Beer: A Connoisseur's Review Forum

paulmar

New

Beer: A Connoisseur's Review

Post by paulmar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:48 pm

First, I just want to note that "The Beer Thread" in the Lounge is great for suggestions, but there are few reviews of the beers that are suggested. Therefore, I've decided to create this so that those who post suggestions on the Beer thread can write reviews of the beers they suggest. I would've started doing this in the Beer thread, but it is already many pages deep and would be an organizational nightmare to create a coherent string of reviews. So, here it is, THE Beer Review.

For a link to our very own coolkatz's321 personal beer blog, click here: Beerisms (LinkRemoved)

edit: If I didn't make it clear enough, all are welcome to post on this thread. Just try to follow the guidelines to keep it more uniform:

Head:
Body:
Price:
Last edited by paulmar on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulmar

New

Re: Beer: A Connoisseur's Review

Post by paulmar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:20 pm

The g/f and her sister waiting for my review of:
Buffalo Bill's Brewery Orange Blossom Cream Ale and Left Hand Brewing Company's Milk Stout
--ImageRemoved--

Buffalo Bill's Brewery: Orange Blossom Cream Ale (LinkRemoved)
--ImageRemoved--

Head: The head was smooth and creamy, much as it should be. Small, tightly-knit bubbles remained throughout, following each sip to the bottom of the glass. Citrus aromas were abundant. Orange was the dominate, though subtle hints of other citrus fruits came through (grapefruit, tangerine and a bit of lemon).
Body: Upon the first sip, with aid of the head, a bounty of Orange flavor dominates the palate. If anyone ever thought Blue Moon was citrusy/orange-flavored, they haven't had this. It was clean all the way down, with an after-taste of Orange, honey and a bit of a bitter rind flavor. The after-taste reminds me of the taste of Magic Hat's #9 and Dogfish Head's Aprihop.
Price: I got it singularly, as I was at a bistro, and it was $6.00. I suspect that a six-pack would be around $12/13.

Left Hand Brewing Co's Milk Stout (LinkRemoved)
--ImageRemoved--

Head: The head was smooth and smaller than Orange Blossoms. Same small, tightly-knit bubbles, though there was a slight ring left, from the top, after a few sips. The aroma was of coffee, toffee and chocolate, though it reminds me of the Bitter Chocolate Stout that Stone chose for it's anniversary beer in 2008. If it were not for the head, I might be disappointed about the body of it.
Body: Very complex. So many different flavors, bolstered by the head. A rich, roasted experience of toffee, coffee, chocolate and a slightly sweet flavor, much like a caramel. Smooth like other milk stouts, though there was "sticky" quality after finishing each sip. Great milk stout, though the finish could be a little cleaner.
Price: $13/14

paulmar

New

Re: Beer: A Connoisseur's Review

Post by paulmar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:28 pm

http://beerisms.blogspot.com/

Come support us! Coolkatz321 has started this blog and I will now be contributing there. However, I will still post my original reviews on this. Stay tuned, and be sure to check out the site for updates on masterfully-crafted beers!

--ImageRemoved--

Stone Brewery: Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

Appearance - A true stout. It is as dark as night and pours like motor oil. I must admit, I was a bit intimidated by this beer; I was intimidated by its character and the possibility that I'd never find a better chocolate stout. The head can be slightly rocky if you move from the 45 to the 90 at half-glass. I think it was just as tasty without the rockiness.

Aroma - As expected from it's relatively high ABV., it has a quite pungent odor. It smells much like a mixture of soy-sauce a la coffee, and a dash of confectionery chocolate. You know you've got a solid product awaiting.

Mouthfeel - Very thick, but smooth and silky like an oatmeal stout should be - and damn good. This stout is creamy like a milkshake when it comes to body and has a "swish-able" quality that follow suit. I've had it both at 55 degrees and at around 30, and I'd recommend a happy median. While you do get the wonderful flavors at 55, the alcohol can be biting at times, insofar as stouts can bite.

Taste - Heavy chocolate taste. Bitter just as labeled with notes of coffee, though I'd select chocolate as the main squeeze. Semi-sweet on the palate with a dry finish. Wonderful with the wings I had.

Overall - Aside from having the longest name possible, this is one of my more favored stouts, a legend among Chocolates. Stone did it right to celebrate its 12th Anniversary, and I am thankful for being a part of its tradition of master brewing. Beyond the intricately painted designs on the front and thoughtful storytelling on the back, this stout was as complex as any of them and left me drooling for more (and cleanly buzzed). For anyone wishing to experience the diversity that Chocolate stouts can bring, you won't want to miss this wonderful beer.

Grade: A

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”