UCI vs GWU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yuanyuan

New

UCI vs GWU

Post by yuanyuan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 am

Hello All,

First time posting on this forum.

I am an international applicatant and by far there are 7 law schools that admitted me:Milliam and Mary(114k) , ASU(130K), GW(90K), Minnesota(Full scholarship), UCDavis(120k), Emory (111k) and UCIrvine(no scholarship info yet, said they will reach a decision in late March).

Because I plan to live and work in Bay Area in the long run so I am leaning to choose UCIrvine (provided that the school will offer me some scholarship). And I plan to find a job in corporate/business law field.

So I wonder is this a wise choosing based on my current admission options?

Any advice and insight are appreciated! Thank in advance!

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: UCI vs GWU

Post by Wubbles » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 am

What are your stats?

NoseTackle

New

Post by NoseTackle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 am

You have wechat? My ID: PalyNoseTackle. GW and Emory in the run, from the bay and happy to chat.

yuanyuan

New

Post by yuanyuan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 am

Wubbles wrote:What are your stats?
Hi!
Do you mean my LSAT score?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 pm

yuanyuan wrote:I am an international applicatant and by far there are 7 law schools that admitted me:Milliam and Mary(114k) , ASU(130K), GW(90K), Minnesota(Full scholarship), UCDavis(120k), Emory (111k) and UCIrvine(no scholarship info yet, said they will reach a decision in late March).

Because I plan to live and work in Bay Area in the long run so I am leaning to choose UCIrvine (provided that the school will offer me some scholarship). And I plan to find a job in corporate/business law field.
What's your LSAT score and what rating/evaluation did LSAC give you (Superior/Above Average/etc.)? That will help us advise whether your best option could be to retake the LSAT for a higher score and reapply in the fall.

Out of your current options, all of those schools place locally/regionally, so if you want to practice in CA, I'd begin by ruling out all of the non-CA schools. Those schools simply won't get you a CA job.

As for whether either Davis or Irvine will get you your desired "corporate law" outcome, if by "corporate law" you mean market-paying BigLaw, then that is very unlikely out of Davis, which has a BigLaw placement rate of ~17%, and cannot be relied upon out of Irvine, which has a BigLaw placement rate of ~43% (much better than Davis, but it still means the "average" Irvine student will not be getting a BigLaw job). And as you may suspect/know, finding a job is much more difficult for non-U.S. citizens who will require employer sponsorship, so your odds will be worse than the 17%/43% indicate. If your reason for going to law school is BigLaw, then you should not attend either school.

yuanyuan

New

Post by yuanyuan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:26 am

NoseTackle wrote:You have wechat? My ID: PalyNoseTackle. GW and Emory in the run, from the bay and happy to chat.
Hello~ Yes I do have wechat and I just added you~

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”