Insert Clever Title Here... Forum

holla2007

New

Insert Clever Title Here...

Post by holla2007 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:22 pm

So, now that the initial stages of my cycle are finally done I thought I would start a blog to detail the process. Hopefully I will maintain it throughout law school, but don't count on that one.

My biggest complaints are that sometimes these blogs are a little too general, so I will try to be as specific as possible. If adcomms are reading, I think that's fine as I have never said, nor never will say anything that, imo, will hurt my prospects.

About me...I am a 21 year old graduate of a large (technically mid-size) state University that has a horrible football team and just fired its most legendary football coach (that will be my only generality, but I left it open to see if anyone can figure it out...if you can PM me and we'll have a laugh). I am married and have been for about a year and a half. Graduated college in 3 years, with a degree in Economics and Women's Studies. Lots of EC's...Student Government, a variety of things with Women's Studies, Honors stuff, Marching Band, Mascoting, Etc...

I wrote a fantastic PS (and will post at a later time) and have LOR's from a Political Science professor and the Director of Women's Studies. Took the LSAT twice (155/162) and have a 3.54 GPA (3.53 degree).

I have applications in at the following:

Super Reaches:

Harvard
NYU
Columbia

Reaches:

BC
BU
Fordham

Targets/Safeties?:

New England
New York
Brooklyn
Northeastern
Suffolk
CUNY

I would love going to any of the schools, and wouldn't have applied if I wasn't attracted to something at each school. I don't plan on practicing in the Northeast (plan to come back to the Rocky's--theres another hint about my school), but am going into Public Interest so I am more worried with getting a well rounded and experiential education than regional placement and rankings and such.

Yeah...that's about it for now. I'll check back in later.

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Completely unrealistic to hope to hear from anyone as I applied just before Christmas, but the wait is painful. I wish it was just automatic. You have to wait for everything with law school. It should be like the GRE, for example. You get your score write there. You should get your LSAT score right there. darn...

holla2007

New

Re: Insert Clever Title Here...

Post by holla2007 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:28 pm

I have been gone for awhile. Still reading, but haven't posted.

As I mentioned, quite awkwardly in fact, in another thread, I am currently going through a divorce. As such, I decided to apply to University of Denver and University of Colorado. Wasn't originally gonna apply there because my wife wanted to get out of Colorado, but I'm a free man.

I've heard back from four schools so far. New York Law School (30K p/year), New England School of Law (25K p/year), Suffolk University and Northeastern University. All Acceptances...feels good, but hoping for better things.

I'm at the toughest point in the cycle, imo. Im thinking that cost/benefit wise, University of Colorado will be the best choice I get into. My numbers are marginal there, but I recieved a highly prestigious undergraduate award for Colorado residents that they really like at Boulder, so I'm sure I'll get in. On top of that, this award will pay for my first year of law school (as I only used 3 out of the 4 years of it in undergrad). Because of this and in-state tuition, going to Boulder, which is a great law school, will probably only set me back about 50K, which is not too bad at all. Plus I really like Boulder.

However, I've lived in Colorado all my life and want to get the hell out of town, so the prospect of moving to Boston or New York is very appealing. On the ridiculous off chance that I get into Harvard, Columbia or NYU, I will of course go there, but the tough decision lies in whether to go to BC or BU if admitted and pay the extra price.

As such, I'm ready and excited to get my cycle complete. I will keep you all posted.

Additionally, if you all have any advice or suggestions, a PM would definitely be helpful.

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:31 pm

oh yeah, I didn't end up finishing my apps at CUNY or Brooklyn. They didn't waive my fee and I thought the chances of going were so small that it wasn't worth the money. I'm happy with that decision. Also, Fordham is essentially off my radar now as it just doesn't feel appealing any longer.

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm in this annoying lull right now. With the move from the separation, my mail is running way behind, by like 7 days by my estimation. I know I got into NYLS not because I have recieved the package yet, but because I got a "congratulations on your admittance" email. I actually felt like a douche emailing back and saying "I didn't get my package, did I get a scholarship?". Whatever.

Anyway, the real issue is that it looks like NYU and Columbia have sent out a handful of rejections to people with similar stats as mine, and I could/should have one. While maintaining a sense of realism, I am still hoping one of the big three (as I like to call H, NYU, C) will bite based on my soft factors. At least I know I haven't gotten rejected from Harvard yet, as I haven't gotten an email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:02 pm

I got a small letter from Northeastern this weekend (was mailed on the 11th and because mail back up didn't get it til the 15th--which isn't bad) saying that I didn't make the cut for the PILS program (already knew that) and that I had been awarded a "social justice" scholarship. Its the typical 8500 p/year that everyone above a certain numbers thresholds gets, but it comes with a 3000 co-op stipend and the recognition of non-academic factors. Because of the criteria, it felt good to recieve it, despite its small amount (in proportion to tuition). I'll be visiting Boston in early April and am looking forward to it. I like NEU and am excited to see how it pans out.

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:41 pm

This week has brought quite the string of rejections. BC, Fordham, Columbia and NYU all within that time frame. As such, I withdrew from NYLS as New York wasn't that appealing (thus I am officially not going to New York). I am still waiting on DU, CU, Harvard and BU. Based on others I am expecting rejections at BU and Harvard, expecting to get into CU based on CO residency and very strong CO related soft factor, and am a clear admit at DU. Based on all of that, I'm visiting Suffolk, Northeastern and NESL in early April, as well as DU and CU throughout March and will decide based on those visits. CU is in the lead at this point, with Northeastern a close second.

On an unrelated note, I am taking my first post 21 trip to Vegas next weekend and am totally stoked. should be a good time.

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:27 pm

add BU to the rejections and DU to the acceptances.

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:17 pm

So, I visited University of Denver today. It's only about an hour drive from where I live, so I just played hooky from work and went down. I thought I would write down my impressions for those interested.

The facilities are fantastic. DU boasts about having the first LEED certified law building in the country, and its just a gorgeous facility. Large, three story library, great mock courtrooms, good lounge areas, and a nice little cafe all in the same building with all of the classrooms. The rec center is right across an open field and students can use it for free, which is nice. They also have a parking garage under the law building that has good parking, according to a 2L ($430 per year). Lots of lockers as well, and at only $15 per year, they are very affordable.

They have a laptop requirement and most people use PC's, but I probably saw 10+ macs. The tour guide (the same 2L) mentioned that Macs do run into some problems with exam software, just to be aware.

I sat in on a Con. Law class (1st year course of 90+) that was really interesting. It was taught by Martin Katz (got his degree at Yale). He seemed knowledgeable and did a good job of breaking down the objectives of the section (I was fortunate to be there on the first day of a unit). He used primarily lecture, and when talking over a couple cases (youngstown steel v. sawyer and US v. Nixon were the cases for the day--note: the first case isn't the exact name as I can't remember it, but you get the idea), allowed students to volunteer to answer questions. I asked a couple guys in the back if that was typical and both indicated it wasn't. they said cold calling and traditional socratic method were more typical of other courses. The also mentioned some courses (property, e.g.) let you pass. Curve is a mandatory 3.09 at DU. I don't really know what that works out to as far as number of A's, but you smarter peops can figure it out. I'm not too worried as I'll be at the top regardless =).

Overall, it seems like an alright place to be, but it is definitely not a good fit for me. First of all, they gave me all loans. Thus, it would be just as cheap to go to Northeastern (where I got a small scholarship) and experience Boston, plus they have a better public interest program. It was also far too white for me. They boast a 19% diversity statistic, and there publications make it seem more diverse, but it felt like less than 10%. I also looked at DU for undergrad and I got the same impression at the law school as I did then...the students think they are more prestigious than they really are. This amounts in a feeling of pretention that I'm not okay with. It's really nothing concrete, but just a feeling I get on campus when I'm there. Take that with a grain of salt. It also doesn't work out as its main focuses are business and environmental law, and I have no interest in either.

I also have a friend (sort of) in her first year there and I talked to her briefly after the class. She has mixed feelings about the school, mainly noting that the low bar passage rate (mid-70's if I remember correctly) worries her. She mentioned that in some of her classes she can tell why that is the case, but was unable to elaborate as she had another class to go to.

I think after the visit DU has fallen to the bottom of my list (granted it was 4 of 5 already). I just don't think its a good fit for me, and am not willing to pay the 120,000 it would cost me to go there (I'll have first year tuition paid for by an undergrad scholarship, for those of you paying attention). I will be withdrawing as soon as/if I get into CU-Boulder.

If you have any questions or want me to expand on the visit, feel free to PM me, I'm more than happy to help if I can.

Until next time...

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:21 am

So I am still waiting to hear back from Harvard and CU, which essentially means I am still waiting to hear back from CU because I'm sure I'll get rejected at Harvard at this point. Anyhow, I have my visits to Suffolk, Northeastern, and NESL planned for about two weeks away.

Have started getting back financial aid packages and it really makes it real how much law school is. Even at Suffolk, where they finally awarded me a 25K p/year Sargent Scholarship, it would cost me like 100K in loans to go there. I guess grant money in law school is non-existent?

I do have a private scholarship worth up to 20K a year that I'm hoping will come through, but the way it sounds, you can only use scholarships to pay up to tuition and fees, thus making any Boston school still highly expensive because of COL.

Because of the financial strain I see in the future, as well as a bunch of credit card/car debt I am strongly considering staying in the working world for another year or two. Im privileged to have that option, as I am still only 21 and have a good job now that allows me to travel, which is fun, despite its many down sides.

So at this point, i think I would say I have a 60% chance of delaying going to law school, 30% chance of going to CU (if accepted, cause it will be cheap for law school), 4% chance of Northeastern, 4% chance of Suffolk, and 2% chance of NESL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”