2L Year They Work You To Death =( Forum

lishi

Silver

Re: ......and second semester begins

Post by lishi » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 am

One more week and then spring break!!!! Oh how nice it shall be to sleep and not think. I love not thinking!!

Our final briefs are due next Friday. The only thing that stressed me out about my brief was the fact that our teacher has never showed us how to use the Bluebook, and I found yesterday, didn't ever really teach us to cite properly. Other than that I haven't been that stressed about our brief. I'm actually rarely stressed about the writing assignments but I find that a lot of people are, and I don't think I really understand why.

I know you're probably thinking "Well Lishi since you sucked butt on your last brief, maybe you not being stressed means your not doing it right." And I would probably agree, but last semester I didn't stress about it and did above average on my memos (which was perfectly ok with me), this term I didn't stress about my last brief, but I definitely did below average (which was not ok with me). So I really don't know of any method to this madness. I think I understand this brief better than my last one, so that has to be somewhat of a good sign. I've relied more heavily on my TA for this brief, instead of hoping for help from my teacher like I did last time, so hopefully that's another good sign.

And I'm not that upset with my teacher anymore. I think I was more disappointed in myself, and I just really wanted help. I really wanted to understand what he was asking from us, and I just didn't. I'm still upset to a point, but I'm moving on. Although now I'm severely concerned because I realized that my section has no bluebooking skills, which is guaranteed to put us at a disadvantage in terms of writing competition. And seeing as I'm not top 10%, who automatically get a spot, I need all the advantages I can get!

As far as classes, I like property, except future estates. Which is basically 75% of what we have learned so far. But if you were to cut that part out, I like everything else we've learned lol. ConLaw I started off hating, but I'm starting to enjoy it more and understand what is going on. I put a lot of work into these two classes, which I'm afraid will hurt me in the end, because I'm not focusing as much on Contracts and Civ Pro. Those are the two classes I did best in last term, so I think I push them aside thinking I can always catch up later. Which probably isn't that great of an idea. So I'm really going to try to focus on those during Spring Break. I guess that means I have to think a little during that week, but I'll make sure not to exert myself.

Ok I'm off to do ConLaw (see I'm always doing ConLaw or Property, tsk tsk).

Happy Birthday to my friend today!!! If WPF sees this she has to show our friend and let her know I gave a worldwide (there are people in different countries that post here) shoutout!!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Brief is done and turned in. Spring Break has come and gone too quickly. And now is the count down to finals....

Finals are in 8 weeks, and I don't feel at all where I need to be. I feel like I've been understanding what has been going on in my classes, but I need to step up my game and really start reading my supplements and finishing up outlines.

Oral arguments are next week. I'm not that nervous, but I then again I have no idea what I'm doing so maybe that makes it easier to not be nervous. I just hope I do ok. After oral arguments we start preparing for moot court competition. I feel like everyone is going out for moot court, which makes me very doubtful about my chances of actually making it. But I see that there is a fall competition to get on then as well so I may try to do that. I really want something good on my resume, and I have a bad feeling that law review is not in my future. As much as I would LOVE to be on law review, I'd be somewhat ok if I didn't make it because I think I'm basically guaranteed to get on the family and gender law journal. It's just starting up next year, and I've been helping with research and collecting data. Since there weren't that many other people that helped, I'm hoping that it gives me a little boost into the journal. Also it would be great to put that I helped with creating it on my resume. But then again nothing is certain so I probably shouldn't assume that.

Isn't it sad. My whole life from now on is what is good for my resume. It's actually sad, that I decide what I want to do based on what I think other people will like, instead of what I will like. My summer plans have been finalized. I'll be doing my first six weeks as a judge intern, and the last six weeks studying abroad in Venice. I'm so excited because I've never been to Europe before so this will be a whole new experience for me.

Whoops current events discussion in contracts is over...guess it's time to start focusing!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:15 am

So right now I have a free hour before my class starts, and I know I should be reading my property supplement. I'm staring at it right now, knowing that what I should be doing is reading. But am I doing it? Absolutely not. I'm on TLS telling Pyke to get a cat (and post pictures!!)

Second semester all of your motivation just flys out the window. I'm sure I've said that like ten times in my blog, but it still baffles me. I have no motivation to be doing property. I feel like a waste!

Finals start in a few weeks, so it's getting a bit nerve racking. My day tomorrow will be spent in the library reading Cherminsky and the property supplement I should be reading as I type this. This term our finals span 3 weeks. Some people think this is great, more time to study. I think it just means more time to stress and freak out about how I don't know anything about anything.

Still hoping to win the lottery and retire at the ripe age of 22 in Fiji.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat May 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Ughhh my brain is fried. We're coming up on our third week of finals and I can no longer think or keep my eyes open. I'm shocked that I can even write in this blog. :(

lishi

Silver

Re: 2L Year They Work You To Death =(

Post by lishi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:02 am

It's been such a long time since I've blogged. This summer was pretty hectic so I've been a bit MIA from TLS. But I'M BACK!!!

This summer I worked the first six weeks for a judge, and the second six weeks I studied abroad with my lovely whenpigsfly. Both were an incredible experience. I've never been to Europe so it was a lot of fun! Our program was located in Venice, but we traveled to Cinque Terre, Rome, Paris, Geneva, and Stockholm! It was an opportunity that I would recommend for all 1Ls. All the interviews I've had have mentioned it and have said how great of an experience it seems. Whether that translates into actual job offers, I will let you know. :D

School started on Monday :cry: It's only been a week and I'm absolutely exhausted. One week in and I already understand the famous phrase of working 2Ls to death. I can't wait till they start boring me. I never understood how it could be that much. The same amount of classes and some interviews. Sounds easy right?? WRONG!! Just the time spent thinking about jobs adds stress to your life, then you have to wait for callbacks, wait to see if the place you really love and sent your resume and cover letter to will even interview you, and then just wondering where to work (if you have options), or if you'll even find a job. Just plain stressful. I'm leaving school for a week to go to California and interview with some more firms. Everybody wish me luck!!!!

I promise to write more (even though I doubt anyone actually reads my blog anymore), just because it's a nice break from the madness of 2L year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”