What's going on with WUSTL?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
olemiss18

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm

What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby olemiss18 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:29 am

Noticed folks saying that WUSTL's biglaw + fed clerk rate is now 60% and US News shows a jump in median private sector starting salary from $125k to $162k. Is the economy opening up more biglaw jobs in StL/KC? Or is WashU becoming more of a national reach school?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5891
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:56 am

Looks like everyone saw a jump in their numbers this year. Depending on how optimistic you are, it means that the legal hiring market is booming or that another downturn is imminent.

The Lsat Airbender

Bronze
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby The Lsat Airbender » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:50 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Looks like everyone saw a jump in their numbers this year.


This is pretty much the whole story. To their credit, WashU has poured a ton of money and effort into 1) attracting the best students they can and 2) getting the attention of NY/Chicago employers, which makes them outsize beneficiaries of a good economy. It's hard to say how durable the effect will be if legal hiring contracts and the T13 graduating class is once again enough to satisfy demand.

ETA: Fordham also had an insane year, which strongly implies that the demand is coming from NY

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2116
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby QContinuum » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:49 pm

WUSTL's long been a strong school, and I think it's on the upswing. That said, it's still very much a T20, and based on how the T20 have historically fared during recessions (they were hit disproportionately hard post-2008), and given the strong likelihood that we will experience another recession in the next few years, I would be wary of overrelying on any T20's current placement numbers.

macejames7

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:00 pm

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby macejames7 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm

olemiss18 wrote:Noticed folks saying that WUSTL's biglaw + fed clerk rate is now 60% and US News shows a jump in median private sector starting salary from $125k to $162k. Is the economy opening up more biglaw jobs in StL/KC? Or is WashU becoming more of a national reach school?

The datas out, Wustl misled the people at the ASD. Their biglaw + fed clerk rate is 52%(still very good). When the said 60%, they meant out of their employed gratduates 60% had biglaw + fed clerk + state/local clerk (came to about 59%).

objctnyrhnr

Moderator
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:12 pm

macejames7 wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:Noticed folks saying that WUSTL's biglaw + fed clerk rate is now 60% and US News shows a jump in median private sector starting salary from $125k to $162k. Is the economy opening up more biglaw jobs in StL/KC? Or is WashU becoming more of a national reach school?

The datas out, Wustl misled the people at the ASD. Their biglaw + fed clerk rate is 52%(still very good). When the said 60%, they meant out of their employed gratduates 60% had biglaw + fed clerk + state/local clerk (came to about 59%).


Is this as egregious as it sounds? Was the initial statement in writing?

macejames7

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:00 pm

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby macejames7 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:19 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
macejames7 wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:Noticed folks saying that WUSTL's biglaw + fed clerk rate is now 60% and US News shows a jump in median private sector starting salary from $125k to $162k. Is the economy opening up more biglaw jobs in StL/KC? Or is WashU becoming more of a national reach school?

The datas out, Wustl misled the people at the ASD. Their biglaw + fed clerk rate is 52%(still very good). When the said 60%, they meant out of their employed gratduates 60% had biglaw + fed clerk + state/local clerk (came to about 59%).


Is this as egregious as it sounds? Was the initial statement in writing?

I wasn't at the ASD, so i'm getting second had accounts. From what I understand the dean announced this at ASD, so no writing. He said biglaw and clerk 60%/public interest 15% (which I believe turned out to be 14% if you include gov jobs).

nixy

Silver
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby nixy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:53 pm

I don’t think that’s an egregious misrepresentation.

The Lsat Airbender

Bronze
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby The Lsat Airbender » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Yeah, it's pretty common to fold state clerkships into a total "clerkship" number for promotional materials. It's necessary to hive off federal judges specifically when comparing law schools for a number of reasons, so it's de rigueur on websites like this one, but any kind of clerkship is a fine outcome for most people.

cheaptilts

Bronze
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: What's going on with WUSTL?

Postby cheaptilts » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:12 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:Yeah, it's pretty common to fold state clerkships into a total "clerkship" number for promotional materials. It's necessary to hive off federal judges specifically when comparing law schools for a number of reasons, so it's de rigueur on websites like this one, but any kind of clerkship is a fine outcome for most people.

I agree with this. I don’t find that egregious at all.



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest