NC Applicant and I do not know what to do Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
markdorkman

New

NC Applicant and I do not know what to do

Post by markdorkman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:40 pm

I had just above average scores on my LSAT 152-1st 156-2nd

I have been accepted to Campbell, Elon and UNC is a huge long shot.

Due to family issues I am pretty much bound to NC. Between Campbell, Elon, and NCCU (still waiting) what are my best options? I am currently stuck in a career track that maxes at 50k per year with no upward mobility....and I am currently at the 35-40k mark.

Thank you for any input

cavalier1138

Re: NC Applicant and I do not know what to do

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:21 am

Retake. Campbell and Elon are scams.

If you need to stay in NC, retake the LSAT for a score that will get you a full scholarship at UNC. Most importantly, though, don't go to law school if your only goal is to find a career with "upward mobility" and a higher paycheck. There are lots of non-legal options for those careers, and law is a very specific professional calling. Only go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, regardless of what you'll get paid.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 pm

I second the advice given above. There is a good chance you might end up worse off attending any of these schools - and I would also include UNC unless you have a full ride- than staying at your current jobs or just changing jobs. I do not think law school is a solution unless you really want to become a lawyer and if that is the case, you should retake the LSAT and go from there.
markdorkman wrote:I had just above average scores on my LSAT 152-1st 156-2nd

Due to family issues I am pretty much bound to NC. Between Campbell, Elon, and NCCU (still waiting) what are my best options? I am currently stuck in a career track that maxes at 50k per year with no upward mobility....and I am currently at the 35-40k mark.

Thank you for any input

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:26 pm

Your current salary is more than enough to justify waiting a year. At these schools, if you don't get a top 10-20% outcome, you may be in worse shape than you are right now for a few years. There are many stories of people starting unemployed making six-figures five or six years out, but I'd venture to say many could have done this outside of law as well. With an LSAT 10 points higher, you greatly increase the odds of not only a higher starting salary but higher long term salary as well.

Don't forget that while in law school, you don't earn any income and 50k in the south is nothing to sneeze at. An hour of LSAT prep a day for 6 months can go a long way.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:43 pm

markdorkman wrote:I had just above average scores on my LSAT 152-1st 156-2nd

Thank you for any input
You should not go into deep debt for these law schools. You will end up 6 figures in debt for a job that pays about what you are making now.

jdcumlaude

New

Post by jdcumlaude » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:49 pm

dude.....use the search function at the top right (near your notifications) search for the schools in question and make the wise choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”