Rutgers $$$$ vs. Seton Hall $$$ (vs Cardozo $$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nixy

Gold

Re: Rutgers $$$$ vs. Seton Hall $$$ (vs Cardozo $$$)

Post by nixy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:21 am

I think the above is correct, but where the cliff falls depends more on your market and what schools are local than rankings per se. Overall though I agree that people can move up postgrad a bit more than this board generally suggests. (Possibly a bit more on the margins - you’re not likely to go from a PI mill to Skadden [insert other top firm of choice here] - but careers are long and varied.)

This may not be as helpful for the OP since Seton Hall and Rutgers are have a LOT of higher ranked schools locally, although it’s also a huge legal market. Although my impression has been that the local NJ state clerkships that Seton Hall dominates are not bad stepping stones to local New Jersey mid/small firms (not a biglaw outcome but not unemployed either).

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 am

nixy wrote:I think the above is correct, but where the cliff falls depends more on your market and what schools are local than rankings per se. Overall though I agree that people can move up postgrad a bit more than this board generally suggests. (Possibly a bit more on the margins - you’re not likely to go from a PI mill to Skadden [insert other top firm of choice here] - but careers are long and varied.)

This may not be as helpful for the OP since Seton Hall and Rutgers are have a LOT of higher ranked schools locally, although it’s also a huge legal market. Although my impression has been that the local NJ state clerkships that Seton Hall dominates are not bad stepping stones to local New Jersey mid/small firms (not a biglaw outcome but not unemployed either).
Anecdotally I’ve heard that the market is inundated with state clerkship finishers to the point that a legitimate legal job is very far from guaranteed even after finishing one of those post-Rutgers state clerkships.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
nixy wrote:I think the above is correct, but where the cliff falls depends more on your market and what schools are local than rankings per se. Overall though I agree that people can move up postgrad a bit more than this board generally suggests. (Possibly a bit more on the margins - you’re not likely to go from a PI mill to Skadden [insert other top firm of choice here] - but careers are long and varied.)

Anecdotally I’ve heard that the market is inundated with state clerkship finishers to the point that a legitimate legal job is very far from guaranteed even after finishing one of those post-Rutgers state clerkships.
That's entirely possible - my evidence is anecdotal as well. It probably depends a lot on the individual situation (the applicant's qualifications besides the clerkship, the judge they clerked for, etc).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”