Negotiating Schollys Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Eggs

New

Negotiating Schollys

Post by Eggs » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 pm

I am wondering about the process of negotiating schollys. Does it ever backfire? I have offers from very similar schools near each other. School A will cost 7K a year and school B will cost 4K a year after the schollys I currently have. Should I be able to get full tuition at both?

When is the best time to try negotiating and how would one go about it. I’ve seen people on here talk about negotiating a lot so it sounds fairly common? Just looking for some advice

QContinuum

Re: Negotiating Schollys

Post by QContinuum » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Eggs wrote:I am wondering about the process of negotiating schollys. Does it ever backfire? I have offers from very similar schools near each other. School A will cost 7K a year and school B will cost 4K a year after the schollys I currently have. Should I be able to get full tuition at both?
Does it backfire... as in will a school retract a scholarship they've already offered to you? I've never heard of that happening. Obviously, negotiate professionally. So long as you don't threaten or harass anyone, I can't imagine any law school retracting an offer they've already extended you.
Eggs wrote:When is the best time to try negotiating and how would one go about it. I’ve seen people on here talk about negotiating a lot so it sounds fairly common? Just looking for some advice
Sooner rather than later, because the further along the cycle gets, the more money will have already been given out. But obviously you need to have something to negotiate with - generally, either an acceptance to a higher-ranked school, or a more generous offer at a similarly-ranked school.

If you're already on near-full schollies at both of your schools, sure, try to press for full tuition. Do either schollies come with any stipulations (must maintain certain GPA or class rank to keep scholarship)?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”