Do I write a diversity statement? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rookhawk

Bronze

Do I write a diversity statement?

Post by rookhawk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:52 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hv1

Bronze

Re: Do I write a diversity statement?

Post by hv1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:16 pm

rookhawk wrote:I wanted to ask a question about diversity statements, when to write them, etc.

I've submitted all my law school applications so if I add anything now, it would be via email sent directly to the schools.

My personal statement did not address my URM status at all because frankly, I didn't really give my ancestry much thought as a compelling argument in my personal statement.

So the question is, do I write an additional "diversity statement" and send it to the respective schools or do I just stand pat with what I have now. (the only URM identifier is on my LSAC account having checked "hispanic & caucasian") Would particular schools in the tier-1 be ones that should get a diversity addendum whereas others should not?

Further, do I go into very personal information on a diversity statement; e.g. family members in jail, parents never went to college, grew up on in poverty, family lost their farm, I bounced from school to school, administrator's at school beat me, most likely to fail, etc, etc, etc.?

I didn't do any of this for business school because I assumed no one wanted to hear "I should have been a victim of my circumstances but instead I'm not" types of notes...yet it seems law school is a different animal altogether.

I could use help at this late hour.

Regards,

Rookhawk

+ 1, my thoughts also, didn't submit at DS. Wrote a compelling PS. Didn't want to bring up anything about my circumstances but instead focus on all the positives.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm

hv1 wrote:

+ 1, my thoughts also, didn't submit at DS. Wrote a compelling PS. Didn't want to bring up anything about my circumstances but instead focus on all the positives.
sometimes your circumstances can accent/highlight/elevate your positives, no?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm

rookhawk wrote: administrator's at school beat me
wtf? is this why you think schools will not admit you, because you sued for undergrad for abuse?

... well, if you're for real, which i am seriously unsure of
dont write it about a URM status that means nothing to you, and dont write about abuse.

maybe write about your parents being farmers who never went to college and loosing their farm

its a little late though

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”