URM Diversity Statement Necessary? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SportsFanatic

Bronze

URM Diversity Statement Necessary?

Post by SportsFanatic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:06 am

Has anyone decided to forego writing a diversity statement? I've always heard that as a URM you should write a diversity statement, however, I can't seem anything compelling to write about. Outside of being a URM with a few years of financial hardship I've been blessed to live a pretty good life. I considered writing a DS on my work experience as I was selected into a leadership development program, but find myself reaching... Anyone found success with admissions as a URM without writing a DS?

dakatz

Gold

Re: URM Diversity Statement Necessary?

Post by dakatz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:10 am

I am a URM and didn't write a DS. Instead, I worked my diversity characteristics into my PS. Its not that my PS is specifically about my diversity, but the theme is weaved into the overall story without being the focus. Sure, I could have gone into more detail with my background and how active I have been in the hispanic community, but I touch upon these issues in my PS and I just felt like all bases were covered.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 am

SportsFanatic wrote:Has anyone decided to forego writing a diversity statement? I've always heard that as a URM you should write a diversity statement, however, I can't seem anything compelling to write about. Outside of being a URM with a few years of financial hardship I've been blessed to live a pretty good life. I considered writing a DS on my work experience as I was selected into a leadership development program, but find myself reaching... Anyone found success with admissions as a URM without writing a DS?
Personally, I feel like anything that can help you and give adcomms more reason to except you is good to take advantage of. However, if you dont have anything to write about then there is nothing wrong with not writing one.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:19 am

actually, it's very detrimental if you don't write one unless your PS is heavy (I mean 100% heavy of a diversity statement)

No diversity statement=giving schools the implication that your not really going to add diversity. Always take advantage fo taht diversity statement.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:10 pm

my personal statement revolved around a story of racial profiling. i felt it redundant to write a diversity statement when i'd already touched on the fact that i will bring a unique perspective to class discussions.

i dont see the harm in writing one, but i'm wary of stacking my application with 100 addenda.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Sports Fanatic, I know where you are coming from since we have very similar backgrounds. Write about how you would add a unique perspective to the class. I wrote about how being middle class made my experiences different, and how I gained the ability to interact with people from various backgrounds. It might not be as compelling as someone else's statement, but you'll be fine if you submit something that displays your ability to write well.

amg0996

New

Post by amg0996 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:54 pm

It is write good. Not well. Write the statment.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:38 pm

I didn't write one for any of my apps as well. I have the typical inner city experience and didn't really feel like writing about that.

fenderjsm88

Bronze

Post by fenderjsm88 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:32 pm

I did not write a diversity statement for this cycle. After a few disappointing rejections and being waitlisted at Illinois (which LSP categorized as an "ADMIT" for me even without URM status,) I wrote up a DS and sent it to the schools that waitlisted me. I am considering sending it to those schools I have not heard back from yet, just in case it helps.

My URM status is kind of ambiguous, however, considering that I checked both Mexican-American and white on my applications. In my case, I can see how a DS could be invaluable. Maybe if you only check "black" or "Mexican-American" on an application, a DS is not weighed as heavily.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:I did not write a diversity statement for this cycle. After a few disappointing rejections and being waitlisted at Illinois (which LSP categorized as an "ADMIT" for me even without URM status,) I wrote up a DS and sent it to the schools that waitlisted me. I am considering sending it to those schools I have not heard back from yet, just in case it helps.

My URM status is kind of ambiguous, however, considering that I checked both Mexican-American and white on my applications. In my case, I can see how a DS could be invaluable. Maybe if you only check "black" or "Mexican-American" on an application, a DS is not weighed as heavily.

Hmm. This brings up two questions for me.
1. Is it true they remove your URM status box from the app when it's under review and that adcoms wont even know you're a URM if you don't write a diversity statement?
2. If you're half a URM or 1/4 URM should you check both your relevant races even if the other race is not URM or does the school not care if you say you're, for instance, hmong and white?

sorry to ask, i know people hate URM questions. I really dont know where else to find the answer though

thanks
-g

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:43 am

I think UMich hides all biography information so they don't know you are an URM at first.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:I think UMich hides all biography information so they don't know you are an URM at first.

just michigan?
and how does that even help if it's only at first?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”