NYU vs. Duke vs. Northwestern Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
publius1997

New

NYU vs. Duke vs. Northwestern

Post by publius1997 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:52 pm

-Trying to decide between NYU at sticker, Duke at $15,000 per year, and Northwestern at $40,000 per year.
-I will mostly be paying for school by myself through student loans, though my parents will likely contribute around $15,000-$20,000 per year
-I'm from the Midwest and I'd eventually like to work in Chicago or D.C..
-I'd like to do a federal clerkship after law school. After that, I wouldn't mind working in big law for a few years, before transitioning to a government job (DOJ, USAO, etc.)
-167/3.96, took the LSAT once and I didn't have time to retake it. I could possibly take it again in June.
-Got waitlisted at UChicago, which would be my dream school.

Thanks for the help!

Bonzeye

New

Re: NYU vs. Duke vs. Northwestern

Post by Bonzeye » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:16 pm

I'm not expert, but according to LSN you would likely save tens of thousands of dollars if you retook for a higher score. I know what I'd do in your shoes, if there isn't a seriously good reason to begin law school now.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: NYU vs. Duke vs. Northwestern

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Northwestern is not a terrible choice with a $120k scholarship but I agree with the above poster that you really ought to try and eke a few more points out of the LSAT. Low 170s should get you a full ride somewhere in the T14, including possibly UChicago.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”