UMiami, Vandy, or Texas WL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ArtieBucco

New

UMiami, Vandy, or Texas WL

Post by ArtieBucco » Sat May 18, 2019 2:36 am

Hello all,

-I am between University of Miami (full tuition- 2.5 "good standing"), Vanderbilt (27k/yr "good standing"), and am riding the waitlist for UT
-Estimated COA: UM-80k, Vandy 180k
-Financed from savings and family (no loans)
-From FL, all my family is from South FL including significant other, have a few friends in Nashville and a Vandy alumni
-Mostly leaning towards working in FL to start at least, but open to moving other places. Texas would be a state I would not mind living in, do not want to live in TN.
-Career wise: start at firm or government first to get my feet wet and eventually go solo or open a firm. Interested in Estate Planning, Probate litigation, real estate, family law.
-162/3.8, taken the LSAT 3x and studied for a year

Originally, I wanted to apply ED to UT but my Sep LSAT score wasn't competitive. I like the city of Austin the most. Miami seems to be where I would be most comfortable given my personal connections, but I also don't want to regret losing an opportunity at Vandy or possibly UT. Second Vandy deposit due 5/22 and UM 6/4. Sorry if this is half a**, it's late. Thanks!

Golradaer

New

Re: UMiami, Vandy, or Texas WL

Post by Golradaer » Sun May 19, 2019 5:24 pm

If you have any desire to go into big law, or a desire for geographic mobility, you should definitely go to Vandy. It places well throughout the South, opens up the possibility of NYC, and your strong Florida ties should give you the ability to still return to South Florida if you so choose. The major advantage is that you'll be seen as a competitive candidate for prestigious firm/government jobs even if you aren't at the very top of your class, whereas at Miami you would definitely need to be top 10%.

The career interests you list are not super-selective, so I think going to Miami could also be a fine choice, but a lot depends on the possibility that you'll change your mind over the next two years. Miami limits your options, so you better be positive that you're happy with the career options it gives you.

Texas is a hot legal market and I don't see why you would have any trouble getting a job there from Vandy if you network and aim to spend your 1L summer in Dallas/Houston/Austin. From Miami? You will likely have problems. Unlike Vandy, Miami is not stronger than the local law schools like SMU/UHouston, etc.

ArtieBucco

New

Post by ArtieBucco » Mon May 20, 2019 12:31 am

I understand the mobility and big law opportunities that Vandy opens. Is 100k worth the mobility if you are sure you want to at least start practice in FL and even put that money towards a future solo firm? Also, if I was interested in running for a circuit or county judge, wouldn't networking in FL be more advantageous?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:58 am

Golradaer wrote:If you have any desire to go into big law, or a desire for geographic mobility, you should definitely go to Vandy. It places well throughout the South, opens up the possibility of NYC, and your strong Florida ties should give you the ability to still return to South Florida if you so choose. The major advantage is that you'll be seen as a competitive candidate for prestigious firm/government jobs even if you aren't at the very top of your class, whereas at Miami you would definitely need to be top 10%.

The career interests you list are not super-selective, so I think going to Miami could also be a fine choice, but a lot depends on the possibility that you'll change your mind over the next two years. Miami limits your options, so you better be positive that you're happy with the career options it gives you.

Texas is a hot legal market and I don't see why you would have any trouble getting a job there from Vandy if you network and aim to spend your 1L summer in Dallas/Houston/Austin. From Miami? You will likely have problems. Unlike Vandy, Miami is not stronger than the local law schools like SMU/UHouston, etc.
I think landing Texas from Vandy would be tough without ties. That isn't to say it's impossible, but it's tough. Looking at OP's goals, Miami is a defensible choice. It appears he or she isn't interested in biglaw type of work. But I'd still lean towards Vandy since it's so strong throughout the entire South and OP could change his or her mind in law school. OP, will Vandy negotiate at all?

Golradaer

New

Post by Golradaer » Mon May 20, 2019 5:17 am

lavarman84 wrote: I think landing Texas from Vandy would be tough without ties. That isn't to say it's impossible, but it's tough.
Do you really think so? I'm at a T20 (not Vandy) and my impression is that the major hurdle to breaking into Texas is demonstrating that you truly want to be there. Spending 1L summer with a judge or some other sort of internship in Dallas/Houston/Austin ought to convey that.

CommonLawTort

New

Post by CommonLawTort » Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 am

ArtieBucco wrote:I understand the mobility and big law opportunities that Vandy opens. Is 100k worth the mobility if you are sure you want to at least start practice in FL and even put that money towards a future solo firm? Also, if I was interested in running for a circuit or county judge, wouldn't networking in FL be more advantageous?
Short answer is no. Collective TLS wisdom is that FL firms place little to no premium towards schools with high US News rankings. There are other threads which battle on whether Miami is the better choice than UF for beginning a career in South Florida, and I'm gonna stay out of that but I can confidently tell you Vandy won't help you much in South Florida to justify the 100k. I don't think non-HYS T14 would help much either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”