BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:31 pm

BU seems very much in Boston, by the MFA and a handful of other schools. BC seems out of town, but it also seems more prestigious to me. I mean, John Kerry did law school there, and BC has good football and basketball programs whereas BU is more just Hockey.

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Look man everyone is going to be biased depending on where they go but I'm not kidding you BU and BC [main campus] are DOWN THE STREET from eachother . There are 6-8 T stops on the B line between them. Most BC students live in Coolidge corner or Cleveland circle which are both even closer to BU. There are plenty of great reasons to pick either school, but BC is not in the boonies.
superflush wrote: Yes, Allston is a neighborhood of Boston.
BU is in Boston
Also just so we're clear, Allston and Brighton are BOTH neighborhoods of Boston [there are 21]. they are usually referred to as Allston/Brighton [not two separate areas]. Chestnut hill is a subcommunity within the Allston/Brighton neighborhood. Yes it is true that BU is closer to downtown Boston and the action than BC, but both schools are "in" Boston.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:38 pm

I'm sorry, but you're very wrong

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:40 pm

superflush wrote:I'm sorry, but you're very wrong
I'm sorry, purchase a map.

--ImageRemoved--

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Either way, both are accessible via the T.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:43 pm

I won't even apply to BU. I have apps out to UCLA and Tulane right now. I don't know if I will get into any given my lower GPA, but I am wondering if it would make sense to choose BC over UCLA or if BC is going to be considered #3 for Law Schools in Massachusetts in the future. I'm probably going to submit an application to BC tomorrow.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:47 pm

To clarify - my family takes the I "should go to the highest ranked school I can get into" approach, so I have 6 apps out as of right now.

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:49 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:To clarify - my family takes the I "should go to the highest ranked school I can get into" approach, so I have 6 apps out as of right now.

This is perhaps conjecture, but I would imagine that if you want to work in MA, BC would be a wiser choice than UCLA.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:57 pm

That's what I wonder - be in CA for a decade or so and bring home the 'film industry" experience once the studios in MA in development are built, or be here while everything unfolds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:That's what I wonder - be in CA for a decade or so and bring home the 'film industry" experience once the studios in MA in development are built, or be here while everything unfolds.
Can't help you there, but we're definitely attacking the same threads. On a totally unrelated note, is that Stratton, Killington or Sunday?

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Sunday River for sure. I used to compete freestyle out of there. That's a course in construction for a USSA meet two years ago on Tempest.

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Nice, dude. I used to teach at a little resort in Western PA- Seven Springs to be precise. I love the New England slopes, though, and actually had the audacity to mention that in my PS for BC. Anyway, should probably end the thread jack. Let me know when you hear back from BC.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Where on your map do you see Ches. Hill or Newton inside of Boston.
(when I get on a computer, I'll write more)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:58 pm

I will be overjoyed if I were to get into either BC or BU.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:11 pm

superflush wrote:Where on your map do you see Ches. Hill or Newton inside of Boston.
(when I get on a computer, I'll write more)
BU is closer to the center of the city, no question about it.
ccs1702 wrote:Nice, dude. I usedie to teach at the little resort in Western PA- Seven Springs to be precise. I love the New England slopes, though, and actually had the audacinty to mention that in my PS for BC. Anyway, should probably end the thread jack. Let me know when you hear back from BC.
Nice, I kept my skiing experience on the Down Low except for some results and coaching experience. Likewise, keep us posted on any BC news. I think I will submit tomorrow and hope for the best. I never skied in PA but have had some nice runs in the Mid-West, and I've skied all over.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:23 pm

As far as location, BU is definitely more in the city than BC. BC is on the outer edge of it, 15 minute T ride from BU (if I remember correctly) and I think the law campus is a bus ride away from there. However, BC has the classic college campus, with grounds and trees and nice buildings etc.

I went to BU's ASW weekend last year. Even though the tower is kinda ugly, I liked the location better than BC's.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 pm

Here is something that no one has said...

BC is less in the city than BU

And that is why I like it more.

The fact it is a little bit outside of the downtown is a positive, you are 15 mintues away from any of the benefits of the city, but you don't have to deal with all of the urban stress on a daily basis going to classes. I <3 BC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:52 pm

Cupidity wrote:Here is something that no one has said...

BC is less in the city than BU

And that is why I like it more.

The fact it is a little bit outside of the downtown is a positive, you are 15 mintues away from any of the benefits of the city, but you don't have to deal with all of the urban stress on a daily basis going to classes. I <3 BC.
Enjoy adding car payments onto your monthly budget! haha. <- BU here.

Also.... --LinkRemoved--.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:05 am

Okay, first of all, you definitely contradicted yourself.

First, you say that both BU & BC are outside of Boston:
kiwislug wrote:BU is slightly closer to Boston though both schools are West of the city
Then you say that both schools are "in" Boston:
kiwislug wrote:both schools are "in" Boston.
If you are going to be wrong, at least stick to one stance.

So let me explain it for everyone:
BU is in Boston. Their main campus where the Law School is located spans through Allston & Fenway-Kenmore, which are both neighborhoods inside of Boston
BC Law is in Newton. Newton is in Middlesex County (Not even the same county as Boston).
BC's main campus is in Chestnut Hill, which is not a municipality (just a village & Zip Code). The part of which that holds BC's campus (which was added to NRHP) seems to actually also be in Newton.

kiwislug wrote: I'm sorry, purchase a map.
I don't need to. Is your map supposed to prove me wrong or something, because I don't see anything in there to do so.

academiccricket

New

Post by academiccricket » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:20 am

I just moved away from Boston, but yes, confirming what most people say, BU is in Boston, and BC is not. The main BC campus is in Newton, which is kind of a pain commuting all the way down the Green line, but I've commuted longer distances into the city (Newton Center, Carver, Malden), and really you aren't that isolated if you make an effort. In the sake of full disclosure, the BU has stops on the Green Line too, and the Green Line sucks. Especially on Red Sox home game nights.

For what it is worth, BU undergrads are generally more obnoxious than BC students (maybe that's because BC students are more cloistered away), but BU students are generally also more attractive than BC students. Correlation? Causation? You decide.

The reputations in the area are pretty close, with BU slightly edging out BC...but I think the general consensus is "hey, at least it's not Northeastern or Suffolk." As far as OCI goes, there are some pretty dire stories on the boards that you can feel free to dig up at your leisure.

bchereicome

New

Post by bchereicome » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:23 am

kiwislug wrote:
superflush wrote:I'm sorry, but you're very wrong
I'm sorry, purchase a map.

--ImageRemoved--
It depends on what you mean by "Boston." If you ask someone who doesn't go to BC, then BC is not in Boston. If you ask someone who goes to BC, they'll say they're in Boston.

In my opinion, I love the school, but we are kind of on the outskirts. from where I live, I have to take the T, then take a shuttle to the law school.

This has nothing to do with anything, but one annoying thing I've found about BC is that it seems like everyone has complexes about the BC/BU debate. I think it's because up until the last 10 years, there wasn't really a question that BC was better than BU. But BU has kind of become more well known and I think BC students are a bit insecure about that.

In my opinion, I think BU and BC are equal. But it seems like BU students don't really care who's more prestigious because most non-law people think BU is the better school anyways. But many of the older generation think BC is better, so we kind of take take that to heart and get insecure about it. It's weird.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:42 am

By Boston, I mean the City of Boston. Boston proper.

Of course if we were talking on a wide-scale, someone from Brookline or Cambridge might say they are from Boston.
But on a local level, when you are comparing 2 schools that are rather close to each other, it makes sense to be specific.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:45 am

bchereicome wrote:In my opinion, I love the school, but we are kind of on the outskirts. from where I live, I have to take the T, then take a shuttle to the law school.
Yes, I can see how this can be annoying.
From talking to people from the Boston area, who've said flat out that they would definitely want a car at BC, whereas they definitely wouldn't at BU, I'd say that even though the schools are relatively close, there is a pretty big difference in the layout and the ease of transportation.

academiccricket

New

Post by academiccricket » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:47 am

If we're going to get technical:

Boston College Law School is located at 885 Centre Street in Newton, Massachusetts.
--LinkRemoved--

A virtual tour:
--LinkRemoved--

Newton is NOT one of the neighborhoods of Boston.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston#Neighborhoods

If you want the actual city limits, here is another map that highlights the above neighborhoods:
http://www.aaccessmaps.com/show/map/us/ ... ro_overall

Neither is Chestnut Hill, which is where the main BC Campus is located.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_H ... sachusetts

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:58 am

Yep. What I have been saying all along

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”