URM Personal Statment..Going to Send to Harvard TODAY!! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Bronze

Re: URM Personal Statment..Going to Send to Harvard TODAY!!

Post by 4910 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:42 pm

This is essay is one of the best i've read on TLS. You will get into HYS with ease no matter what your numbers are. Be at ease and turn it in right now!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 pm

4910 wrote:This is essay is one of the best i've read on TLS. You will get into HYS with ease no matter what your numbers are. Be at ease and turn it in right now!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:48 pm

If this essay and another one I've seen and commented on is the caliber of applications that come in on the deadline...I think the adcomms will be so gracious and accept apps that put some thought into applying. I read some data that showed that UCLA received about a quarter of their applications on the deadline.

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:22 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Last edited by 4910 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:23 am

4910 wrote:OP, let us know if you get into Harvard with that essay,if you do, i will be ashamed that I ever wanted to go to that school
There's no reason to be rude. An effective personal statement isn't an easy thing to write.

jsoell

New

Post by jsoell » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:56 pm

billyez wrote:
4910 wrote:OP, let us know if you get into Harvard with that essay,if you do, i will be ashamed that I ever wanted to go to that school
There's no reason to be rude. An effective personal statement isn't an easy thing to write.
+1 - People should be critical of the piece (that's ostensibly why they're posting it here), but all comments like that do is make people second guess asking the community for help.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:03 pm

OP, did your mom really say
“Alex will not be joining us this evening”,
?

It sounds unrealistically formal to me, so if those weren't actually her exact words, I'd suggest changing this line.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm

jsoell wrote:
billyez wrote:
+1 - People should be critical of the piece (that's ostensibly why they're posting it here), but all comments like that do is make people second guess asking the community for help.

People should second guess applying at the deadline with a PS that seems to have been written in 45 minutes. This may not be the case but I get the sense that most of the negative comments stem from applicants that spent a lot of time preparing and planning to apply to law school. Sending low quality pieces to Harvard is a bit insulting to many that an applicant can get in to Harvard over thousands of other applicants on a last minute decision to apply without any thoughtfulness in their application.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:50 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:People should second guess applying at the deadline with a PS that seems to have been written in 45 minutes. This may not be the case but I get the sense that most of the negative comments stem from applicants that spent a lot of time preparing and planning to apply to law school. Sending low quality pieces to Harvard is a bit insulting to many that an applicant can get in to Harvard over thousands of other applicants on a last minute decision to apply without any thoughtfulness in their application.
TITCR!

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:22 pm

XXXXXXXXXX
Last edited by 4910 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichelFoucault

Bronze

Post by MichelFoucault » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:13 am

pollaclc wrote:OP, did your mom really say
“Alex will not be joining us this evening”,
?

It sounds unrealistically formal to me, so if those weren't actually her exact words, I'd suggest changing this line.
Yeah it would give a stronger dose of realism to your piece. But realistically though you probably wouldn't even want to go to Harvard.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”