my journey through TFA application cycle.... Forum

countrymusicfan

New

my journey through TFA application cycle....

Post by countrymusicfan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:17 pm

I just completed my application for Teach For America and sent it for the Nov. 2 cycle. Although my LSAT score was 4 points better than what I was predicting, and will have some great options for some schools, I know that there is nothing in my life that I want to do more than to join TFA and teach.....

So wish me luck!! For of those that will be going through the interview process with me, feel free to contact me if you are looking to start a support group. As you all probably know, the application process is intense!!!

countrymusicfan

New

Post by countrymusicfan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:40 pm

I found out yesterday night that I made it to the next round for TFA!!! My first telephone interview is this weekend, and I am trying to do all I can to prepare. I've read/watched all the material on the website at least 20 times, and actually contacted a current core member in my area and spent the day observing his class..... lol, I think by now I know what TFA is all about. Although I know this is the perfect job for me and something I would excel at, I've been really subconscious. I made more poor decisions in my youth than you can imagine and, as a result, had several things taken away from me that many people would kill for. But, if anything, it made an entertaining/ never before heard off, is she really asking for a job, personal statement.

Also, I went back on my decision earlier and think I am going to apply to a few schools the cycle. But i've gotten fee waivers to schools that I would have never considered before, and so much positive momentum going on lately, I figured why not. I know it sounds really stupid, but I just have that inner feeling that things are going to fall in place for me. It is for WAY bigger reasons than getting to the 2nd round with TFA and 168 LSAT score.

countrymusicfan

New

Post by countrymusicfan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Had my telephone interview at the beginning of the week and I think it went really well. It was pretty funny at first b/c the lady I was talking to quickly caught onto how nervous I was, so she spent the first like 5 minutes asking silly "getting to know me" questions. BUT NOW THE WAIT CONTINUES, AHHH...

To try and take my mind off TFA, I am working on completing my applications. My goal is to have 4 ready ready to send out the Monday following Thanksgiving (at least that is what I am telling myself). I am a little nervous about it b/c I am applying relatively late, but, hopefully, it won't matter that much.
Last edited by countrymusicfan on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

countrymusicfan

New

Post by countrymusicfan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:09 pm

BO-YA bitches...... I made it to the TFA's Final Interview round

countrymusicfan

New

Post by countrymusicfan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:02 pm

Final Interview today!!! I am in between sessions, trying to ease my nerves and playing on the internet. It's been really weird. Obviously the majority of the applicants here today are from the Harvards/Princetons/Yales/UVAs etc..., but everyone has been really nice and supportive. I was expecting them to be all cocky and just look at me as some reject b/c I go to a small, private school.

I just had my personal interview, which went really well. A millions times better than my phone interview. They did, however, as some really difficult questions that I wasn't expecting at all. But I think i did fine. The girl I did my phone interview actually came in and introduced herself afterwards too, which was funny. I guess I accomplished something and got at least one person to believe in me. But I must go and get ready for the rest of the day...

CONGRATS to all those who have received their acceptances. All of you guys have done such a great job this cycle, I hope I have the opportunity to meet a few of you in law school in a few years. I am sorta nervous about only applying to five schools, especially if TFA doesn't work out. I think I may send out a couple more after I finish finals and graduate in a week !!!

MOre to come about my entire application process later. I didn't want to reveal to much about myself during the cycle for obvious reasons. But, I will be more than happy to give tips of what I did and saw others do that I thought was helpful and what was detrimental for the potential TFA applicants.......it really is a great program, with a great vision...I know the more I have learned about it, I just HAD to be part of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

countrymusicfan

New

Re: my journey through TFA application cycle....

Post by countrymusicfan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:52 pm

I was accepted to Teach For America !!!!! I will be moving to the NYC . I have never even been to NY before and I will be moving there for 2 years--I am so excited and nervous right now . CRAZYNESS !!!

countrymusicfan

New

Re: my journey through TFA application cycle....

Post by countrymusicfan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:05 pm

So, I haven't been back on here in forever and didn't realize that I had so many e-mails about my TFA experience now and during the application process. I am sorry.

I am back and more than willing to answer any questions about TFA and how it impacted my law school applications. I am completing my first year of service and planning on attending Texas afterwards. However, I have a lot of friends that have waited to apply until after their commitment in order to get the full benefits of TFA.... some have been positive, some would have probably been accepted to the same schools without TFA

Adios amigos,
Kat

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”