Columbia law: Biglaw placement in Boston? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
luciditycabbage

New

Columbia law: Biglaw placement in Boston?

Post by luciditycabbage » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Recently got a full ride at Columbia but ultimately want to work in Boston Biglaw (my family is there). I get that Columbia has excellent Biglaw placement but it seems like every resource I've come across has only focused on NYC Biglaw (with some fringe comments about Texas and DC). So I'm wondering if I would have a decent shot at Boston Biglaw coming out of Columbia (since I'm a 0L and don't know how well I'll do, let's assume median grades and average interview skills)?

QContinuum

Re: Columbia law: Biglaw placement in Boston?

Post by QContinuum » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:21 am

You'd be able to get Boston BigLaw from Columbia, no question, esp. with your family ties. The bigger issue is that you probably shouldn't go to law school (any law school) because you're not sold on being a lawyer. You can (and should) defer your admission and try being a software engineer first. If you decide you want to practice law after all, law school will still be there. You won't have lost anything, and in fact your engineering WE will only help you down the road. But once you start law school, you will have permanently shut the door on being an engineer.

Don't rush to start law school when you aren't even sure you want to be a lawyer.

Npret

Gold

Re: Columbia law: Biglaw placement in Boston?

Post by Npret » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 am

You don’t hear much about Boston because it’s a smaller, secondary market.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”