Money aside which of these schools would be better if I want to work in Atlanta? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
macejames7

New

Re: Money aside which of these schools would be better if I want to work in Atlanta?

Post by macejames7 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm

notrub14 wrote:
macejames7 wrote:Thanks for the information everyone, I am now deciding on only between Vandy and Emory. Quick update on my situation though, honestly I was leaning toward Vandy bc of the fact that their placement were quite a bit better than Emory's, but my parents are offering to pay for Emory (roughly $43,000 for all 3 years)/my living expense if I stay in Georgia. Combine that with the fact that Vandy still haven't given me a scholarship package yet leads me to believe I'm not going to be getting that much. So I am now leaning heavily Emory. Are Vandy's chance that much better that I should turn down my parents offer?
Why are your parents willing to pay for Emory but not Vandy? Just curious
They don't trust me to come back to GA after I graduate unless I go to a in-state school (even though I told them ATL is my preferred market). At least that's what they say. In reality I think it's because they don't trust me. I fucked up quite badly in under grad. It took me 5 years to graduate with a sub 3.0 GPA with a degree in Poli Sci. They also don't like the fact that it took 3 years for me to go back to school (I tried to explain to them the work experience might help since I can distance myself from my GPA, but they didn't buy it). So they want to keep an eye on me. I don't like it, but I also don't blame them. I was quite a fuck up before working the past few years.

notrub14

New

Re: Money aside which of these schools would be better if I want to work in Atlanta?

Post by notrub14 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:37 pm

macejames7 wrote:
notrub14 wrote:
macejames7 wrote:Thanks for the information everyone, I am now deciding on only between Vandy and Emory. Quick update on my situation though, honestly I was leaning toward Vandy bc of the fact that their placement were quite a bit better than Emory's, but my parents are offering to pay for Emory (roughly $43,000 for all 3 years)/my living expense if I stay in Georgia. Combine that with the fact that Vandy still haven't given me a scholarship package yet leads me to believe I'm not going to be getting that much. So I am now leaning heavily Emory. Are Vandy's chance that much better that I should turn down my parents offer?
They don't trust me to come back to GA after I graduate unless I go to a in-state school (even though I told them ATL is my preferred market). At least that's what they say. In reality I think it's because they don't trust me. I fucked up quite badly in under grad. It took me 5 years to graduate with a sub 3.0 GPA with a degree in Poli Sci. They also don't like the fact that it took 3 years for me to go back to school (I tried to explain to them the work experience might help since I can distance myself from my GPA, but they didn't buy it). So they want to keep an eye on me. I don't like it, but I also don't blame them. I was quite a fuck up before working the past few years.
Would they pay for second and third year at Vanderbilt if you’ve accepted a summer associate spot in Atlanta at beginning of 2L year? That’s a much firmer lock-in to Atlanta than going to Emory.

Sprinkler

New

Post by Sprinkler » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:37 pm

FWIW: Had a discussion at a luncheon today with a veteran Atl attorney whose son narrowly choose Emory over UGA. He said they are unequivocally the best choices for getting started in Atl. His opinion, not mine. His son also had offers from Penn, Duke and a couple of other prominent schools. He said those outstanding schools would have easily opened doors at Atlanta firms.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Sprinkler wrote:FWIW: Had a discussion at a luncheon today with a veteran Atl attorney whose son narrowly choose Emory over UGA. He said they are unequivocally the best choices for getting started in Atl. His opinion, not mine. His son also had offers from Penn, Duke and a couple of other prominent schools. He said those outstanding schools would have easily opened doors at Atlanta firms.
A bit confused. If Penn and Duke "would have easily opened doors at Atlanta firms," and given that we know Penn and Duke have much stronger BigLaw placement nationally than Emory/UGA, what exactly make Emory/UGA "unequivocally the best choices"? I'm not seeing much daylight between "easily open[] doors at Atlanta firms" and "unequivocally the best choices for getting started in ATL." Is the suggestion that, once in the workforce in ATL, Emory/UGA grads are treated better than Penn/Duke grads?

macejames7

New

Post by macejames7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:15 pm

notrub14 wrote:
macejames7 wrote:
notrub14 wrote:
Would they pay for second and third year at Vanderbilt if you’ve accepted a summer associate spot in Atlanta at beginning of 2L year? That’s a much firmer lock-in to Atlanta than going to Emory.
They said they'd think about it, but that probably means a no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

macejames7

New

Post by macejames7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:17 pm

Sprinkler wrote:FWIW: Had a discussion at a luncheon today with a veteran Atl attorney whose son narrowly choose Emory over UGA. He said they are unequivocally the best choices for getting started in Atl. His opinion, not mine. His son also had offers from Penn, Duke and a couple of other prominent schools. He said those outstanding schools would have easily opened doors at Atlanta firms.
I gather from you post that you're an attorney in ATL. I know this is not the thread, but could you give some advice as to how to successfully network in the ATL market? And just whatever I can do to increase my chances at having a job post graduation?

Sprinkler

New

Post by Sprinkler » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:32 pm

macejames7 wrote: .... could you give some advice as to how to successfully network in the ATL market? And just whatever I can do to increase my chances at having a job post graduation?
I lateraled 2 here two years ago, so not much help on the Atlanta networking scene. During SA season we had several SAs from Emory, UGA, GA State and Mercer. We also had Miami, G’town, Cornell, W&L, Vandy, GW ― I am undoubtedly forgetting some others (we were slammed). I recall working with 2 SAs from Emory. I heard that all the SAs were offered.

IMO: What helped me was, T14 grad with some southern ties (not GA) and most important [for everyone], superior academic credentials. I will say that there is a focus on T14 candidates, that said, T14 candidates do not always get the nod…do not understand why. Basically, back to a crap shoot. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”