i'm kurdish, does anybody care? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawman335

Bronze

Re: i'm kurdish, does anybody care?

Post by lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:57 am

thats not a problem u need not mention it.......

AffirmativeOffense

New

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:33 am

vanwinkle wrote:
mhernton wrote:That is a lot more interesting that checking a box that says URM.
This continues to be the single dumbest thing I see on TLS, and no matter how many times I correct it, someone else pops up to say it and I have to correct them all over again.

THERE IS NO URM BOX.

Show me the box that "says URM" on a law school application. Go on, show me, I'll cough up $20 if you can.

People totally misrepresent how URM status works on these forums, and it's sad how people actually applaud the responses that end up being so wrong. Yes, it's very touching and unique to come from a war-torn background and make the rise from there to college graduate applying to American law schools. It also can make an enormous difference in applications; there are many law schools love to take at least a few people with poor numbers but truly interesting and well-written stories, including Berkeley which is T6.

However, OP didn't mention that he escaped prison or defected or has been living in political asylum. He just asked if being Kurdish would help, and the correct answer is: If you have an interesting story it can go in a Diversity Statement that can help, depending on how good of a story you have, but it's not likely to help as much as being one of the URM categories.

Law schools already can and do make special cases for truly unique stories. But that isn't what OP was asking about, he was asking if he is URM or not, and whether he should write about his background despite that. The correct answers are simply "no" and "yes" respectively. Going on anti-URM tangents doesn't help OP at all and just makes things more confusing.
It's is widely known that heavily recruited minority's applications are reviewed outside the general applicant pool at many schools. And there is at least one ABA accredited school which states bluntly on its website that it actively recruits Caucasians. If you think checking the race in the box that corresponds with a race that is actively recruited doesn't give you an automatic advantage, then you're being very naive.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am

AffirmativeOffense wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
mhernton wrote:That is a lot more interesting that checking a box that says URM.
This continues to be the single dumbest thing I see on TLS, and no matter how many times I correct it, someone else pops up to say it and I have to correct them all over again.

THERE IS NO URM BOX.

Show me the box that "says URM" on a law school application. Go on, show me, I'll cough up $20 if you can.

People totally misrepresent how URM status works on these forums, and it's sad how people actually applaud the responses that end up being so wrong. Yes, it's very touching and unique to come from a war-torn background and make the rise from there to college graduate applying to American law schools. It also can make an enormous difference in applications; there are many law schools love to take at least a few people with poor numbers but truly interesting and well-written stories, including Berkeley which is T6.

However, OP didn't mention that he escaped prison or defected or has been living in political asylum. He just asked if being Kurdish would help, and the correct answer is: If you have an interesting story it can go in a Diversity Statement that can help, depending on how good of a story you have, but it's not likely to help as much as being one of the URM categories.

Law schools already can and do make special cases for truly unique stories. But that isn't what OP was asking about, he was asking if he is URM or not, and whether he should write about his background despite that. The correct answers are simply "no" and "yes" respectively. Going on anti-URM tangents doesn't help OP at all and just makes things more confusing.
It's is widely known that heavily recruited minority's applications are reviewed outside the general applicant pool at many schools. And there is at least one ABA accredited school which states bluntly on its website that it actively recruits Caucasians. If you think checking the race in the box that corresponds with a race that is actively recruited doesn't give you an automatic advantage, then you're being very naive.
Sorry... but you completely missed vanwinkle's point, and you are arguing against a point he didn't make.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:22 pm

booboo wrote:Sorry... but you completely missed vanwinkle's point, and you are arguing against a point he didn't make.
Thank you for pointing this out so I don't have to.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:23 pm

lawman335 wrote:thats not a problem u need not mention it.......
Wow, you have no clue what you're even talking about. Please stop posting on the Internet, it's painfully stupid to watch.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:24 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
lawman335 wrote:thats not a problem u need not mention it.......
Wow, you have no clue what you're even talking about. Please stop posting on the Internet, it's painfully stupid to watch.
Lol, mean. (Kind of true, though.)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”