Which school should I accept Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
blackburnianwarbler

New

Which school should I accept

Post by blackburnianwarbler » Sat May 25, 2019 1:50 pm

77 - Rutgers ($$), deposit by June 1
104 - Buffalo ($), deposit by June 1
52 - UConn - waitlisted for 3-4 more weeks
52 - Cardozo - No response (said 6-8 more weeks)
87 - New Hampshire - No response yet

I'm Canadian, but want to be living and working wherever I go to school. I want to work in small-mid sized local firms (preferably IP boutique, but this isn't pressing). Sure, landing OCIs and being top 10% of the class and getting biglaw would be cool and all, but I'm trying to be realistic lol.

2.4 GPA / 160 LSAT. Retaking is not an option because my parents are kind enough to be paying for everything, but I already took 5 years to finish my undergrad and, to them, staying back another year would mean I'm a failure and they would completely cut me off monetarily.

Thoughts?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: Which school should I accept

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sun May 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Show your parents LST and objective data stating those schools are a poor investment. If your parents earn enough money to be well enough to pay for your education, they can analyze objective statistics and make sound financial choices.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:37 pm

LSATWiz.com wrote:Show your parents LST and objective data stating those schools are a poor investment. If your parents earn enough money to be well enough to pay for your education, they can analyze objective statistics and make sound financial choices.
This.

It also sounds like you only have an undergraduate degree in an IP-related field (assuming that you did major in an IP-related field). That's not going to be sufficient to get you a job in IP, especially from one of these schools.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:02 am

You need to retake.

Show parents data and get them to help pay for lsat prep.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:06 am

To everyone saying retake, say you get a 170 or a 175, what tier school should you be aiming for with a 2.4 GPA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:18 am

MaxMcMann wrote:To everyone saying retake, say you get a 170 or a 175, what tier school should you be aiming for with a 2.4 GPA?
It's school specific. From a numbers standpoint, it doesn't really matter if you have a 2.4 or 3.4 from a T-14 perspective. Either way, you're above one median and below the other. It seems there are added obstacles to admitting the 2.4 likely because the adcom has to explain their decision, which is why admissions consultant can add add'l value for extreme splitters. I can say that we have personally had several tutors with sub-3.0's who were accepted to T-14's and better. The HYS range will be out of play for any non-URM with a sub-3.0, but literally every other school is potentially in play if you can crack a 170.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 am

MaxMcMann wrote:To everyone saying retake, say you get a 170 or a 175, what tier school should you be aiming for with a 2.4 GPA?
With a 170, they'd have about a coin flip's chance at getting into UVA and an almost assured acceptance with money to WUSTL. Strong T1s like UCI and GWU would also be in play.
Even if OP then still goes to, say, Cardozo, they could do so with money. Right now they are looking at attending a T2 at sticker.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:01 pm

With 175 all t14 is in play, except HYS. Each one is probably less than 50% but you’ll get in one, quite likely with money.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:33 pm

icansortofmath wrote:With 175 all t14 is in play, except HYS. Each one is probably less than 50% but you’ll get in one, quite likely with money.
Really? Lowest at my T14 I know was 2.8 with 176 LSAT and he got in last minute off the waitlist with zero money. I was above that range for GPA (still well below 25th) and exact median at LSAT and got in with no money last minute too.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Are you a US citizen? How much research have you done on your ability to work in the US post-graduation?

Why not attend law school in Canada?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”