2L Year They Work You To Death =( Forum

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:22 pm

OMG my last letter of recommendation came in!!!!!!!!!

So I started applying to schools today and I am mucho excited!!!!!!!!!

So far I have applied to:

Northwestern
UCLA
UVA
USC
Georgetown
UNC
Fordham
Wake Forest (Fee Waiver)
Washington & Lee (FREE!!!)
Hastings - LEOP Program
Temple (Fee Waiver)
U San Francisco
Pacific McGeorge (Fee Waiver)

I'm sooooooooo excited!!!! I'll keep you all posted, because I know you are excited for me too :D :D :D

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:21 am

So I'm doing laundry this morning and realized that I didn't check the mail yesterday, so I go and I see a big envelope from Santa Clara. At first I just think oh another brochure great.

Then I see that on the envelope it says "Return Service Requested". So I begin to freak, I'm like OMG maybe hey made their decision, maybe I got in, maybe I get rejected. So I turn the envelope over and i can see through it and see a typed letter in there. OMG it's definitely a decision!!!!!!!!!

I open it up and it says:

Ms. XXXX (they spelled my last name wrong)

"Congratulations...."

And then it went on to say congratulations on your interest in pursuing a law degree we are a great school BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I feel like they know that I submitted Early Action and they thought it would be fun to put a piece of paper that says congratulations. Like why is it even necessary to tease me like that. Get my hopes up just to shoot them down.
Last edited by lishi on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:21 pm

So I've added University of San Diego and Howard to my list of schools applied.

I also am only complete at: Temple, Wake Forest, and Santa Clara. I mean it's good that I went complete at Santa Clara because I'm early action, so I should get my decision sometime soon (hopefully). But I still haven't been complete anywhere else. That makes me sad. All I want is one decision!!! One decision!!!!

Oh and I officially dropped Finance as my second concentration. I will still graduate with a BS in Business Administration, so if I ever want to go back for my MBA i still can. It was a hard decision, but I'm happy with it. I'll be taking more electives so I can raise my GPA, and I'm going to be taking a professional writing and a creative non fiction writing class. So hopefully they will help me more in law school than the finance courses. Also I will be taking a ballet class, so I can be a lawyer ballerina!!!!

UPDATE: I also went complete at Hastings and UVA today!!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

So today my mother guilt tripped me into applying to Harvard. Why would I ever really apply to Harvard. I mean I try to be as optimistic as I possibly can, but I'm also a person who can face reality, unlike my mother. She used the "I have to pay for your tuition this month, and your father and I have paid for your application fees, the least you could do is just apply to Harvard for us. We just really believe that you can do it. It's worth a shot. You never know what might happen." Actually mother I do know what will happen, and now knowing my luck Harvard will be the first decision I get back with a huge stamp on a piece of paper that says REJECTED.

Then I'm sitting in my room, typing up some notes, while my bf goes down and gets the mail. He comes back with a big package from Wake Forest. I get so excited my heart is beating a mile a minute. What does it say? Did I get in? Did they reject me? Nope it's just a brochure. A freaking brochure!!!!! Like thank you but I already applied, and my application is complete so if you could please stop sending me brochures and send me a decision it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm starting to really stress and these teases definitely aren't helping.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:02 pm

For some reason I'm really into UNC this week. It was almost like a revelation yesterday, when I realized that I think UNC is highly underrated. I feel like their job prospects are much better than their ranking shows. Also I found that they are tied for #36 with Wake Forest. Which definitely surprises me, because I would think that UNC would be much higher. Then I think about the job prospects of each school. I've talked with a lot of the Wake Forest staff, and I must say that they are possibly the friendliest people I've talked to from a law school. You can tell they genuinely love the school, which is very motivating. But then I think as far as jobs, UNC would be much because of the strong alumni connection there. I applied to both so hopefully I get to decide between the two.

I applied to three more schools yesterday, for a total of 20 schools. But I'm still not complete at a lot of places, so that makes me nervous. But then again this whole process makes me nervous.

I'm still waiting for my Santa Clara decision. I'm just hoping and praying that they mail them out next week instead of starting to mail them out the week of the 17th. I know I'll be away when the letter come, so now I have to decided if I want to wait till I come back (the 30th) or have my boyfriend open it for me. I think I want to wait and open my first letter up myself. Because if it's an acceptance then I want to be able to scream in joy that I am wanted from somewhere. But if it's a rejection, I think I'll be really depressed, and I don't know if I want to open that. Also imagine the things that will be going through my mind, when my boyfriend calls me and tells me that my letter has come, but I won't be able to find out for another two weeks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:45 pm

So I absolutely LOVE my mom!!!

Last night I was talking to my mom on the phone, and I think she is more nervous than I am. She keeps asking me questions about if I'm complete yet, she looks up new schools everyday for me to apply to, and she tries to let me know about all the hip new websites.

Like last night she tells me about this new website that she found called Law School Numbers. She thinks it is so amazing, and she was telling me about all these school profiles that she was looking at. She also wanted to register, but thought it wouldn't be fair lol.

Then she says, "'I think UCLA should accept you. If I was UCLA I would accept you." Hahaha thanks mom I would accept me too. She is so positive all the time it's almost sickening. She guilt tripped me into applying to Harvard (even though I know that I have NO chance), and she always brings Harvard up. I tell her not to get her hopes up, because I won't get in, and she says well there have been people to get in with your numbers at one time in history. That could be you now. Then I tell her that maybe that would be true if I helped cure sick kids in Africa, but other than that I doubt it.

She has this idea in her head that I am going to be the next Elle Woods. When I was taking the LSATs, and I would get discouraged, she would remind me that Elle got a 149 on her first LSAT and then scored a 175 on the real thing so I can do it too. lol

I LOVE my mom!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:54 pm

... (deleted)
Last edited by lishi on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:45 pm

I've received my first decision and it's an

ACCEPTANCE!!!!

I feel so great about starting the cycle off with an acceptance. It is such a relief that to know that no matter what happens anywhere else I am going to law school.[/i]

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:20 pm

Today has been a great acceptance day!!

I got into William & Mary, Temple (with basically a full scholarship), and Howard.

I'm going to visit Mcgeorge on Thursday so I'll let everyone know how it goes there.

So happy!!! :D :D :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:25 pm

So I don't think I was actually accepted to Howard. The email was very vague, but it sounded like an acceptance one but now I'm unsure.
Dear Social Engineer,

Welcome…

Congratulations on taking the first step on what we hope will become one of the most rewarding experiences of your life, matriculation at Howard University School of Law.

I think the word matriculation confused my mom and I. Matriculation usually means to be enrolled, but we looked it up in a dictionary and it can also mean to be admitted. So I don't really know what's going on, but I still got two great acceptances from two great schools!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Just got back home today to find a letter from Howard accepting me. The letter was dated the 18th, so basically when I called the women to ask if the email they sent was an acceptance, she was just looking at my file and laughing because she knew I had gotten in. They gave me $25,000 a year as long as I maintain a 2.5 GPA. Very tempting scholarship offer especially since tuition is only $20,000 a year.

I also got the scholarhsip offer from McGeorge and they are offering me $20,000 a year, will pay for alll of my first year books, and have given me first pick at the apartments.

Great day!!!! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! HERE'S TO MORE ACCEPTANCES!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:01 pm

So I was thinking today and I realized...

That I should edit my comment about the mailman, because it wasn't nice or appropriate. That and who knows if he checks law school boards, figures out who I am, and stops dellivering my mail altogether lol :D

lishi

Silver

Re: It's DECISION SEASON!!!!!!!

Post by lishi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:41 pm

In at Fordham a couple of days ago. I'm very excited and shocked!!

I'm definitely nervous about all the rejections that people have been getting lately. I'm afraid that my first rejection will ruin my vibe that I'm having. I've been on an acceptance streak and I never want it to end. I just keep telling myself, that everyday a rejection doesn't come is a good day.

I've gotten to the point where I will only allow myself to check status checkers once a day. I'm only allowed to look after 5:30pm, so then all the schools will have them updated and i don't have to wonder if it's going to change later that night. So far this is going ok, except for some reason I believe checking multiple times on weekends is acceptable. I'm still working out all the kinks in my system.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. Forget those schools that rejected you, because they don't even know what they are missing. And if you just got waitlisted at your dream, just remember someone has to get off the waitlist, it could be you!!!

Good Luck!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:54 pm

So yesterday I posted this in the Georgetown ASD thread:
So I've been secretly hoping the Georgetown would take me in on a whim, and I would be able to go to the ASD with all of you. But seeing as I still haven't gone to decision I'm thinking I have to give up my little dream. :'(

Today I went to decision. Coincidence??? I don't know. I feel like maybe they are watching me. Which is flattering and creepy all at the same time. But hey I like creepy :)

Completely a nervous wreck. I was already trying to stalk my mailman today, so it's only going to get worse.

Oh also I broke my rule of not checking status checkers till 5:30pm. I'm weak.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Today's post is black, because it's about my first rejection :shock: :shock: :shock: I know I'm shocked too. Shouldn't all the schools have loved me?? lol I'm just joking. It wasn't a shock to me at all. My numbers are low, and I've been blessed with many great acceptances so far, and hopefully more to come.

It did ruin my vibe a little. I think I was getting a little cocky with myself, but now I feel grounded again, so I should be thanking the school.

Anyways I'm off to Atlantic City this weekend to enjoy my bestest's birthday!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:06 am

So I'm still waiting on 17 schools (yes, I applied to a lot of schools). But I figure that each school will at least let me know accept/hold/waitlist/reject by April 1, especially since I applied in early November. That would mean that, not counting the next two days of this week, I should be receiving around 2 decisions every week and sometimes more than 2. I know this is horrible logic, and I don't ever recommend logic like this to be used on the LSAT, but it makes me feel a little better inside.

I'm getting nervous, and I need to know what schools I will be visiting for Spring Break. And then once I'm done with Spring Break, I have to make a decision, because then seat deposits are due. Oh my I just need to hear something, but I have so many schools to wait for that I feel like it will never end. :|

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:01 am

Since my last post I got into Wake Forest and then yesterday got a full scholarship with the opportunity to receive the Fletcher Scholarship as well. This is incredibly exciting. When I first sent in my apps I was afraid I would struggle to get into a T1 school, and now I have a full scholarship to one. I feel so blessed and lucky. I sometimes doubt what these adcomms are seeing in my file. My GPA and LSAt aren't that great, at least this is what I think from being on TLS for over a year :wink: , so is it my PS, is it the fact that I've worked full time and sometimes more throughout school. I don't know, but everyday I feel luckier and luckier.

Although I've had some great days recently, today is a bad day. I woke up feeling like crap. Extremely tired, unable to get out of bed, and even now after being awake for three hours, I still feel as if I just woke up. My first class is an Ethics class. We've been reading a lot of books on Plato and Aristotle, and me being a nerd do all the readings the night they are assigned. The reading that was due today I didn't do. Instead I took the weekend to write all the papers I had do, and planned on finishing up the reading tomorrow, because we never talk about the readings in class. I thought I was managing my work well. But as soon as class starts, my teacher asks us to write what the Doctrine of Means is in our own words. It's not worth a a grade and it won't hurt us, but he wants to know who has been reading. Of course I have no idea what it means. I always read, but now he thinks I'm a slacker.

Last time I had a bad day I was rejected from Georgetown. So I feel like that means that today will be bringing a rejection. But I'm ready. I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Also my boyfriend is taking me some place fancy like Red Lobster tonight!!!! :D (if you know what that is from then you are cool)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 pm

I finished my FAFSA and Need Access forms!!!!!!!! It feels very nice to finish all that. And I'm getting a good amount of money back on my taxes!!!! I love doing taxes!!!

On other news I was rejected from Northwestern this week. I'm disappointed, but I know they really favor work experience so I wasn't surprised.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:55 pm

So I've been complete for over two months at:

UNC
USC
USF
USD
Hastings
W&L
UCLA
UVA

and in a week I'll be complete for two months at:

Vanderbilt
Loyola
Harvard (have yet to reject me in these two months!!!!)

Aren't schools supposed to make a decision in two months??? I'm dying here. Let me know something!!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 pm

I got into U San Diego last week!!! Very exciting since that is where all of my highschool friends live now.

Rejected @ Hastings. Dissapointed because it's in SF, but not surprised because they seem to be rejecting everyone.

Right now, I'm still waiting on a lot of schools.

I've been complete for two months at:

Harvard, UNC, W&L, UCLA, Vanderbilt, & Loyola

and complete for three months at:

UVA, USF, & USC

I feel like three months is a really long time. But I guess I should be happy because "as long as I have yet to go to decision they are still actively considering me for admission blah blah blah". This is somewhat comforting, but not really. I just want my decisions. :(

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Today has been a rough day for me.

I've been on TLS for over a year now, and I've had my ups and downs with it. I was addicted and an avid poster in the Lounge. Then after the June LSAT I was really depressed about my score and I quit for two months to prepare for the Sept LSAT. I came back still disappointed with my LSAT score, and now no one in the Lounge even knows who I am. I've had great happy moments on TLS, and some pretty depressing ones. Today is a depressing one.

I feel like every thread is talking about job prospects, debt, and ranked schools. I've been blessed with acceptances to schools that I never thought I'd get into. When I first came to TLS all I wanted was to get into a top 100 school, even when applying this Sept that's all I wanted. But listening and seeing everyone else cycle's make me sad. I feel like everyone here is always better than me. Better LSAT. Better GPA. Better soft factors. Better hair.

So now I've been accepted to schools that some would be dying to get into, and all I can think about is will i ever find a job at these schools?? I'm so worried I'm going to end up doing temp work making less than $50,000 and not being able to support myself. And I know everyone says work hard, kick ass, spend every second studying, but what if that still isn't good enough. What if once again everyone is better than me, gets better jobs than me, better grades than me, and still has better hair then me.

Everyone here is going to all these amazing schools and are so confident in themselves and what they will accomplish, and I'm just not that sure. I know I want to be a lawyer. I know it's something I'm passionate about. But what if that isn't good enough. What if I'm just not good enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:53 am

So recently I was accepted into USF with a $25,000 scholarship. Everyone has been telling me to go there, that with networking it will be better than Fordham and Wake Forest. I attended the luncheon yesterday, had a great time and actually started to believe what everyone had been telling me about networking. A couple hours later the rankings leaked, USF is no longer a top 100 school. It's in the Tier 3!!

Now I know everyone thinks it's silly to live by the rankings, but I just can't see how I can pick USF now. I know the alumni is still there, and employers may not care if you just dropped one point, but I really don't think I can do it. Honestly I think I'm too much of a snob. I applied to a Tier 3 originally and was happy to get in, but I didn't apply to USF thinking they would drop. I mean they have a high enough GPA, LSAT, bar passage rate, and a new library all which should be keeping them in the Top 100. So I'm thinking what are they doing wrong to make them drop when they were supposed to jump 20 points with this new ranking.

I'm just disappointed in USF now, and I know my family was really excited about me coming back home, but I can't do it. I can't choose a T3 over those schools not knowing how much lower they are going to drop over the next three years.

So now I'm just upset in general, I don't feel like going to any law school (because all the law schools I'm considering dropped), I have no idea what to choose, where to go, how to figure it out, where to live, what schools I'm still waiting. Basically I know nothing.

:(

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:15 am

So my last two posts have been very Debbie Downer. And i don't like that, because really I'm a Positive Polly.

What's new with my cycle is that I've been waitlisted at Loyola (withdrew) and priority waitlisted at UVA and Vandy!!!!

So I'm very excited. I'm no longer really down about the whole "everyone on TLS is better than me" situation, instead I just keep thinking to myself how lucky I really am. I know I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again because this is my blog.

I've gotten into so many great schools, that I never thought I would get into. I've gotten into schools that people would die to get into. Me complaining about that just makes me seem selfish and rude. But I'm not (at least I hope not). I'm very thankful to all the schools that have accepted me. I was genuinely happy about every single acceptance, even ones I expected. I feel I've been really blessed this cycle, and I just wanted to share that with everyone.

Also I'm sending out positive vibes to everyone and wishing them luck on their remaining schools and waitlists. ::POSITIVE VIBES::

P.S. I met MiniMao yesterday, and she is soooo cute. :D

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:18 am

Ok so I ordered Getting to Maybe on Amazon. Since I can track my packages it says that it arrived at my post office on April 14th, but it still hasn't been delivered to me. So I call the post office:

Lishi: I was just calling because I'm tracking a package that was said to be at the post office on April 14th, but I have yet to receive it. Are there any problems.

Post Woman: It can take up to five days for a package to be delivered.

Lishi: Five days to get from the post office to my house???
Post Woman: Yes.

::Silence::

Lishi: Umm, ok thank you.

Am I the only one who finds this to be an excessively long time to deliver a package. I feel like the post office has developed enough that they should be able to get packages to people in less than five days, especially if you live in the SAME city!!! Sometimes I just don't know.

Other news is that I was accepted to UNC with a scholarship, and waitlisted at W&L. I don't plan on pursuing my W&L waitlist tho. I just don't see myself there and there is no use possibly wasting a spot.

Also Duke has finally made a decision on me, so I should know in a few days. That will leave me with only two schools to wait on: UCLA and USC. Normally I would be worried, but they seem to be taking their time like us Cali people like to do. Can't blame them, I'm sue it's gorgeous out there!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:22 am

You know what I really really freaking hate!!!

When you are one of the few people in a class that does the reading on a daily basis. Then there is a pop quiz. You are one of the two people in a class of 35 that get the answer correct. In the next class your teacher tells you that he is not going to count that quiz (and uses a dog analagy to explain why). Then gives you a quiz on the next chapter and you miss the question, because it's the one thing you didn't understand in the chapter.

Isn't that just great!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”