Brooklyn vs. New York Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
will253

New

Brooklyn vs. New York Law

Post by will253 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:07 pm

I wanted to get thoughts on the choice between these two schools. Brooklyn has offered 40k while New York Law has offered 45k. Brooklyns cost of tuition per year is about 55,000 while New York is about 51,000, so difference of 11k per year overall to attend Brooklyn. Interested in real estate law and/or Biglaw.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Brooklyn vs. New York Law

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:10 am

I would strongly reconsider attending law school this year if those are your only options. Neither is a good choice for "real estate law and/or Biglaw" and, separately, both are objectively-bad financial decisions at those prices (taking into account the fact that you'll need to support yourself without an income for 3 years).

If you have a very loose definition of "real estate law", which means including starting salaries in the $40-55k area, then Brooklyn might be reasonable with a full-tuition scholarship.

NYLS, on the other hand, is a scam outfit whose graduates, statistically, are less employable than the general population.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:48 am

Yeah, if that scholarship is $40k and not $40k per year, absolutely don't go this year. And if you want a reasonable chance at biglaw, don't go to Brooklyn at all.

What's current LSAT/GPA?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 am

Neither of these schools will get you big law. The economy is somewhat better now than it was when I went to law school, but for Brooklyn to beget big law then you needed top 1-5 percent grades and personal connections. You have no idea how the economy will look in 3-years and need to accept the likelihood you are foregoing big law.

Secondly, as another poster mentioned, there is a very real chance you will be less employable coming from these schools than you are right now so these are both poor choices if your goal of going to law school is to practice law. These are not schools you should attend if you (1) 100% want to be practicing law in 3 years, and (2) want to practice a specific kind of law. You should be grateful to practice any kind of law coming from these institutions, and should not be motivated by income. If you were motivated by income, you would work harder to get an LSAT score that makes earning a six-figure salary more than 10% likely.

wonderland5608

New

Post by wonderland5608 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:23 am

I agree generally that neither school offers a good enough scholarship package to justify the expenses. That said, RE is a very local business where personal/alumni connections matter a ton. I'm working in RE at a NY big law and have the sense that both schools (Brooklyn even more) have good connections in RE field in NY firms. Neither school offers you a good enough chance of big law outside of New York but if you are solely interested in practice in NY/NJ then I think your interest in either school is warranted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”