Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fl0w

Silver

Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 pm

If all goes well between now and when she decides to go to law school, this girl actually might end up BEING the next oprah.

Seriously though, the story is pretty inspiring. I feel like I've gone through a lot and worked pretty hard in my life, but reading something like this puts me to shame and makes me realize there is always more to be done.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... ory?page=1

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Post by Tanicius » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 pm

fl0w wrote:If all goes well between now and when she decides to go to law school, this girl actually might end up BEING the next oprah.

Seriously though, the story is pretty inspiring. I feel like I've gone through a lot and worked pretty hard in my life, but reading something like this puts me to shame and makes me realize there is always more to be done.

That is inspiring, but it's also sad to think that she might have a hard time fitting in with the personalities of a lot of people at Harvard. I guess, though, that that's never stopped her before in much worse environments, so I'm sure she'll succeed.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Tanicius wrote:
fl0w wrote:If all goes well between now and when she decides to go to law school, this girl actually might end up BEING the next oprah.

That is inspiring, but it's also sad to think that she might have a hard time fitting in with the personalities of a lot of people at Harvard. I guess, though, that that's never stopped her before in much worse environments, so I'm sure she'll succeed.
Yeah, the major barrier I see for her is counseling to address / deal with some of the obvious issues that will persist as a result of her upbringing. But I think that fitting in and making friends will become exponentially easier now that she will have found some stability in her life. It's hard to make meaningful connections with people when you know you aren't going to be somewhere more than a couple of months, but now she'll have the chance.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:23 pm

it's an honor for Harvard to have a student like her. I wish her the best fwiw
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 pm

what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized
what if the earth goes off course and bumps into the sun? Then it won't matter.

Haha, I qualified my initial post with "if all goes well". I was trying to focus more on the amazing story than the "what if?" scenarios and bets on her failure.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 pm

fl0w wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Yeah, the major barrier I see for her is counseling to address / deal with some of the obvious issues that will persist as a result of her upbringing. But I think that fitting in and making friends will become exponentially easier now that she will have found some stability in her life. It's hard to make meaningful connections with people when you know you aren't going to be somewhere more than a couple of months, but now she'll have the chance.
I meant more of a difficulty relating to her classmates. She's at Harvard. Yeah, some of them come from really rough backgrounds like her, but it'd be safe to say that those students are nowhere near the majority.

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized
What if that is the biggest douchbag question ever asked?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:41 pm

rocross1 wrote:
Then my task is done?

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Lxw wrote:
rocross1 wrote:
Then my task is done?
Is it?

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Thread title + OP's handle = the lulz.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:52 pm

LawandOrder wrote:Thread title + OP's handle = the lulz.
i see what you did thar

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 pm

rocross1 wrote:
I'm surprised it took that many posts for a douchebag comment. I was expecting it in post #2 or #3

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:56 pm

AlanShore wrote:
rocross1 wrote:
I'm surprised it took that many posts for a douchebag comment. I was expecting it in post #2 or #3
Sorry, I was too busy responding to threads on http://www.howtobeadouchebag.com

JAP1985

New

Post by JAP1985 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Great story. But what's up with the Michelle Obama reference? Aside from being married to the POTUS, has she really done that much? Sounds like this girl already has her beat.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:09 pm

*Debating starting AA flamewar*

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 pm

What a funny coincidence that she's a black woman and so are Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama, the two role models people compare her to. If she were white it'd be an obligatory reference to either Eleanor Roosevelt or Hillary Clinton. (Apparently we can only have role models that look like us.)

Half-surprised nobody called her 'the next Rosa Parks... but for the homeless.' "She refused to keep her educational opportunities at the back of the bus!"

Gwen

Bronze

Post by Gwen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Rosa Parks is overrated

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:34 pm

caliborn wrote:Rosa Parks is overrated
hahahaha....

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 pm

AlanShore wrote:
rocross1 wrote:
Something tells me she has some practice handling stress.

Also, please tell me I'm not the only person who took like two hours to figure out why her name sounded so familiar:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106056/

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote: Also, please tell me I'm not the only person who took like two hours to figure out why her name sounded so familiar:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106056/
haha, i actually recognized that immeditaely

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 pm

exactly like homless to harvard. the movie.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:50 pm

It's stories like these that inspire you. It's also interesting that there was alot of help available to her, if she went out to seek it.
She began to reach out to organizations and mentors: the Upward Bound Program, Higher Edge L.A., Experience Berkeley and South Central Scholars; teachers, counselors and college alumni networks. They helped her enroll in summer community college classes, gave her access to computers and scholarship applications and taught her about networking.
When her college applications were due in December, James and Patricia London of South Central Scholars invited Khadijah to their home in Rancho Palos Verdes to help her write her essays.

When they went to return her to skid row, her mother and sister were gone.

Khadijah accepted the Londons' invitation to spend the rest of her school year with them.

In their comfortable hilltop home, Khadijah learned a new set of lessons. The orthopedic doctor and nurse taught her table manners, money management and grooming.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:53 pm

The orthopedic doctor and nurse taught her table manners, money management and grooming.
Depending on context, that's either very sweet or very condescending.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:55 pm

LawandOrder wrote:*Debating starting AA flamewar*
You would.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”