Does being URM reeeally help? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nire120

New

Does being URM reeeally help?

Post by nire120 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Last edited by nire120 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oblomov

Bronze

Re: Does being URM reeeally help?

Post by Oblomov » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Per quotas: While I believe that AA does operate on a quota system, it's more of a minimum than a maximum. Let's say that UVA, in January, has accepted its target # of PRs; it's not going to hurt a PR applying with scores that are competitive inside the general applicant pool. In other words, the AA "quotas" aren't going to keep out an applicant that would have been admitted sans "boost." UVA would take three times the number of URMs it normally would if these applicants would raise its LSAT stats.

Your numbers are fairly weak, but not absolutely out of the question for lower t-14 without any AA consideration, and not unreasonable for 14-25. It's probably in your interest to get your apps in as early as possible, but if i were you I would certainly apply to any t-14 that I was interested in.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”