UChicago vs. Georgetown Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
e_4_m17

New

UChicago vs. Georgetown

Post by e_4_m17 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Hello! I was accepted into both the University of Chicago Law School and Georgetown University Law Center. I'd like to go into private practice in the East Coast (NY or DC). I want to choose the school that will provide me with the best education and the best opportunities for finding a job.

I have visited Georgetown's campus (both the undergrad and the law school campuses) but I have not visited Chicago's campus. I have heard of safety concerns in Chicago--though I've also heard that the campus is beautiful--and I'd like to hear more input on this.

I'd also appreciate any insight into the student life/culture of each school. Thank you!

cavalier1138

Re: UChicago vs. Georgetown

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:47 pm

What's your cost of attendance at each? Which other schools have you been accepted to, and what's your cost of attendance at those schools?

CR7

New

Post by CR7 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Assuming money is not an issue, go to Chicago. The gap between Chicago and GULC is not even close. DC Big law is competitive from anywhere so don't worry about that for now. Just focus on grades.

e_4_m17

New

Post by e_4_m17 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 am

cavalier1138 wrote:What's your cost of attendance at each? Which other schools have you been accepted to, and what's your cost of attendance at those schools?
I haven't received financial aid offers yet from either school, so assuming that cost of attendance is not an issue, which would you suggest?

I have also been accepted at University of Virginia and Cornell and I've received very good financial aid offers from both.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:36 am

You're not posting numbers, which makes this difficult, but not even close to a question of Chicago >>> GULC. What's the offer from UVA though? Good money at UVA is probably your best option unless you get a good chunk from Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:40 am

You have great options, assuming money off table.

To me it’d come down to Chicago or uva.

I’d take g town off the table. Don’t forget that we may be in an economic slump when you get out. G town takes a hit in those circumstances, but uva and Chicago are sufficiently prestigious that they weather that storm much better.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:02 pm

e_4_m17 wrote:I haven't received financial aid offers yet from either school, so assuming that cost of attendance is not an issue, which would you suggest?
I've never understood what this means. Do you mean that you're independently wealthy? That you don't mind getting your parents to drop a few hundred grand on you? That you don't understand debt?

Cost of attendance is one of the biggest issues that needs to be considered when comparing law school options. The only things you get out of law school that last after graduation are your degree, your network, and your debt. You don't get to bring a nice campus or student culture with you.
e_4_m17 wrote:I have also been accepted at University of Virginia and Cornell and I've received very good financial aid offers from both.
Then as mentioned, Georgetown should no longer be in consideration. I'd need to know the specific numbers to be more helpful, but UVA with significant aid trumps Chicago with nothing for your goals.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:29 am

I agree, between UChicago and Georgetown, UChicago is the clear choice. Great name, great professors (not that Georgetown doesn't have these), but most importantly, their job placement is significantly better. Assuming you'll have at least some level of debt attending either, I think UChicago will open more doors initially, especially if you're not sure where you want to end up region-wise, and Georgetown should really only be a consideration if you will come out of it with almost no debt and/or you want to just stay in DC.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:21 am

Absent a strong desire for academia or top-tier federal clerkships, TCR is UVA with/$$. If you had more unicorn-ish type goals, UChicago might be worth more money ($50k, $100k, IDk?). But UVA places just as well as Chi in Biglaw and posts respectable Fedclerk numbers. https://www.lstreports.com/compare/uva/chicago/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”