Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire Forum

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Here I am on a Friday afternoon bored out of my mind, in a small office of a software company where all I hear is tapping of the keyboard and clicking of the mouse. Even though I achieved a lot professionally, (especially considering I attended a no name city university) it’s endless days like these that finally pushed me over the edge to start the law school application process.

This decision was a few years in the making and I give the most credit to my mentor. He was my professor for a handful of my advanced Computer Science courses during undergrad. He first encouraged me to take his Computer Law seminar which I found fascinating and at which I excelled. He told me I should go to law school.

I resisted for a few reasons. My personal life did not allow me to make such commitments and my family relied on my financial assistance. Immediately upon graduation, despite his encouragement to go straight into graduate programs, I had to go to work full time. I got a wonderful job which involves software design and project management, entails travel, a great salary and most importantly appreciation for my intellectual skills… but it’s just not stimulating enough.

Almost three years later, after a huge change in my personal life I came back to him for advice as to how to begin. He is very knowledgeable in the process amongst other things. He graduated from a top 5 law school, in addition to graduating a top med school and having various other PhD degrees. His guidance and advice put many of our (no name, city college) misguided and disenchanted students to top law schools in the past ten years.

I never believed in myself or my abilities as strongly as I do since his mentoring. He helped me study for the LSAT and develop my personal statement and talk about all the hardships I overcame in my life. I wasn’t comfortable mentioning my near death experiences and my family’s socioeconomic status since we moved to America as political refugees but he made me see that I can be proud of overcoming these things and succeeding in life despite all the odds. I didn’t let many people read my personal statement, because it is very very personal.

I’m afraid I disappointed him with my LSAT score of 160 (even though he denies any such disappointment), as well as myself, so now my chances are lower than we had originally planned. I’ve applied to most top 25 schools at the beginning of January and now I’m patiently waiting. It’s getting harder to stay patient, but I am keeping faith.

I know this is what I want to do with my life. It’s what I have to do. If I don’t do well this cycle, I will retake the LSAT and try again. I am positive I can do better the second time and I am confident I will make a great attorney one day. I can’t wait!!!

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:00 pm

2/17 ok so I finally heard something and let me tell you, "no news is good news"

rejected at NYU

waitlisted at Boston College

no surprise with NYU, I was only hoping they'd make a mistake and admit me

not sure what to think of the waitlist at BC... I don't feel like it's a good forecast to this cycle but I will keep the faith :)

2/24 rejected from George Washington. They don't know what they're missing!

2/28 waitlisted at Temple. Applied on fee waiver but WTH? I think I'll wait for a couple of more rejections and I'm going to start studying for the LSAT again.
Last edited by EyeOfTheTiger on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:37 am

I feel like I have such an exciting blog title and no action on this end to back it up with...
"There art two cardinal sins from which all others spring: Impatience and Laziness."

--Franz Kafka

Dearest law schools, please pay me some attention and give me some love!

"Anything that has real and lasting value is always a gift from within."

--Franz Kafka

Or I will just keep reading Kafka and trying to stay sane which is not easy simultaneously...

When I applied (early January) I told myself not to get worried until the end of April and yet I find myself at the end of February mildly freaking out. How do I take a break from this waiting?

You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.

--Franz Kafka
...sigh

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:44 pm

I finally get my very first acceptance into St. John's University Law School and they even threw in a tiny bit of scholarship money. I am happy about it but they want a seat deposit by April 1st! I'm currently on two waitlists and have yet to hear back from more than half the schools. St. John's is the ONLY safety school I applied to. I guess I have some thinking to do in the following two weeks.

Last night I went out and got crazy with Brittlynn and her sweet adorable roomie. I really have no idea how many shots we had, but I know I probably had more because I started earlier. Too bad we had a frikkin blizzard last night in NYC but we didn't let it stop us from having fun!!!!!!!! Good times good times. Gotta love girls nights out!

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:55 pm

I'm snowed in with rejections, but it was all expected.

I have acceptances at St. Johns (with 10k annual) and University of Florida.

I am on waitlists at:

Cardozo
Boston College
Temple

I have yet to hear from:

university of pennsylvania law school
UNIV OF SOUTHERN CALIF LAW SCHOOL
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT LOS ANGELES
BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW
BROOKLYN LAW SCHOOL
DUKE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW

I'm really surprised some of these schools are taking so long to reject me. I mean come on, it's not brain surgery!

I called them yesterday to check, and the best response I got was

"You should be hearing soon. Hopefully sooner than later..."

thanks douche bag.

At least Duke said something like

"We have 30% more applications this year, so it's taking longer"

Anyway, Cardozo asked me to apply to their part time day program which is basically 3 semesters instead of 2 during 1L only. It goes to full time for 2L and 3L It starts May 14th and they may not let me know until the first day of classes. Isn't it nice of them?

I told my boss that I may have to leave that early and she said "You can't do this to us! Where's your judiao christian guilt!?"

She knows very well I have none. Why else am I going into this field?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:10 pm

since everyone is posting cutesy pictures, I'd like to post some too. I like kittens and hamsters and some such but honestly I think baby pictures take the cake.

as in... my own baby pictures

--ImageRemoved--

I know you just want to pinch those cheeks!

in other news:

I'm totally obsessed with the old south asian man handing out the free news papers in the morning. He's so adorable! He makes my morning when he yells "PREEEE PREEEE PREEEEE PEPPER PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PREEEEEEEEEEEEEE." He does it with such urgency that you almost automatically take the free paper without even realizing it. One day I will hug him in the midst of it.

Oh and my love life is going just peachy. I can't believe I found someone who is just like me and with sick zoolander skills. This is a first for me. I'm usually with guys that are like the opposite of me. I have to say, being with your twin is kinda nice. No mystery or frustration! Just good times!

oh and about this application cycle... I think it's exciting. I think it's different. I think adcoms should spend less time reading the forum and more time reveling in how awesome the are!!!!!!!! You go you, you're the man/woman! I heart you and your school! Just take me already and let me show you the ways :wink:

And to my top choice school, you know who you are: I will do so well, I will network so much, I will donate so often when I'm out there in the real world! I swear! I will donate! I heart you. You had me at "your application is complete."

oh and last but not least

WTF is up with this weather in NYC?! What have we done to deserve this??? When are we going to see some sun? I mean I like being pale and sickly looking and all, but enough is enough!

ok the pizza's here gotta go! ttyl. smooches!

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:13 pm

The Nor'easter "did me in good" a couple of weekends ago. My basement apartment got flooded and I spent all of Sunday and half of Monday, de-flooding. Luckily all of my furniture is elevated off the floor so there was no damage there, but my storage closet got flooded and all of my winter and summer clothing got ruined. I spent the rest of the week doing laundry and my place still looks like my closet exploded.

Last night it started raining hard again. At 4 am I wake up in cold sweat. I had to check if it started flooding again. It always starts in the living area because apparently two of the walls aren't sufficiently sealed. The floors were dry. I spent some time making sure everything was off the floor in case it happened again and went back to bed.

As I crawl back in carefully, in the dark, I notice that my covers are all messed up. In the process of looking for the flat sheet I wake up my boyfriend.

"I can't find the flat sheet!" I whine.

"Where is it?" he says in his sleep.

"Oh, it's at our feet."

"Like the rest of the world." he replies.

And he's right.

While I haven't made any final decisions about what law school I will be attending in the Fall if any, I am confident that whatever I do end up doing will be great.

I may decide on a school, or I may retake the LSAT and apply again next cycle. I'll decide by May 14th. I wrote my letter of continued interest and all I can do is wait patiently yet again. The world is mine!

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:43 am

It's my 1500'th post! wooh hooo! It's too bad I have nothing positive to write about.

This weekend was depressing. I just found out that my parents house needs 20k+ repairs, which are absolutely necessary and which they can't afford. I'm the only one they can count on to fund these repairs. I don't have that much saved up; I've been helping them with their mortgage and paying back my debts. I feel horrible that I am going to possibly start school and have no income whatsoever. I don't know what to do.

On top of that, something else happened this Saturday that really put a strain on my new relationship. It's very upsetting and I really really really hope that I'm just overreacting, but my boyfriend acted in a hurtful way in front of me. He didn't realize it and he apologized, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I guess I need to vent about it, but I'm not going to do it in the blog.

I'm not going to say it can't get any worse, because it always can. Tomorrow is my best friends birthday. I'm going out to dinner with her and her family, that should be fun. Let's hope that this coming week is better. May the best of our past, be the worst of our future!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”