UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LivHandsome

UVA

Post by LivHandsome » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:03 pm

I am a Virginia resident aiming fro PI with the requisite scores to have at least a chance at UVA, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on what the community/student life is like there before I apply (or don't).

I visited when deciding about undergrad and the vibe really didn't appeal to me. I'm a decidedly un-preppy lesbian and was miserable at a preppy Southern high school that felt very similar. My best friend from those years attends now, dislikes it, and has confirmed my reasons for not applying back then. Though I'm much more prepared now to spend 3 years with a whole lot of people with whom I have very little in common, if the law school feels similar to undergrad, I honestly think I'd be happier elsewhere.

Does anyone have any experiences that might shed light on how the law school compares to undergrad, or just generally what being at UVA Law is like from a qualitative standpoint? Thanks much!

P.S. Apologies to anyone who went to TJ's own school and loved it; I respect your feelings and experiences but it really was not the place for me.

albanach

Gold

Re: UVA

Post by albanach » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:47 pm

I was pi focused at UVA. I don't think you'd have any trouble finding a good crowd of similarly minded law students.

More importantly, while there was definitely a southern prep vibe, the school is very, very collegial. Students genuinely care about each other. As an example, I had a laptop crash a night or two before my first final. One email and I had several outlines sent to me. Similarly, I sat in Scott Commons many times and watched students willingly exchange notes and generally support each other.

The was a good PI crowd who generally knew each other. A community within the community I guess. There are lots of great professors who will support you in your pi goals too.

Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions.

LivHandsome

Re: UVA

Post by LivHandsome » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm

That's great! Thank you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”