Half URM dilemma... Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MichelFoucault

Bronze

Half URM dilemma...

Post by MichelFoucault » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:39 am

One of my parents is a URM, the other is not. I really want to write my PS (partially) about how this contributed to my strenghts and unique POV. Will this undermine my URM boost? Furthermore, I was raised in a community dominated by the culture of my non-URM parent. However, my non-URM parent passed away when I was very young, so I was raised by my soley by my URM parent. I felt most comfortable choosing the URM category on LSAC, so on paper I am a URM. Will my PS undermine my URM boost? Should I be tactical and write a PS on a different subject?

Havaianas

Bronze

Re: Half URM dilemma...

Post by Havaianas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:02 am

That sounds like a good DS to me - save your PS for something else

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:14 am

Sounds like a good topic to me.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:19 am

I did almost the exact same, as I have one URM and one non-URM parent as well. I've always marked URM on everything since the 1st grade because this is how I identified myself, but wrote my DS about the dual background. Any questions feel free to PM.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:48 am

In anthropology there is a prhase tossed around to describe the American attitude towards ethnicity: "the one drop rule." Meaning that the prevailing American conception of ethnicity finds that any mixture, even, say, 75% white, 25% black, or even less, would make a person ethnically black. This sort of logic has been used to discriminate against minorities for years, so why not flip the script?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:57 am

MichelFoucault wrote:One of my parents is a URM, the other is not. I really want to write my PS (partially) about how this contributed to my strenghts and unique POV. Will this undermine my URM boost? Furthermore, I was raised in a community dominated by the culture of my non-URM parent. However, my non-URM parent passed away when I was very young, so I was raised by my soley by my URM parent. I felt most comfortable choosing the URM category on LSAC, so on paper I am a URM. Will my PS undermine my URM boost? Should I be tactical and write a PS on a different subject?
Law school deans don't care.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:37 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:In anthropology there is a prhase tossed around to describe the American attitude towards ethnicity: "the one drop rule." Meaning that the prevailing American conception of ethnicity finds that any mixture, even, say, 75% white, 25% black, or even less, would make a person ethnically black. This sort of logic has been used to discriminate against minorities for years, so why not flip the script?
+1

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:04 pm

My mom is Hispanic; my dad was Caucasian. My dad died when I was in high school, and that's when I reconnected with my minority relatives. You can make a good essay out of that, OP, either a PS or a DS.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:21 pm

op, no one will bat an eyelash. good luck.

as an aside, does the (i'm sure totally uncomfortable) fact that most blacks at elite schools are either biracial or immigrants ever get talked about openly? as i think diversity should be the only reason for aa, i'm ok with this to the extent that these people bring to schools the important perspective of growing up a urm in this country.

however, if schools are trying correct for past discrimination through admissions, they're probably not doing a very good job, no?

Gwen

Bronze

Post by Gwen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:31 pm

talibkweli wrote:op, no one will bat an eyelash. good luck.

as an aside, does the (i'm sure totally uncomfortable) fact that most blacks at elite schools are either biracial or immigrants ever get talked about openly? as i think diversity should be the only reason for aa, i'm ok with this to the extent that these people bring to schools the important perspective of growing up a urm in this country.

however, if schools are trying correct for past discrimination through admissions, they're probably not doing a very good job, no?
How so?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:15 pm

MichelFoucault

Bronze

Post by MichelFoucault » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Havaianas wrote:That sounds like a good DS to me - save your PS for something else
+1. Also, OP, you've asked this question multiple times. The answer really doesn't change from day-to-day.
Did I? Specifically about my PS? If so, my bad.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”