Top MBA vs UVA JD Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Specter1389

Bronze

Top MBA vs UVA JD

Post by Specter1389 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 pm

I've been pretty set on attending UVA Law and a moving onto a career as an attorney for a while now. However, I scored a 740 on the GMAT two weeks ago which caused me to do some thinking. After speaking with some friends, I decided to submit apps to HBS, Wharton, and Darden for Round 2 MBA apps. Obviously, I haven't been admitted to any of them yet, but I think I submitted strong applications. Darden would allow me to pursue an MBA along with the JD and is my top choice of the 3 for a variety of reasons. However, if I somehow got into Wharton or HBS, I feel it would be a tough decision. All of my expenses at UVA Law would be covered from the GI Bill and savings. This would not be the case at HBS or Wharton since they are private schools. But, 2 years of school versus 3 is very appealing to me because of my age and my fiancee and I wanting to start a family. Any advice is appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: Top MBA vs UVA JD

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:46 am

Do you want to be an attorney?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:44 pm

Go to business school.

No doubt. The fact that you are asking this, shows that you aren't 100% sold on being a lawyer. And if thats the case, B School is way better. From a top B school, you will make more money, you will have more fun, you will work less hours. The only reason to go to law school over B school is if you want to be a lawyer. Sounds obvious but it needs to be said.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm

^^
OP we can’t decide your profession for you. But it sounds like you just want a job, not a career as a lawyer.

Don’t go to law school just because you used to think that is what you wanted.

Go to business school.

mickey_mouse

Bronze

Post by mickey_mouse » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 pm

Probably business school, considering everything you said (age, opportunity cost of additional yr of school, etc). Unfortunately there really aren't any good public MBA programs on the east coast, but Darden isn't a bad choice. And obviously if you get into HBS/Wharton that's hard to turn down

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:21 pm

In big law and got full ride to t14 and I would take MBA if I could go back in time, hands down, fwiw.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:46 pm

In biglaw and something I can’t stress enough is that the law thing only really works if you really really like being a lawyer.

Now the obvious follow-up is “how can I know I really really like being a lawyer if I’ve never been one?”

The answer is err on the side of assuming you won’t like being a lawyer due to how miserable people are in high level legal positions (and especially low level legal positions) who don’t really really like it.

B school is probably TCR here.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Specter1389 wrote:I've been pretty set on attending UVA Law and a moving onto a career as an attorney for a while now. However, I scored a 740 on the GMAT two weeks ago which caused me to do some thinking. After speaking with some friends, I decided to submit apps to HBS, Wharton, and Darden for Round 2 MBA apps. Obviously, I haven't been admitted to any of them yet, but I think I submitted strong applications. Darden would allow me to pursue an MBA along with the JD and is my top choice of the 3 for a variety of reasons. However, if I somehow got into Wharton or HBS, I feel it would be a tough decision. All of my expenses at UVA Law would be covered from the GI Bill and savings. This would not be the case at HBS or Wharton since they are private schools. But, 2 years of school versus 3 is very appealing to me because of my age and my fiancee and I wanting to start a family. Any advice is appreciated.
HBS and Wharton do yellow ribbon. Or are you not 100% eligible?

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Specter1389 wrote:I've been pretty set on attending UVA Law and a moving onto a career as an attorney for a while now. However, I scored a 740 on the GMAT two weeks ago which caused me to do some thinking. After speaking with some friends, I decided to submit apps to HBS, Wharton, and Darden for Round 2 MBA apps. Obviously, I haven't been admitted to any of them yet, but I think I submitted strong applications. Darden would allow me to pursue an MBA along with the JD and is my top choice of the 3 for a variety of reasons. However, if I somehow got into Wharton or HBS, I feel it would be a tough decision. All of my expenses at UVA Law would be covered from the GI Bill and savings. This would not be the case at HBS or Wharton since they are private schools. But, 2 years of school versus 3 is very appealing to me because of my age and my fiancee and I wanting to start a family. Any advice is appreciated.
HBS and Wharton do yellow ribbon. Or are you not 100% eligible?
Not 100% eligible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:16 am

Just wanted to provide y’all with an update. Was accepted to Wharton and Darden. Will have a tough decision to make in the next few weeks.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:25 pm

Congrats! Now, do you want to be a lawyer? If you do not, don’t go to law school.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:32 pm

I can’t stress enough that you shouldn’t go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. I have six-figure debt and enjoy the majority of my days in practice. I have zero—absolutely zero—regret choosing law school. It’s not always great, but I enjoy it on balance.

My significant other is also a biglaw associate, has zero debt (not even CoL debt) and hates virtually everyday of practice. SO is on SO’s second biglaw job, too, is really good at the job, and just hates it, almost to the point of depression. Wishes everyday that they did an MBA instead.

Do the MBA if you are unsure whether you want to be a lawyer or if you think you’d eventually like to
Move into
A business role. Don’t waste money and opportunity cost for law school unless you want to be a LAWYER. Hell, many may not agree with this, but I think that if you want to be a transactional lawyer (and not a litigator), you should just go to business school. Full stop. Under every circumstance.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Specter1389 wrote:Just wanted to provide y’all with an update. Was accepted to Wharton and Darden. Will have a tough decision to make in the next few weeks.
The fact that it's anywhere close to being a "tough decision" for you actually means it's an easy call: Go to b-school. Don't go to law school unless you could not see yourself doing anything other than practicing law - and it's clear that's not the case for you. An MBA is a versatile degree. A J.D. is not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”