UVA $ with a 179 or hope for a friendlier cycle? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gotthesplits

New

UVA $ with a 179 or hope for a friendlier cycle?

Post by Gotthesplits » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm

So, I'm nearing the end of my cycle and looking for some advice on whether I should cut and run or hope for a more splitter-friendly cycle/apply earlier next cycle. I have a 179 LSAT and <3.15 GPA and applied late Dec./early Jan. I've only taken the lsat once since this board asks I provide that info. 2 years post UG work experience as a paralegal. And I want to do NY big law coming from the South-east. My cycle has ended up with only one admit from a T14 which was UVA with a little less than $ at 18k per year. Sitting on a WL for Chicago, Michigan, Northwestern and Penn. Was mostly shooting for Columbia/NYU for superior big-law placement.

So my question ultimately boils down to whether it is worth going another round without the possibility to retake, hoping for better outcomes/more money, or if I should go ahead with UVA?

cavalier1138

Re: UVA $ with a 179 or hope for a friendlier cycle?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Even with a 179, your GPA makes CCN a long shot.

I don't foresee you getting better outcomes by waiting another cycle here. At best, you might see a Northwestern offer with a better scholarship. But UVA with 18k a year seems like a good outcome for your numbers.

Gotthesplits

New

Post by Gotthesplits » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Even with a 179, your GPA makes CCN a long shot.

I don't foresee you getting better outcomes by waiting another cycle here. At best, you might see a Northwestern offer with a better scholarship. But UVA with 18k a year seems like a good outcome for your numbers.
Pretty much my opinion as well. Hard to be grateful with my LSAT but equally hard to be ungrateful with my GPA. Just trying to make sure I'm not leaving too much on the table.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm

I was in a similar spot with ~3.00 uGPA and 179 LSAT. I didn't even get in UVA (but I got Chicago, where I eventually opted not to go to).

I am guessing like me, your low uGPA comes with serious red flags (Fs in some semesters) in non STEM major.

I think it's not a "friendlier" cycle but just pure random luck school to school with super split apps like ours. CCN/HYS though don't really need help with LSAT so they are long shots any year.

I think UVA with $ is already a good outcome and it is already strong enough for biglaw placement if that's what you're after and are confident in your abilities to get at least median.

Gotthesplits

New

Post by Gotthesplits » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm

icansortofmath wrote:I was in a similar spot with ~3.00 uGPA and 179 LSAT. I didn't even get UVA.

I am guessing like me, your low uGPA comes with serious red flags (Fs in some semesters) in non STEM major.

If so, I don't think you'll get much better outcomes.
Nah, it was just a bunch of Cs from a lazy kid that wasn't interested in his Econ major. No upward trend, wrote my PS about how I've turned myself around in work and discovering my passion for the law and all that good stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jsnow212

Bronze

Post by jsnow212 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 pm

UVA 18k/yr is a solid outcome. I'd take it and run.

Alternatively, did you apply to Fordham? A full ride from there might sway me...

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 pm

jsnow212 wrote:UVA 18k/yr is a solid outcome. I'd take it and run.

Alternatively, did you apply to Fordham? A full ride from there might sway me...
UVA with $54k is a very solid outcome. Meanwhile, the median Fordham student will strike out of BigLaw.

OP, congrats on the offer and enjoy Charlottesville!

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 pm

Gotthesplits wrote:
icansortofmath wrote:I was in a similar spot with ~3.00 uGPA and 179 LSAT. I didn't even get UVA.

Nah, it was just a bunch of Cs from a lazy kid that wasn't interested in his Econ major. No upward trend, wrote my PS about how I've turned myself around in work and discovering my passion for the law and all that good stuff.
Honestly I think you have a shot at getting one of CCN in any given year (basically whenever they happen to need your LSAT and/or person reading your PS buys the story) but I just don’t think you need it. UVA+$ is a really good outcome for any law related career goal.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 pm

icansortofmath wrote:
Gotthesplits wrote:

Honestly I think you have a shot at getting one of CCN in any given year (basically whenever they happen to need your LSAT and/or person reading your PS buys the story) but I just don’t think you need it. UVA+$ is a really good outcome for any law related career goal.
I agree. Even if OP does get into CCN, it will be at sticker. For NY BigLaw goals, I'm not sure CCN at sticker is worth it over UVA with $54k - and with the unpredictability for "extreme" splitters like OP, there's no guarantee they would even get into CCN next cycle and no guarantee they would get the same offer at UVA again.

Congrats again to OP and I strongly recommend they accept UVA's offer. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”