Are Straight White Males Not Part of Diversity? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Are Straight White Males Not Part of Diversity?

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:04 pm

Borhas wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
I get that and your right, that should be taken into account. Especially compared to old money waspy types. I also don't want to minimize the signifcant discrimination and injustices that many white immigrants faced. I just don't think it's near the kind of brutality and exploitation that non-whites, esp. blacks faced for hundreds of years.
I'm african american, jewish, and native american.
dude, quit hogging all the fucking diversity
Haha +1. I need some of that diversity.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:19 pm

now everyone - let it die.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:22 pm

PDaddy wrote: Not true. Whites made Jesus white b/c they wanted to propagate white superiority to Africans, and to slaves. The missionaries taught Christianity to Africans so they could rob the Africans of their material goods, namely the salt and gold that was abundant in Sub-Saharan Africa. They traded their guns for these goods and African slaves. While the slaves built the Colonies and the Carribean Islands, Continental Africans were at war with each other with the guns the Eurpopeans traded to them. Africa has been war-torn ever since. The image of a white Jesus helped that happen.

It is true the Christianity was a force to oppress Africans, but cut the noble savage shit, Africans didn't need European guns to have an excuse to kill each other.

edited for punctuation
Last edited by Grizz on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:22 pm

That school shit is a joke
the same people who control the school system control the prison system
and the whole social system ever since slavery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf1QcHs4vGY

(sorry I just like dead prez... white people love rappers nobody listens to)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 pm

rad law wrote:
PDaddy wrote: Not true. Whites made Jesus white b/c they wanted to propagate white superiority to Africans, and to slaves. The missionaries taught Christianity to Africans so they could rob the Africans of their material goods, namely the salt and gold that was abundant in Sub-Saharan Africa. They traded their guns for these goods and African slaves. While the slaves built the Colonies and the Carribean Islands, Continental Africans were at war with each other with the guns the Eurpopeans traded to them. Africa has been war-torn ever since. The image of a white Jesus helped that happen.

It is true the Christianity was a force to oppress Africans, but cut the noble savage shit, African's didn't need European guns to have an excuse to kill each other.

dammit

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Straight males already make up about 90% (at least) of the typical law firm practice.

At least 5/10 or 6/10 callbacks from a typical recruiter are at least straight white males, with maybe the final 2/10 or 3/10 being straight white females. This is obviously an estimate, but no one can argue the demographics of the typical law firm being overwhelming white with minority lawyers, asians and blacks and hispanics, hardly represented at associate level and almost never represented at partner level.

As for the diversity kid thing, the majority of lawyers are white straight males and so you will typically see straight white males in whatever law venture you should choose to participate. Most straight white male law students, believe it or not, are good people who come from relatively stable households, and are willing to mentor poorer kids.

I'm sure there are minorities that help, but evidently not everyone who was raised relatively poor wants to jump right back into that environment during law school. I was raised poor and I certainly won't be revving up to jump back into that arena. I'll help, but I want to experience the "high life" before I do.
Last edited by Keile on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 pm

dp73816 wrote:
rad law wrote:
It is true the Christianity was a force to oppress Africans, but cut the noble savage shit, African's didn't need European guns to have an excuse to kill each other.
dammit
I haven't been following this conversation... What the hell has this got to do with anything? People kill people. They do it more efficiently when they have guns over spears. White people gave Africans guns and Europe, historically, created many of the modern day divisions in Africa that cause the great many conflicts there. I don't really care. I think that even if Europe hadn't caused them that they should aid the less fortunate because it breeds a better future for everyone (cliche but true). Same thing with the United States and South America. Whether we want to admit that we had something to do with problems there, its good to help people in a world with a global market place.

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 pm

rad law wrote:

But they did need Europeans to suffer from and spread life-threatening diseases amongst each other. I also believe that Europeans destroyed any semblance of familial relations and tribal unity when they captured Africans and sold them off as dehumanized goods (ie-slaves) in fulfilling their manifest destiny.

No matter how much you'd like to spin history, the fact remained that life was better for Africans before Europeans intruded and pillaged everything and anything of value in Africa.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:30 pm

Borhas wrote:That school shit is a joke

White people love rappers nobody listens too? White people make up the majority... this whole statement gives me a headache.

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
rad law wrote:

But they did need Europeans to suffer from and spread life-threatening diseases amongst each other. I also believe that Europeans destroyed any semblance of familial relations and tribal unity when they captured Africans and sold them off as dehumanized goods (ie-slaves) in fulfilling their manifest destiny.

No matter how much you'd like to spin history, the fact remained that life was better for Africans before Europeans intruded and pillaged everything and anything of value in Africa.
This is stupid and irrelevant. We aren't discussing history here.
Last edited by Keile on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:32 pm

rad law wrote:

It is true the Christianity was a force to oppress Africans, but cut the noble savage shit, Africans didn't need European guns to have an excuse to kill each other.

edited for punctuation
At least you understand that the conspiracy was real. I am not saying the Africans were all noble...many were greedy. But the rest is also true. Europeans brought in the guns. And even though the Africans didn't need guns to have an excuse to kill each other, the guns were the instrament that allowed them to do it. Before the guns, they would undercut each other economically. After guns, they discovered what every man has known since, that guns were an expedient way to accomplish their goals. They had wars, but fewer people would have died had Europeans not gave them guns. And the tradeoff was terrible. Salt, gold and slaves were the most valuable commodities they had.

By the way, I don't appreciate the "savage" comment.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Damn Edomites

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:34 pm

PDaddy wrote:
I always thought noble savages referred to Native Americans...

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Keile wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:
rad law wrote:

This is stupid and irrelevant. We aren't discussing history here.
I hope you're directing this at rad law, as well and not just me. And I do have the right to be able to correct someone if that person is mislead or straight-up incorrect.

What are you? A moderator in the making?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Borhas wrote:That school shit is a joke

White people love rappers nobody listens too? White people make up the majority... this whole statement gives me a headache.

combine these two ideas:
--LinkRemoved--
+
--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Keile wrote:Straight males already make up about 90% (at least) of the typical law firm practice.
Where the fuck do you come up with this deranged shit? Pull your head out of your ass and do some research.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:38 pm

Lol @ this whole diatribe. So many assumptions. Sorry that it bothers me that I'll have to work with people of the same mind.

right back at ya

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:40 pm

dp73816 wrote:
Lol @ this whole diatribe. So many assumptions. Sorry that it bothers me that I'll have to work with people of the same mind.

right back at ya
Please dont have kids. Thanks

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

right back at ya
Please dont have kids. Thanks
Why not? Then you would have no one to lecture to

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Oblomov wrote:
Keile wrote:Straight males already make up about 90% (at least) of the typical law firm practice.
Where the fuck do you come up with this deranged shit? Pull your head out of your ass and do some research.
I think he's talking about Big Law. 89% of lawyers and 90% of judges are white... Firms are probably worse in the white department but I'm not going to assume that white=white straight male.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote: But they did need Europeans to suffer from and spread life-threatening diseases amongst each other. I also believe that Europeans destroyed any semblance of familial relations and tribal unity when they captured Africans and sold them off as dehumanized goods (ie-slaves) in fulfilling their manifest destiny.

The European conquest of Africa was horrific. I know. The best UG paper I wrote was one on Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. Life was better for sure, it just seemed like the previous poster was painting an unnecessarily rosy picture of a happy Africa that was messed up by Europeans (correct me if I'm wrong), which is also a nice spin on history. I agree with your above statement, by the way.

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 pm

rad law wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote: But they did need Europeans to suffer from and spread life-threatening diseases amongst each other. I also believe that Europeans destroyed any semblance of familial relations and tribal unity when they captured Africans and sold them off as dehumanized goods (ie-slaves) in fulfilling their manifest destiny.

The European conquest of Africa was horrific. I know. The best UG paper I wrote was one on Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. Life was better for sure, it just seemed like the previous poster was painting an unnecessarily rosy picture of a happy Africa that was messed up by Europeans (correct me if I'm wrong), which is also a nice spin on history. I agree with your above statement, by the way.
Cool.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:46 pm

PDaddy wrote: At least you understand that the conspiracy was real. I am not saying the Africans were all noble...many were greedy. But the rest is also true. Europeans brought in the guns. And even though the Africans didn't need guns to have an excuse to kill each other, the guns were the instrament that allowed them to do it. Before the guns, they would undercut each other economically. After guns, they discovered what every man has known since, that guns were an expedient way to accomplish their goals. They had wars, but fewer people would have died had Europeans not gave them guns. And the tradeoff was terrible. Salt, gold and slaves were the most valuable commodities they had.

They would definitely kill and enslave each other all the time in Africa before Europeans, and Europeans definitely encouraged and enlarged the slave trade. And guns definitely made Africans more efficient at killing each other. I basically agree with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_savage

Not a slight against Africa in any way, it's just a historical term (normally used to refer to Native Americans, yes).

But yeah, this discussion is off topic. Post away.

edited for a shitty tag
Last edited by Grizz on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm

So does white supremacy not exist anymore?

Gunz353

Bronze

Post by Gunz353 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Well, for once, being a gay white male has finally gotten me something besides awkward conversations revealing myself to co-workers and friends.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”