American vs. UC Hastings Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kcggn123

New

American vs. UC Hastings

Post by kcggn123 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:25 pm

I'm choosing between American vs UC Hastings, COA is about the same for both, and no particular ties to either city.

My top criteria are
1. ranking
2. post-grad job markets
3. transfer opportunities

I'm inclined to choose Hastings because it's better ranked, but I'm wondering if it would be wiser to choose American given that it's in DC and the job market is probably bigger there (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm aware that either school I choose, I would be competing with students from much better local schools (i.e. Stanford/Berkeley or GULC/GW) so I just want to see which city would give me the best employment options. I'm still not sure what I want to do after law school (private vs public interest) so I'd love to hear any feedback on job opportunities from either schools.

I KNOW you should never choose a school with the intention to transfer (and I'm not saying that I'm dead set on transferring) but I also want to consider this option, if I decide that I want to do big law since getting big law from American/Hastings is close to impossible. It seems like American students have a pretty good shot at transferring to GW/GULC, but I haven't read much about Hastings transfers. Anyone find a thread on that.

Essentially what I'm asking is..is it worth to go to American for a better transfer opportunity/DC location vs Hastings for its ranking?

Thanks in advance!

beinghuman

Re: American vs. UC Hastings

Post by beinghuman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:46 pm

Based on your post, you should not attend either.
Sit this year out, retake the LSAT, and aim for higher ranked schools.
You have no idea whether you will be able to transfer and neither of these schools will give you good career options if you are not in the top 1/3 or higher.

cavalier1138

Re: American vs. UC Hastings

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 am

Unless the COA is <$100k, neither. You want to be flexible with your degree, and you're already thinking of transferring. So don't go to schools that you don't want to graduate from.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”