Help me decide pls Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I pick? (w/ scholarship total)

Poll ended at Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:39 am

Chicago 60k
8%
NYU 78k
8%
Michigan 150k
46%
Duke 120k
8%
UVA 135k
8%
Penn 108k
8%
Northwestern 180k
15%

Total votes: 13

lawschoolguy7

New

Help me decide pls

Post by lawschoolguy7 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 am

Hi guys! I'm trying to make a final decision but having a hard time knowing what to prioritize. My stats are 171/4.0, my ultimate career goal is to be a judge (so I'm hoping to clerk), and I'm leaning towards public interest but not absolutely set on it.

My family has about 85k saved for my law school costs and I suppose any costs above that will require loans.

I visited 3 schools: liked Michigan a lot, liked Duke pretty well, and didn't like UVA very much. I'm from Atlanta and don't have a strong preference for any region, although warm weather is probably better. Politically on the left and may prefer a school near jobs/other schools for personal reasons.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thx :)

AdieuCali

Bronze

Re: Help me decide pls

Post by AdieuCali » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Congratulations on an amazing cycle! The outcomes at these schools are going to be very similar (except maybe Chicago and NYU - more on that later). https://www.lstreports.com/compare/mich ... stern/uva/.

So let's compare total COA. Once we plug in your scholarships, your lowest cost options are (assuming 3yrs out-of-state tuition):
UVA: $170k
UM: $165k
NU: $150k

The percentage of UM grads clerking is 2x as high as NU's. That, plus the fact that you really liked UM makes it definitely worth the extra $15k over NU. Duke and Penn are both going to be $200k+ and your outcomes are likely to be the same or worse than UM's. I think you can safely eliminate those options.

NYU and Chicago are both going to be very expensive. COA: https://www.lstreports.com/compare/nyu/chicago/
NYU: $285k
UC: $300k
NYU is the best PI school outside of Yale and UC has better clerkship rates than Harvard. That being said, neither of these schools are worth an extra $120-140k over Michigan.

Ann Arbor is obviously a small town, not a city. But you will be able to land a job in any major legal market from UM.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Second everything above, but I want to add, OP, that with a few more LSAT points you'd be a strong contender for full rides (tuition plus stipend) at roughly the same schools.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Do you have acceptances from HYS? Just curious — I had identical stats. I agree that Michigan makes good sense here, but I think several of your options are defensible especially with such a high family contribution.

lawschoolguy7

New

Post by lawschoolguy7 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:40 pm

I don't have HYS acceptances. I bombed my Harvard interview due to technical difficulties and haven't gotten YS responses.

And thank you for these responses, they make a lot of sense. I'm sort of kicking myself about the LSAT as well, because I was doing better on practice tests, but I did take it twice.

How does that website calculate its costs, AdieuCali? $165k strikes me as a very high number for Michigan considering that there will only be $37k of total tuition left over - could it really cost that much just for rent/food?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:52 pm

You might still hear from YS! They’d be worth considering if you dream of being a judge, and with your family’s financial support. But no need to kick yourself — your stats are great and so are your options.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:28 pm

lawschoolguy7 wrote:I don't have HYS acceptances. I bombed my Harvard interview due to technical difficulties and haven't gotten YS responses.

And thank you for these responses, they make a lot of sense. I'm sort of kicking myself about the LSAT as well, because I was doing better on practice tests, but I did take it twice.

How does that website calculate its costs, AdieuCali? $165k strikes me as a very high number for Michigan considering that there will only be $37k of total tuition left over - could it really cost that much just for rent/food?
LST includes expenses that aren't usually covered by simply taking the school's estimated COA and multiplying it by 3, like debt appreciation, origination fees, tuition inflation, etc. Obviously, since you'll be taking out fewer loans, your debt appreciation will be lower. But it's a handy tool for back-of-the-envelope COA calculations for threads like these. I believe it tries to account for all expenses over 10 years.

If you want a more accurate estimate, you can use the calculator here http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=225195. GULC used to have a loan calculator on their public site but I can't find it. There are other publicly available COA calculators.

That being said, schools typically underestimate cost of living. For one, many only calculate COL for the months you're attending class, so the figures on some school's sites are for 9 months not 12. Even at the T13, most students do not have paying jobs 1L summer or during bar prep. So you will have to factor in COL expenses for 3 months during 1L and 5 months after graduation before the start of your stub year(though most biglaw firms give bar stipends). Additionally, many law students defensibly decide not to do the undergrad ramen diet for another 3 years and also spend money on bar review, dinners out, and vacations to keep their sanity. Going out even 1 night a week adds up over the course of the year. Finally, buying hornbooks, suits for OCI, and other school-related expenses can add a couple g's to your total COA.

All in all, with your family support, I could see your total debt being closer to 60k at UM, UVA, and NU. You could pay that off in your first year of Biglaw by living frugally. If you're seriously considering retaking, you can play around with this to see what LSAT you'd need for a named scholly at T6-T10 https://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/scholarships/graph/. But I think your current options are fantastic and you wouldn't have as much to gain as many others by retaking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”