How does Columbia place into the Miami legal market? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SandDollars

New

How does Columbia place into the Miami legal market?

Post by SandDollars » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:29 pm

First post on TLS after reading a lot of helpful threads!
Although I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, I'm leaning toward Columbia after receiving a Hamilton. I also have ties to NYC that would make it convenient to stay here for at least a few years (SO and friends live here, etc.).

That said, I'm pretty sure I don't want to stay in NYC forever. I have family in South Florida and practicing in Miami is something I've been thinking a lot about, but I have no idea what it takes to place into a Miami firm. I know that ties matter, and I think having family in the area is a definite plus for me on that front. But is a Columbia grad going to perform significantly worse placement-wise outside of NYC than someone out of HYS?

When I have the rest of my decisions, I might be back for more advice on what choice to make, but for now I'd really like to know about secondary market placement out of a school like Columbia - both immediately out of law school and later down the road (i.e. after practicing at a firm, likely in NYC, for a few years).

Thanks in advance for any advice, it really is appreciated!

QContinuum

Re: How does Columbia place into the Miami legal market?

Post by QContinuum » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 am

YSH are reputed to place disproportionately strongly into the Miami market, particularly for those with weak/no ties. But given your strong family ties to Miami, you should do fine coming from CCN.

Has Columbia offered you any merit aid? If you're facing Columbia at sticker, or Columbia with only need-based aid, and you get into YSH, you should attend YSH.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 am

QContinuum wrote:YSH are reputed to place disproportionately strongly into the Miami market, particularly for those with weak/no ties. But given your strong family ties to Miami, you should do fine coming from CCN.

Has Columbia offered you any merit aid? If you're facing Columbia at sticker, or Columbia with only need-based aid, and you get into YSH, you should attend YSH.
OP has a Hamilton

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:30 am

Wubbles wrote:OP has a Hamilton
Yes, I missed that. In that case, I'd plump for Columbia. No need to attend YSH over CCN for BigLaw (even BigLaw in a secondary market).

SandDollars

New

Post by SandDollars » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Thanks for the input! Sounds like for garden variety biglaw I'd be alright.
To be fair, my family's about an hour drive from Miami - do you think that matters?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 pm

SandDollars wrote:Thanks for the input! Sounds like for garden variety biglaw I'd be alright.
To be fair, my family's about an hour drive from Miami - do you think that matters?
Nah, that's still the same metro area. Just like you could have family in Katy or The Woodlands and still call yourself a Houstonian.

SandDollars

New

Post by SandDollars » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:22 pm

QContinuum wrote:
SandDollars wrote:Thanks for the input! Sounds like for garden variety biglaw I'd be alright.
Nah, that's still the same metro area. Just like you could have family in Katy or The Woodlands and still call yourself a Houstonian.
Got it, thanks again! I know I'll be grappling with my decision for a while, and information like this is seriously helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”