Promotion or UT Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whydoieven

New

Promotion or UT

Post by whydoieven » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:34 pm

I've posted a few times with my trials and tribulations. I'm deposited at Texas (expected debt somewhere between 55k and 75k, who can be sure) and am working in the energy industry.

I have been offered a promotion at work (~23% pay increase, just shy of 80k/yr) with significantly more international exposure, responsibility, etc. and am now having real second thoughts about going to school. I want to get on with the next phase in my life, but I feel like I could reapply this year and maybe get some better school options, I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about falling below median as I really only see school as worth it for me if I get BL.

My stats are 3.5ish/178. I would write a new PS and other essays, and potentially get a good letter from someone I work under.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: Promotion or UT

Post by totesTheGoat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:40 pm

In your shoes, I'd work another couple years, save up enough to pay cash for law school, and go once you're able to cash flow UT.

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:48 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:In your shoes, I'd work another couple years, save up enough to pay cash for law school, and go once you're able to cash flow UT.
So, you're saying just hold off with the aim of being able to pay the non-scholarship balance in full?

I'm debt averse but not sold on staying in TX at all, FWIW. Seriously considering just ED'ing NU this cycle with the new title, better essays, etc. Eventual goal is to head to one of UT/AZ/CO where I have family, and avoiding serious debt would enable me to buy property in/take a pay cut moving to a place without a large legal market ASAP.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Why do you want to go to law school? Where do you want to practice?

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Why do you want to go to law school? Where do you want to practice?
To follow through on the only thing I ever saw myself doing when I went to college and still want to do. I want to work in biglaw preferably focusing on land use/energy/O&G, pretty much anywhere. Have extensive ties to Chicago and Houston from work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:11 pm

whydoieven wrote:
So, you're saying just hold off with the aim of being able to pay the non-scholarship balance in full?
Yup, it seems to be within reach for you, and it gives you a ton of flexibility. UT has play around the country (even if people technically consider it a regional school), especially in the o&g sector. Even if you end up going somewhere else, having a cash reserve around $50k will knock any debt amount from insane levels to manageable, even if things were to go horribly wrong and you didn't get biglaw. If you do get biglaw, then you're not stuck with a financial boat anchor around your neck.

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:20 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
whydoieven wrote:
Yup, it seems to be within reach for you, and it gives you a ton of flexibility. UT has play around the country (even if people technically consider it a regional school), especially in the o&g sector. Even if you end up going somewhere else, having a cash reserve around $50k will knock any debt amount from insane levels to manageable, even if things were to go horribly wrong and you didn't get biglaw. If you do get biglaw, then you're not stuck with a financial boat anchor around your neck.
I see. That makes a lot of sense. What do you think of the NU ED option? Not sure what the play is for splitters there but it seems like a good option especially if you're gunning for BL + debt minimization. I really didn't have much luck anywhere but UCLA and UT this cycle admission/scholarship wise, only T14 that took me was Berkeley at sticker price. I may be mistaken but I feel like NU can go farther than UT can in terms of location, although I agree the regional nature of UT's placement is overstated, I am a firm believer in self selection there.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:47 pm

whydoieven wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Why do you want to go to law school? Where do you want to practice?
To follow through on the only thing I ever saw myself doing when I went to college and still want to do. I want to work in biglaw preferably focusing on land use/energy/O&G, pretty much anywhere. Have extensive ties to Chicago and Houston from work.
Why do you want to work in biglaw? What do you currently do?

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:58 pm

dabigchina wrote:
whydoieven wrote:
Why do you want to work in biglaw? What do you currently do?
I want something that provides me with better terminal earning potential and the opportunity to work in the same space I already do, but on the aspect of the business I find most interesting. I work in business and competitive intelligence focused on the energy industry, and the part of the practice I enjoy most is the regulatory side.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hutzlaw123

New

Post by hutzlaw123 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:02 pm

I know multiple hardworking/personable people that struck out of biglaw/midlaw at UT. I think the notion that UT places everyone in Texas is overstated.

If I were you, i'd aim for MBA programs. It seems like you have good enough work experience to place somewhere well. Law school is definitely not the place if you want to work in "business".

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 am

hutzlaw123 wrote:I know multiple hardworking/personable people that struck out of biglaw/midlaw at UT. I think the notion that UT places everyone in Texas is overstated.

If I were you, i'd aim for MBA programs. It seems like you have good enough work experience to place somewhere well. Law school is definitely not the place if you want to work in "business".
I can see why you'd suggest this, and I've debated going deeper into some of the technical/data focused aspects of my work instead of pursuing law. I guess the only thing I can say is I spent a couple of summers during UG and a few months afterwards working as a legal assistant in a pretty large firm in Phoenix by way of some family connections and actually quite enjoyed the work. Not much else to say to defend my interest in law specifically.

I am definitely concerned by the relatively low BL placement compared to even some of the lower T14 schools.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:00 am

whydoieven wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
whydoieven wrote:
I see. That makes a lot of sense. What do you think of the NU ED option? Not sure what the play is for splitters there but it seems like a good option especially if you're gunning for BL + debt minimization. I really didn't have much luck anywhere but UCLA and UT this cycle admission/scholarship wise, only T14 that took me was Berkeley at sticker price. I may be mistaken but I feel like NU can go farther than UT can in terms of location, although I agree the regional nature of UT's placement is overstated, I am a firm believer in self selection there.
NU ED would be an ideal option for splitters if NU took splitters with their ED program. They're not giving that size scholarship to an applicant that only boosts one number, though. Knowing that you're a splitter actually gives me more thought to telling you to go to UT now even though I'm not sure there's a bad option here.

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:48 pm

AJordan wrote:
whydoieven wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
whydoieven wrote:

NU ED would be an ideal option for splitters if NU took splitters with their ED program. They're not giving that size scholarship to an applicant that only boosts one number, though. Knowing that you're a splitter actually gives me more thought to telling you to go to UT now even though I'm not sure there's a bad option here.
Fair enough, I get that. Do you think I'm crazy to balk at UT's placement numbers? I get that it's the best super-regional for the kind of thing I'm interested in, but I really am worried about it. I guess I have to bet on myself, and the economy not tanking, at some point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:13 pm

My advice would be to defer for a year or two and see how you like your new job responsibilities.

Unless you want to work as an attorney, there's no need for you to go to law school. Plus, if you decide you don't like big law, you might return to your old job -or a similar one- and end up missing out on three years of income.

NU will definitely give you more options than UT. I know from talking to a hiring partner at a large law firm in Houston that they really like attracting talent from the T13. However, even then, they'd still want to see a decent -or at least above median + ties- GPA. So that's something to consider because you cannot really control your performance in law school given the grading system.

If you're median or below at NU, you still would be able to get a big or mid-law job but your exit options might look different than if you were able to start at a top firm.

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:41 pm

beinghuman wrote:My advice would be to defer for a year or two and see how you like your new job responsibilities.

Unless you want to work as an attorney, there's no need for you to go to law school. Plus, if you decide you don't like big law, you might return to your old job -or a similar one- and end up missing out on three years of income.

NU will definitely give you more options than UT. I know from talking to a hiring partner at a large law firm in Houston that they really like attracting talent from the T13. However, even then, they'd still want to see a decent -or at least above median + ties- GPA. So that's something to consider because you cannot really control your performance in law school given the grading system.

If you're median or below at NU, you still would be able to get a big or mid-law job but your exit options might look different than if you were able to start at a top firm.
Appreciate the in-depth response. I may be overthinking this, but I’m so nervous.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 pm

No problem and just to tell you my personal experience, I deferred law school for 2 years and worked in my previous field before deciding that law was a better fit for me. And I am very glad I waited. It allowed to do more research, talk to more professionals, and explore other potential opportunities.
A lot of people seem to be in a hurry to start law school and I am not sure why. It is better to wait and make the right choice than jump into something and regret it later.
whydoieven wrote:
beinghuman wrote:My advice would be to defer for a year or two and see how you like your new job responsibilities.

Appreciate the in-depth response. I may be overthinking this, but I’m so nervous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”