ASU or waiting & retake? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AYZ3411

New

ASU or waiting & retake?

Post by AYZ3411 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:52 am

Hi there
I’m an international student and trying to decide.
I almost finished submitting apps and received an offer from ASU with decent money (think it’s negotiable to a full ride)
I’m not really sure about big law or public interests or anything, since I’m considering going for a PHD in humanity area after JD, and I still haven’t decided to come back to my country or try to stay in the US in the future. So I guess for me it’s all about experience, and learning everything and seeing the world. And I don’t necessarily like or dislike Phoenix, it’s different from where I come from and that’s good enough. If any visions or dreams in particular, I’d love to go to NYC, but the COA is kind of insane there so I don’t know if I want to spend all the money there in not-t14 schools.
For my academic background, LSAT 164, GPA 3.3 ( got my bachelor degree outside US and ranked AA in LSAC). I signed up for the LSAT in the end of March, it’s supposed to be a desperate trying to get into a t14, but the full ride is so delicious now that I can just take it and done. And I think a full ride is really difficult for me with my sad GPA from even a t20.
So what should I do?

QContinuum

Re: ASU or waiting & retake?

Post by QContinuum » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 pm

If you're planning on pursuing a Ph.D., you shouldn't go to law school at all. You should go to law school if and only if you want to practice law. Don't go to law school if you're "not really sure about big law or public interests or anything." Definitely don't go to law school just for the "experience, and learning everything and seeing the world." There are so many cheaper ways to gain experience and see the world.

beinghuman

Re: ASU or waiting & retake?

Post by beinghuman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 am

As someone who did a PhD then went to law school, I have to advise you that both options are bad.

1- Universities are trimming down their humanities departments and tenure-track positions are getting rarer and rarer so unless you go to a top university and publish something, it's going to be very hard.

2- ASU could be an ok option if you're from Arizona but since you're international, the likelihood of landing a big law firm job that would sponsor for a visa you from ASU is very small and an ASU JD abroad is probably next to useless. I would not go there if I were you.

Also why get a PhD after law school? Getting those degrees just to learn and see the world could end up ruining your career prospects.

AYZ3411 wrote:Hi there
I’m an international student and trying to decide.
I almost finished submitting apps and received an offer from ASU with decent money (think it’s negotiable to a full ride)
I’m not really sure about big law or public interests or anything, since I’m considering going for a PHD in humanity area after JD, and I still haven’t decided to come back to my country or try to stay in the US in the future. So I guess for me it’s all about experience, and learning everything and seeing the world. And I don’t necessarily like or dislike Phoenix, it’s different from where I come from and that’s good enough. If any visions or dreams in particular, I’d love to go to NYC, but the COA is kind of insane there so I don’t know if I want to spend all the money there in not-t14 schools.
For my academic background, LSAT 164, GPA 3.3 ( got my bachelor degree outside US and ranked AA in LSAC). I signed up for the LSAT in the end of March, it’s supposed to be a desperate trying to get into a t14, but the full ride is so delicious now that I can just take it and done. And I think a full ride is really difficult for me with my sad GPA from even a t20.
So what should I do?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”