Davis vs Hastings IP & Patent Bay Area Aspirations Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Soso694

New

Davis vs Hastings IP & Patent Bay Area Aspirations

Post by Soso694 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 am

I got a nice financial aid package from Hastings (scholarships totaling $105,000, $75K of which rests on the condition that I be in the top 75% of the class - could not get condition removed). I also got an outside scholarship that can only apply to Bay Area schools (so Davis is not included ☹️) which would make my total cost of attendance at Hastings only $5,000/year.

Davis has given me $20,000/year and the number is firm. I have until Friday to deposit at Hastings to keep part of my scholarship.

I'm still waiting on several schools but this is where I am right now. The only other decision I got back was from UVA which was a WL. Also if it makes any difference, I'm a URM (Black female STEM grad) who wants to do IP& Patent Law. Not a lot of us out there so don't know what that will do for me in terms of job placement. I do want a cushy $200K/year starting salary.

I know Davis is ranked higher and is better overall, but considering my financial aid package from Hastings, I honestly don't know what to do. Hastings makes the most sense right now.

Additionally, how hard is it to place in the top 15% of Hastings vs Davis? I figured bigger class size = more room at the top.

cavalier1138

Re: Davis vs Hastings IP & Patent Bay Area Aspirations

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Soso694 wrote:I do want a cushy $200K/year starting salary.
I want a pony. It's about as likely that some strange benefactor gives me a free pony as it is that you get biglaw IP from these schools without a graduate STEM degree and/or other patent qualifications.
Soso694 wrote:Additionally, how hard is it to place in the top 15% of Hastings vs Davis? I figured bigger class size = more room at the top.
Except more people competing for those slots. It's exactly as hard to place in the top 15% of the class at both schools, and you should always assume you won't be in the top half, let alone the top 15%. If you can't reasonably achieve your goals from median, don't go.

Soso694

New

Post by Soso694 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Soso694 wrote:I do want a cushy $200K/year starting salary.
I want a pony. It's about as likely that some strange benefactor gives me a free pony as it is that you get biglaw IP from these schools without a graduate STEM degree and/or other patent qualifications.
Soso694 wrote:Additionally, how hard is it to place in the top 15% of Hastings vs Davis? I figured bigger class size = more room at the top.
Except more people competing for those slots. It's exactly as hard to place in the top 15% of the class at both schools, and you should always assume you won't be in the top half, let alone the top 15%. If you can't reasonably achieve your goals from median, don't go.
Dang who stole your cookies?
I figured bigger class = more As to pass out. Easier to be in top 10% in a 100 person class than a 50 person class since they're grading on a curve.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Soso694 wrote: I figured bigger class = more As to pass out. Easier to be in top 10% in a 100 person class than a 50 person class since they're grading on a curve.
I don’t think this logic pans out at all. More As to give — and also more Cs or Fs or what have you. The curve might differ between the schools — I don’t know — but assuming it’s the same or similar, I do not at all see how a larger class size is going to help you out. More room at the top = more room at the bottom.

If you’re flexible on your $200k/year IP goals and can envision other ways of being a lawyer in the Bay Area that would make you happy, Hastings makes sense. But if you’re not flexible on those goals, unfortunately neither of these schools are safe bets.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:58 pm

I think cavalier is giving you an honest opinion. If you're set on making a lot of money after graduation, you need to get into a T13 to get a realistic shot at that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:25 am

Soso694 wrote:Easier to be in top 10% in a 100 person class than a 50 person class since they're grading on a curve.
You have the same chance in both classes: 10%. I know lawyers don't have to do much math, but come on.
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote formatting.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Am I missing something here? OP has a STEM degree and should have a pretty solid shot at Patent Lit (maybe Patent Pro too if they take the Patent Bar) from either of those schools.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Am I missing something here? OP has a STEM degree and should have a pretty solid shot at Patent Lit (maybe Patent Pro too if they take the Patent Bar) from either of those schools.
"A STEM degree" is not sufficient to walk into biglaw from a middling school. There's a huge spectrum of usefulness between (say) a BS in biology and a PhD in computer science.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:34 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Am I missing something here? OP has a STEM degree and should have a pretty solid shot at Patent Lit (maybe Patent Pro too if they take the Patent Bar) from either of those schools.
"A STEM degree" is not sufficient to walk into biglaw from a middling school. There's a huge spectrum of usefulness between (say) a BS in biology and a PhD in computer science.
I don’t think OP’s goal is impossible from these schools with a STEM bachelors. I just don’t think it’s likely. So long as OP has a realistic Plan B, I think attending Hastings at that price is reasonable. But if OP is IP biglaw or bust, there’s no safe option here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:36 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Soso694 wrote:Easier to be in top 10% in a 100 person class than a 50 person class since they're grading on a curve.
You have the same chance in both classes: 10%. I know lawyers don't have to do much math, but come on.
And for the record this is a misquote. I remain convinced that OP’s logic here is wack.
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote formatting.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Sls17 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
And for the record this is a misquote. I remain convinced that OP’s logic here is wack.
I fixed the misquotes. I agree with your advice, Sls. It's possible, but not likely. The only exception would be if (say) OP's STEM Bachelor's is an engineering degree from Stanford (or a similarly prestigious institution) and OP is targeting patent prosecution. In that case OP would be in a great position. But if OP's STEM degree isn't in engineering, or if OP isn't targeting prosecution, they won't get a big boost from it. IP litigation cares about having a STEM background, but still cares much more about law school prestige and grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”