First high school grad in family? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
uncjtd20

New

First high school grad in family?

Post by uncjtd20 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Pretty self explanatory, I was the first one in my family to graduate from high school, all my parents did end up going to college in their thirties. Is that something I should emphasize in apps?

im_blue

Gold

Re: First high school grad in family?

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Sounds pretty shady to me to claim first high school graduate on a technicality, when your parents are college graduates.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Yeah it only works as a soft when your parents didn't get education themselves. As your parents have college educations... you can talk about it, but it won't give you much of a boost at all.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:58 pm

im_blue wrote:Sounds pretty shady to me to claim first high school graduate on a technicality, when your parents are college graduates.
+1

swooshnke

New

Post by swooshnke » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:01 pm

im_blue wrote:Sounds pretty shady to me to claim first high school graduate on a technicality, when your parents are college graduates.
maybe they got their GEDS?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:43 pm

swooshnke wrote:
maybe they got their GEDS?
Right, they could have graduated college without a high school diploma, through a GED or community college.

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Statistically, that's makes you a super-URM, but unfortunately I don't think schools give it the weight they should.

It is probably worth noting in a diversity statement. I would be honest about the particulars; it still makes you stand out from the average applicant.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”