Dayton vs. Akron Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nerdy_eyes

New

Dayton vs. Akron

Post by nerdy_eyes » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 pm

Hello,

I applied to five law schools (got accepted into three and I'm waiting to hear back on two more).

I have received acceptance letters from:
Capital University (I'm not considering to enroll there anymore)
University of Akron (got an scholarship offer of $5000 annually as long as I remain in good standing)
University of Dayton (got an scholarship offer of $32,000 ($12,000 non-conditional and $20,000 are upon condition that I maintain a 2.5 GPA)

Waiting to hear back from:
Ohio State
Case Western

The living expenses that I would have in both Akron and Dayton are minimal since I would be able to stay with family.

I'm not 100% sure as to which field of law I would like to specialize in, but the health-law program at Akron caught my attention. I know that I do not want to pursue a career in public or criminal law. Also, I have worked a paralegal for the last three years, assisting with Employment law, but would like to explore other options. Do you have any comments that could help me make a decision between Akron and Dayton?

Dayton would be much cheaper but does it make sense to choose a school based on cost savings?

Thank you,
Nerdy_Eyes

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Re: Dayton vs. Akron

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:24 pm

When it comes to deciding between law schools outside the t-13, I have always believed that where you want to practice is the most important consideration along with cost of attendance. If you want to practice in the Dayton, OH and/or western Ohio area, go to Dayton. If you want to practice in NE Ohio, and particularly Akron, then go to Akron for law school. Same goes even for OSU, which primarily places in Columbus, but it does have the best placement throughout the state.

What are your stats, btw? I only ask because either Dayton or Akron are a great option unless you are 100% to practicing in those respective regions, and they are going to be near free to attend.

You can PM me with you want as I attended school in Ohio and work in the state.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:01 pm

In addition to what was already said, what's your total cost of attendance at these schools? And how much do you expect to make in order to pay off that debt?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Obviously healthcare is the dominant industry in NE Ohio, so in theory a school like Akron is well positioned for the field. Employers in the area value local connections; ever fearful that recruits from further afield will leave after one bad winter.

However, a health law program is hardly unusual. You're going to be competing against students from CWRY and CSU in Cleveland and OSU to the south for every position. Those students, as well as graduating from higher ranked schools, are also generally closer to the region's healthcare jobs.

I know lawyers who have achieved the outcomes you're after from Akron, but I have no doubt that they're the exception.

popgoestheweasel

New

Post by popgoestheweasel » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:38 am

But Akron has a lazy river!!!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”