Mainstream Asians possibly URM at some law schools? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gareyramey

New

Mainstream Asians possibly URM at some law schools?

Post by gareyramey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Although the majority of Asian law school applicants (Chinese, Japanese, Korean specifically) are not considered URM, do you think there any well-ranked law schools with low numbers of Asian students that would give Asians a URM bonus in the application process?

dakatz

Gold

Re: Mainstream Asians possibly URM at some law schools?

Post by dakatz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:04 pm

gareyramey wrote:Although the majority of Asian law school applicants (Chinese, Japanese, Korean specifically) are not considered URM, do you think there any well-ranked law schools with low numbers of Asian students that would give Asians a URM bonus in the application process?
If you can find some law school with a very low number of Asian students, then they might give you a better look because you can diversify their class. But from the law school visits I have made, I've seen a ton of Asian students. So I don't know where you will find such a lack of diversity. Certainly not at any of the top schools.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Define "well-ranked." In the top 50 you'll have to look at the south (GA, AL, MS, etc).

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:08 pm

There are just too many rice eaters out there for any school not to have an overrepresented population of chopstick fanatics.

1WingedAngel

New

Post by 1WingedAngel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:34 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:There are just too many rice eaters out there for any school not to have an overrepresented population of chopstick fanatics.
There aren't. It's a cultural values thing that pushes more to pursue higher education.

It would be great if law schools would give separate consideration to south asians & pacific islanders, considering their circumstances and histories tend to differ greatly from Chinese, Japanese, and Korean applicants. It's ludacris for law schools and everyone else to group half of the world into such an immensely varied category.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:41 pm

1WingedAngel wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:There are just too many rice eaters out there for any school not to have an overrepresented population of chopstick fanatics.
There aren't. It's a cultural values thing that pushes more to pursue higher education.

It would be great if law schools would give separate consideration to south asians & pacific islanders, considering their circumstances and histories tend to differ greatly from Chinese, Japanese, and Korean applicants. It's ludacris for law schools and everyone else to group half of the world into such an immensely varied category.
+1
I'm part Norwegian and I can't tell you how much it sucks to get lumped in with a bunch of Swedes! Don't even get me started on those Finnish peckers.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
1WingedAngel wrote:

+1
I'm part Norwegian and I can't tell you how much it sucks to get lumped in with a bunch of Swedes! Don't even get me started on those Finnish peckers.
IKEA is Swedish and therefore Sweden > Norway. Though I wholeheartedly agree with you on Finland.

Lurkster

Bronze

Post by Lurkster » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:02 pm

The whole of Scandinavia is awesome.

katalatriste

New

Post by katalatriste » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:19 am

1WingedAngel wrote:

+100000000000

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”