W&L/BC/W&M for Prosecution Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DecisionFunTime

New

W&L/BC/W&M for Prosecution

Post by DecisionFunTime » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:12 am

Stats
168/3.1/Non-URM/K-JD

Goal
Prosecution/DA somewhere in Eastern half of US

Top Options
W&L- 40k/yr scholly
BC- 25k/yr scholly
W&M- 25k/yr scholly (in state)
GW- 30k/yr scholly
Emory- 41k/yr scholly

WL- are either of these worth riding out?
Texas
Vandy

Would be open to a retake, but with my goals/GPA, I'm not sure how much it'd help.
Thanks

objctnyrhnr

Re: W&L/BC/W&M for Prosecution

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm

DecisionFunTime wrote:Stats
168/3.1/Non-URM/K-JD

Goal
Prosecution/DA somewhere in Eastern half of US

Top Options
W&L- 40k/yr scholly
BC- 25k/yr scholly
W&M- 25k/yr scholly (in state)
GW- 30k/yr scholly
Emory- 41k/yr scholly

WL- are either of these worth riding out?
Texas
Vandy

Would be open to a retake, but with my goals/GPA, I'm not sure how much it'd help.
Thanks
It’s worth noting that major metropolitan area (ie major cities like nyc boston Atlanta) prosecutors offices are generally seen as more prestigious, better training, more interesting than others. Accordingly, I would go Bc or Emory depending on whether you’d rather prosecute in boston or Atlanta. All things being equal, 41k per year is a sweet deal and take Emory.

As to Gw, getting into dc to prosecute is much harder because it’s an ausa position so competition is steeper and it’s less of a likely thing to bet on.

Regardless, congrats on the outstanding options for your goals.

BansheeScream

New

Re: W&L/BC/W&M for Prosecution

Post by BansheeScream » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Your mindset on this is kind of wrong in my opinion. All of the schools you're considering are regional schools so I would pick where you want to live and then go to law school there. For example, if you want to be a prosecutor in Baltimore, Maryland would be a much better choice than your current options. Temple/Drexel would be better for Philly. You get the idea.

I think W&L and W&M may open up prosecutor jobs in Richmond or other smaller VA cities. GW is tough because the USAO handles all most all of the DC criminal cases so maybe you could do a MD or VA office. BC for Boston, Emory for Atlanta. With that said, if you have a city you want to live in that isn't one of the cities just mentioned, you should consider applying there instead of just based off rankings. You could get significantly more money to a lower ranked school that provides you better opportunities to be a DA in your target market.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”