Ohio State vs Capital Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cooperlaw7

New

Ohio State vs Capital

Post by cooperlaw7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Trying to decide between a full ride to Capital (a strong regional school in Columbus) and sticker price at Ohio State. I put deposits down for both to lengthen my decision time.

I would like to stay and work in Columbus long-term, not set on BigLaw - probably a midsize firm or working in-house for a business. Larger firms in the city take in a pretty good amount of graduates from Capital and other less ranked schools around Ohio but majority are from OSU if that paints any type of picture.

OSU is about ~$30k a year. Capital is free with the addition of the cost of books. Living costs aren't a huge deal for me since I'm already from here.

Capital's scholarship condition is maintaining a 2.8 GPA I believe. Not interested in retaking because these are the schools I would be considering regardless because I'd like to be working in Columbus and want to build that network here.

Would like to know what your guys' opinions on which I should choose, thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Ohio State vs Capital

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Neither. Ohio State is too expensive with your current offer, and Capital is a scam.
cooperlaw7 wrote:Not interested in retaking because these are the schools I would be considering regardless because I'd like to be working in Columbus and want to build that network here.
You should retake. I'm not saying "retake" because I think you should consider other schools. Ohio State is a great outcome if you want to work in Ohio. I'm saying "retake" because you should be going to Ohio State for free (or at least for a hell of a lot less than sticker).

If you're only going to take on $90k in debt total (I'm very confused about your statement regarding COL) at OSU and categorically refuse to wait, it won't be life-ruining. But don't, under any circumstances, go to Capital.

cooperlaw7

New

Post by cooperlaw7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Neither. Ohio State is too expensive with your current offer, and Capital is a scam.
Why do you think Capital is a scam or that I shouldn't go under any circumstances? I'm just curious. I've talked to several Capital Law alums that are pretty successful so I'm just wondering what your personal take on the school is.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:49 pm

cooperlaw7 wrote:
Why do you think Capital is a scam or that I shouldn't go under any circumstances? I'm just curious. I've talked to several Capital Law alums that are pretty successful so I'm just wondering what your personal take on the school is.
You can check out the data yourself, it doesn't paint a rosy picture.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/capital/

There are successful alums from every school, but anecdotal evidence doesn't outweigh the prevailing statistical trends. Mid size and big firm jobs are prohibitively hard to get out of capital, and in house jobs are prohibitively hard to get without starting at larger firms. Your goals do not align with Capital.

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:00 pm

As a practicing lawyer in Columbus, I tend to agree with cavalier1138. I will note, though, that it's tough to get a full-ride scholarship from OSU, even if you have really strong numbers. I had a GPA and LSAT well above their 75th percentiles, and was offered a 50% scholarship (which I later negotiated up to more like 60%), and I knew others with strong numbers who got similar scholarship offers.

But you should go to a law school where you will be happy with your outcome assuming that you graduate at median. Graduating at median from OSU isn't going to get you into a lot of good legal jobs, including BigLaw, but you will likely get a job as an attorney in Columbus. That is far less likely graduating at median from Capital.

I'd retake and try to get at least a significant scholarship at OSU, if not shoot for a T14 school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm

OSU. No competition.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:OSU. No competition.
What he said. There is no comparison between OSU and Capital - it's not remotely close.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”