Because I really am that narcissistic Forum

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Because I really am that narcissistic

Post by Mulliganstew » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 pm

My cycle has been all sorts of crazy this year. To be honest, it's probably the most fitting way for me to enter law school. I was seriously considering applying for law school for this past fall at one point, but I thought that there was only the one October LSAT test and that I had missed it. Let's just say that I have a bizarre relationship with research.

I guess I need to explain my history with research. The first telling moment was in my Tae Kwan Do class when I was 6. My dad (apparently this is genetic) heard we had to break a board with a jump kick to get past the white belt stage. So, instead of finding out what KIND of board, my dad assumes it's a 2x4 and has me nearly breaking my little kid foot trying to put my still-growing foot bones through a plank of solid wood that could stop an arrow.

Needless to say, I retired from martial arts with a white belt thinking, "Truly, you have to be a mutant child to become a yellow belt."

I'll spare you the gory details until my next favorite mix-up with research in pharmacy school. Thankfully, this one was not my doing. My friend and I were doing a presentation for Physiology on the chemical reactions in the brain caused by caffeine. The presentation was not going that well, and the final blow came near the end. My friend had a picture of a brain on the powerpoint, and my teacher stopped us before saying, "You realize that's a rat brain right?"

We stared blankly at him for a few awkward moments before my friend replied, "We fail right?"

The whole class started laughing and we took our seats knowing that rat brains were now our enemies.

Anyway, back to law school. So, I graduated from my undergraduate school last May and searched for work for a few months before deciding to further my professional options with graduate school. My friends and I started up a convention in St. Louis that this year hosted 1750 geeks in one convention center. To this day, it still blows my mind how much we accomplished with the convention. Because of that convention, I decided to try to get an advanced degree in Event Marketing, but October rolled around and I realized that I had been spending less time worrying about the actual convention itself and more time worrying about our trademark and intellectual property situation. This little realization combined with my previous work in public access television made me decide to finally put some effort into researching the opportunities of law school.

I studied for the LSAT for a few days and ended up with an alright score of 161 on the December LSAT. I was happy with it, but I knew I could do better. So, I studied not harder but differently for the February LSAT and scored the 166 I am now using to shop around.

My applications so far have gone well for me, admittedly.

Drexel gave me $60,000 in scholarship money.
Southern and Northern Illinois both gave full rides
Depaul just gave me $45,000 in scholarship money.
Miami accepted me but the money well was dry. :|

I'm still waiting to hear back from:

Baylor
Lewis and Clark
San Diego
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois

As of right now, I'm torn. Drexel was amazing to me during the ASD. I was blown away by the enthusiasm at the school and the enthusiasm shown by the law firms who take part in the Drexel Co-op program.

Still, I'm an Illinois resident and being an Illinois law student is something of a fantasy for me. On top of that, I'd love to end up at Iowa or Indiana too.

Anything can happen still. Tomorrow, Illinois should be sending their decision to me. I'm praying for swift mercy or a miracle. We'll see. I'll try to keep this updated.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Re: Because I really am that narcissistic

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:20 am

A quick update:

Rejected at Lewis and Clark (I was gamed apparently.)
Waitlisted (on hold for 2nd review) at Illinois.

Well, the cycle, for me at least, is coming to an unsurprisingly downer of a close. I'll try and stay on the waitlist at Illinois, but that's looking less and less likely. I wish I could say I wish I had taken the LSAT in October so I could have gotten my apps in quicker, but I took the October test as a practice and it brutalized me. So, I'll be happy with what I've gotten so far, and hope for the best with the rest.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Re: Because I really am that narcissistic

Post by Mulliganstew » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:43 pm

Here's where my blog becomes a word of warning to aspiring 0L's entering law school in 2010.

Do NOT take the February LSAT and expect it to get you into schools that normally would have rejected you. This late in the cycle, they've almost certainly filled up their accepted pool, and you will almost certainly end up on the waitlist. Don't believe me? Try it. So far, my 166 LSAT has earned me two waitlists, a rejection from Lewis & Cheat, and scholarship offers up the wazoo.

THAT is the reason to take the February LSAT. Take it to get you off of a waitlist you're already on, or to get better scholarship offers from schools that would already accept you. Other than that, don't bother.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Re: Because I really am that lucky

Post by Mulliganstew » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:33 pm

My next bit of advice comes a bit late. Waitlists aren't necessarily a bad thing! I got off of two of them over the summer both were great schools offering me competitive scholarships. I'm actually attending one of them: Indiana University - Bloomington. Considering I was dead set on attending Drexel, the switch to Indiana was a surprise for a lot of people in my life. Still, they're a top ranked public school and one of the best towns to live in in the Midwest.

I'm also finding the first year of school rather easy so far. The reading is getting more and more involved, but focusing on why we're learning the cases we are instead of briefing them mindlessly has helped me a lot. That said, I fully expect to be just as paranoid and terrified as everyone else when finals come around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”