Do you need a car in Law School? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kn6542

Silver

Re: Do you need a car in Law School?

Post by kn6542 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:40 pm

superflush wrote: No, I said there is going to be maintenance expenses.
I'm talking to bobscamamano, dood.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:47 pm

kn6542 wrote:
Ah, okay. I was quoted last, so I just thought you were replying to me.

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:09 pm

I feel like everyone needs to drive a bucket at some point in their life. You're not quite a successful attorney...yet, so rock it with pride next year.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:11 pm

I don't think you need a car at Michigan. But I like having one and it was already paid off.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:23 pm

superflush wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Ah, okay. I was quoted last, so I just thought you were replying to me.
I'm a bit lazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

I already drive a bucket... I wanted a newer car but maybe it is best to keep it.

I just feel that if you're taking out massive loans why not add a relatively miniscule amount to the pile and have a bit of car-pride (or at least absence of shame)

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Yamaha YZF-R1 is the only credited vehicle. You can get a new one for about 10k, 40mpg, ride in carpool lanes, no worries about parking, and learn to fix it yourself.

It also does a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds and tops out at about 180 mph.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Kulax22 wrote:I'm going to waiger YES... but I wanted to check. I'm assuming just about every school lets you have a car without big parking fees, and that you will often want one to drive around town/city...

The reason I'm asking is because A) I hope to travel on the weekends when it is reasonable and B) I have a crappy car and would actually like to upgrade for ego issues before law school. I've had my car -old faithful- for years and it's much older. I think I need a "new me" "new car" type-deal going on. Law School will be a major "break" in my life path and I want a car I can feel unashamed of.

I've heard that some schools have big parking fees, especially if they are urban.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:I'm going to waiger YES... but I wanted to check. I'm assuming just about every school lets you have a car without big parking fees, and that you will often want one to drive around town/city...

The reason I'm asking is because A) I hope to travel on the weekends when it is reasonable and B) I have a crappy car and would actually like to upgrade for ego issues before law school. I've had my car -old faithful- for years and it's much older. I think I need a "new me" "new car" type-deal going on. Law School will be a major "break" in my life path and I want a car I can feel unashamed of.

I've heard that some schools have big parking fees, especially if they are urban.
A LOT of campuses have high parking fees, regardless of where they are located. Parking doesn't often keep up with campus expansion and parking is therefore tight at many schools. Why would anyone assume that "just about every school 'lets' you have a car without big parking fees"? Given my experiences with college campuses, I would assume just the opposite, without the language suggesting paternalism.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:32 pm

neskerdoo wrote:yes, you definitely need a brand new car at every law school; makes no difference where
It does actually make a difference where. If you'll be attending school in NYC you need a brand new car even more. You probably even need an Aston.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 pm

DCD wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:yes, you definitely need a brand new car at every law school; makes no difference where

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Yamaha YZF-R1 is the only credited vehicle. You can get a new one for about 10k, 40mpg, ride in carpool lanes, no worries about parking, and learn to fix it yourself.

I know some people are looking for ways to avoid paying back student loans, but death through recklessness is not ideal.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 am

vanwinkle wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:Yamaha YZF-R1 is the only credited vehicle. You can get a new one for about 10k, 40mpg, ride in carpool lanes, no worries about parking, and learn to fix it yourself.

I know some people are looking for ways to avoid paying back student loans, but death through recklessness is not ideal.
I'm not advocating irresponsibility, but Americans do need to get over their bigger=better mentality. We could stand more bicycles, mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles on major-city streets much like many european cities. A Yamaha Zuma scooter maxes out at 40 mph, gets 80+ mpg, can carry two passengers, and will solve any parking problem you want. Perfect solution for someone who wants to explore a city (with the exception of places like Berkeley, where access to SF requires a freeway-capable vehicle and you can't take the scooter on the BART).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 am

The Brainalist wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I'm not advocating irresponsibility, but Americans do need to get over their bigger=better mentality. We could stand more bicycles, mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles on major-city streets much like many european cities. A Yamaha Zuma scooter maxes out at 40 mph, gets 80+ mpg, can carry two passengers, and will solve any parking problem you want. Perfect solution for someone who wants to explore a city (with the exception of places like Berkeley, where access to SF requires a freeway-capable vehicle and you can't take the scooter on the BART).
The happy medium is pretty awesome, too. My Ninja 650 gets ~50 MPG, does the 1/4 mile in a paltry ~13 seconds, costs less than 4K used, and can be insured for literally like 15-30 bucks a month.

ITE, can you afford not to own a motorcycle? Didn't think so.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:14 am

You could get a previously-dumped Ninja 250 for 1-2k. Not fancy. Not gutsy. Not particularly masculine. Cheap insurance. Cheap gas. Cheap cost. It'll get you around town and even allow you to go freeway speeds if necessary. Ride safe.

I'm married so I have to have a car (an older model Ford sedan) and my wife needs it for work. I ride a 50cc scooter to school everyday. It does the job for surface streets.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:14 am

The Brainalist wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I agree with this, but a Zuma and a YZF-R1 are two entirely different things. It was the massive amount of power in the latter and the way that could easily kill an inexperienced rider that I was objecting to. I'd love to own a Zuma myself.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:18 am

vanwinkle wrote:

teehee.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:18 am

If you really want a scooter, you can generally pick up a previously owned Chinese scooter for as little as 400--sometimes with almost no mileage whatsoever. Somebody bought it a year ago for $1000-1500 with good intentions and now it's taking up space in the garage. It won't last as long as a good Japanese-branded scoot, but for that price for a near-new scoot, it might be worth it. I ride a few year old 50cc Yamaha, and I love it, but I've ridden a few 150cc Chinese scoots, and I'd take the power over reliability any day.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:44 am

kn6542 wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:I've heard that some schools have big parking fees, especially if they are urban.
A LOT of campuses have high parking fees, regardless of where they are located. Parking doesn't often keep up with campus expansion and parking is therefore tight at many schools. Why would anyone assume that "just about every school 'lets' you have a car without big parking fees"? Given my experiences with college campuses, I would assume just the opposite, without the language suggesting paternalism.
+1. Check Cornell's parking fees if you want to confirm that.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 am

superflush wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:I've heard that some schools have big parking fees, especially if they are urban.
+1. Check Cornell's parking fees if you want to confirm that.
Went to Cornell for UG, where my friends and I came to the realization that getting towed a half dozen times was far more economical than purchasing parking permits.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:58 am

wardboro wrote:You could get a previously-dumped Ninja 250 for 1-2k. Not fancy. Not gutsy. Not particularly masculine. Cheap insurance. Cheap gas. Cheap cost. It'll get you around town and even allow you to go freeway speeds if necessary. Ride safe.

I'm married so I have to have a car (an older model Ford sedan) and my wife needs it for work. I ride a 50cc scooter to school everyday. It does the job for surface streets.
My brothers in a rehab center for spinal cord injuries and there are an awful lot of motorcycle riders there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:09 am

wardboro wrote:If you really want a scooter, you can generally pick up a previously owned Chinese scooter for as little as 400--sometimes with almost no mileage whatsoever. Somebody bought it a year ago for $1000-1500 with good intentions and now it's taking up space in the garage. It won't last as long as a good Japanese-branded scoot, but for that price for a near-new scoot, it might be worth it. I ride a few year old 50cc Yamaha, and I love it, but I've ridden a few 150cc Chinese scoots, and I'd take the power over reliability any day.
I'd recommend a 49cc yamaha zuma or a vino or a honda metro, which you can find for 800-1500. It is worth it for reliability, IMO, and you aren't going to need to go faster than 40mph anyway. Plus resale value will more than make up the difference. The smaller ones have other legal advantages, too. In a lot of states, you don't need a special motorcycle license for 49cc scoots, although I think you do in California if you want to take it over 25mph. In a lot of cities you can lock them to bike racks. You also won't have a problem taking it up the elevator for winter storage. I had a scooter through most of undergrad, and it was pretty ideal. Also, I do think girls liked the scooter more than my sportsbike, or at least more girls are going to approach you about the scooter. It was like having a puppy dog.

Or just spend about 2.5k to buy a low-mileage vespa/piaggio. There is no reason you can't be fashionable and euro-cool and efficient as well.

I do think the motorcycle is a lot less safe just due to freeway riding. Otherwise, I was riding my bicycle in berkeley and san francisco traffic before that, so the scooter isn't really any more dangerous. Probably safer.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:14 am

lawlover829 wrote: BMW=huge waste of money unless you lease it.
Why? If you pull one of those babies fresh of the lot you get a 4 year warranty that includes basically any repair you would need.

Does a lease cover repairs? If so, it can easily be arguable it is better to lease, especially a used BMW or Benz.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:14 am

Oblomov wrote:NYU, no. Franklin Pierce, yes. It really is going to depend on the school. I'd say that its practically necessary for very few schools, nice to have for most, and not even worth it for a few.

Unless your car is a 80's Trans-Am, a Gremlin, or a new Beatle as a male driver, you have nothing to be ashamed of.
Transportation-wise, that depends on the school...in the city a car is going to be a pain in the ...
You can always bum rides out of town with friends, or take the train somewhere.

Ego-wise, everyone wants to go into LS with a fresh new persona, or at least a shine on their old one, so I understand your feelings, I do! But you don't need a car to be a star! Just go in with your comfy-mobile and upgrade when you can.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 am

summerstar wrote:
Oblomov wrote:NYU, no. Franklin Pierce, yes. It really is going to depend on the school. I'd say that its practically necessary for very few schools, nice to have for most, and not even worth it for a few.

Unless your car is a 80's Trans-Am, a Gremlin, or a new Beatle as a male driver, you have nothing to be ashamed of.
Transportation-wise, that depends on the school...in the city a car is going to be a pain in the ...
You can always bum rides out of town with friends, or take the train somewhere.

Ego-wise, everyone wants to go into LS with a fresh new persona, or at least a shine on their old one, so I understand your feelings, I do! But you don't need a car to be a star! Just go in with your comfy-mobile and upgrade when you can.
There is some ego to it. As a dude, you need to have wheels. I had no game as a bicycle rider.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”