Stanford Latino Law Association Letter? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawrencecis

New

Stanford Latino Law Association Letter?

Post by lawrencecis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Last edited by lawrencecis on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightbulb1986

Bronze

Re: Stanford Latino Law Association Letter?

Post by lightbulb1986 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:26 pm

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawrencecis

New

Post by lawrencecis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Odale. Props for getting one from Yale, too.

Ya, I sent my app. in today. The Latino letter say, "we implore you to consider Stanford." I was like wow....then I got my shit together asap.

I chose the option to send the payment in myself, but also sent a fee waiver app (it was in the packet of stuff they sent me). By the way, it was really cool too that Stanford sent by far the biggest packet of info. than other schools.

Good luck.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:51 am

It's clear that they sent out the blast to all minorities of various sorts who had at least a remote chance of admission--I spoke to someone who got a letter targeted at Native Americans, and I got one targeted at LGBT. They seem to have come in a single wave. Stanford appears to have been more selective than Yale in to whom they sent it. When the Yale letters went out a week or so ago, people with numbers way below Yale's standards, even for URMs (like 3.0/160 kind of ranges), reported getting them, so the Yale letter means very little. The Stanford letter might mean more as I haven't heard of anyone with below a 170 LSAT who got one, but it's still just a recruitment letter: Does not, at all, improve your chances of admission beyond what they were already.

lawrencecis

New

Post by lawrencecis » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:04 am

Yeah, that seems true. But just to give some readers out there hope: when I got the reg. brochure for the school, they claim that last cycle they took people from 160-180 and 3.14-4.14 (and most likely the lows are from URMs and they probably had very good other numbers and factors).

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:54 am

lawrencecis wrote:Yeah, that seems true. But just to give some readers out there hope: when I got the reg. brochure for the school, they claim that last cycle they took people from 160-180 and 3.14-4.14 (and most likely the lows are from URMs and they probably had very good other numbers and factors).
The lows are probably not just URMs but splitter-URMs. So they might have admitted a 160/3.95 Native American and a 179/3.14 African American. And the low GPA number almost certainly belongs to someone long out of undergrad, at which point UG GPA matters much less. (Also, not sure if you're talking about Yale or Stanford, but Yale is really big on people who have done great things with their lives outside of school and is actually less numbers-focused than the other T14 despite having the highest medians. Stanford is relatively holistic, too, although not to the extent of Yale.)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:16 am

I got a letter like that from the latino law association at Columbia encouraging me to apply last year... then the bastards rejected me.

It means they want more Hispanics to apply, but it doesn't tell you anything at all about your odds of actually getting in.

lawrencecis

New

Post by lawrencecis » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I got a letter like that from the latino law association at Columbia encouraging me to apply last year... then the bastards rejected me.

It means they want more Hispanics to apply, but it doesn't tell you anything at all about your odds of actually getting in.
Dang, that blows. I got a fee waiver from Columbia, but didn't get the Latino letter....

And, I don't understand why they would want more URM's to apply. Whenever they say X number of applicants applied, they don't breakdown the number by ethnicity at all (from what I've seen). So I don't see why they would want you to apply because you are a URM, unless they want to seriously consider your application. If they seriously wanted to get their applications up they could just send out a whole crap load of fee waivers to everyone (although they would lose some green in the process). This whole thing if f'n crapshot to me...

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Just apply dammit.

Underestimate yourself all you want, but just apply to the good schools at the same time.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:31 pm

BenJ wrote:It's clear that they sent out the blast to all minorities of various sorts who had at least a remote chance of admission--I spoke to someone who got a letter targeted at Native Americans, and I got one targeted at LGBT. They seem to have come in a single wave. Stanford appears to have been more selective than Yale in to whom they sent it. When the Yale letters went out a week or so ago, people with numbers way below Yale's standards, even for URMs (like 3.0/160 kind of ranges), reported getting them, so the Yale letter means very little. The Stanford letter might mean more as I haven't heard of anyone with below a 170 LSAT who got one, but it's still just a recruitment letter: Does not, at all, improve your chances of admission beyond what they were already.
Last edited by Doritos on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:37 pm

lawrencecis wrote:And, I don't understand why they would want more URM's to apply. Whenever they say X number of applicants applied, they don't breakdown the number by ethnicity at all (from what I've seen). So I don't see why they would want you to apply because you are a URM, unless they want to seriously consider your application. If they seriously wanted to get their applications up they could just send out a whole crap load of fee waivers to everyone (although they would lose some green in the process). This whole thing if f'n crapshot to me...
I think it's because they want a certain % of URMs, not necessarily URMs above a certain GPA/LSAT level. If they get more URMs to apply it increases the chances of them getting URMs with better GPA/LSATs so they don't have to take the weaker ones.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”