Pepperdine Law -Older Applicant 30 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
coralconsulting77

New

Pepperdine Law -Older Applicant 30

Post by coralconsulting77 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Hey everyone, first time posting here. I have a question I wanted to float out to TLS folks. I am planning to take the LSAT in jan, hit a mid 150s diagnostic (would have loved to have been higher) That being said, I am prepping heavily hoping to hit a couple 165 or above bfore I take the actual exam, I'll accept a 163 as a low.

A little bit about my background:

CAS GPA is a 3.16
Undergraduate (degree GPA from 4-Year is a 3.57-honors and fellowships awarded) I went to a JC first and transferred that was a 4.0 scale, in addition some of the courses that are counting against my GPA are ones from nearly 14 years ago when my parents required me to take advanced math courses while in high school- I struggled with mather heavily until college, so of course I bombed those courses. I graduated in 2012.

Anyway, I have over 5 years of work experience in entertainment (1 year at a boutique and almost 2 years at one of the top 3)
After talent rep, I wanted to get more into the business side of things and went off to work for an entertainment business management start up where I worked aa a coordinator and did basically everything from coordinate payroll, to corporate compliance, contract review, and cash flows. I really enjoyed this job, and it allpwed me to focus on pursuing an area of interest that I had always enjoyed at the agency which was the transactional and back end side of the business. My boss and I had a great relationship, and while there I began studying for the entrance exams. Unfortunately, we were a small shop and 7 months ago he had to let me go to cut costs. Were still on really good terms, and he wrote one of my letters of recommendation. Over the course of the past 7 months, I've been prepping for the exam while working under contract at a studio in business affairs and business strategy. An executive from the studio is writing another letter of mine.

So that's where my work experience lays. That being said, I really would like to do an accelerated JD program like the one offered at Pepperdine. However, I know their ranking is relatively low. I want to prioritize a fast track program over any other school that is not a t14 (partially because I don't think I'll get a t14 unless I kill the LSAT and want to be realisitic, however, even if I do well on the LSAT and don't get a t14 and get into a school like University if Arizona or Boulder, or even USC if I'm lucky).

So here is my rationale, my network in entertainment and work experience is pretty great. Furthermore, put of my social network, many of my very close friends are attorneys (2 are big law t14 grads, 1 is at a boutique firm) Furthermore, my previous boss was an attorney, two of my former clients are entertainment attorneys at mediocre boutiques, and 2 of my colleagues from the big talent agency (1 is a southwestern grad, and 1 UCLA) are also practicing. The SW grad is at a decent transactional firm and the UCLA grad is a biz affairs exec at a studio. Does all of this mean that I'll definitely get a job? no. I'll have to spend the next 2 years flexing my network like crazy probably, but that being said, I would hope that the work experience and good relationships would get me in the door and secure me a spot at a good firm if not right after grad school, within a year out (I'll work at a mid level first if I have to). For me this is more of a career pivot. I want to do transactional law, and intend to focus on securities and trusts while in law school because to be honest that's far more useful that understanding studio deals (which I have seen 100s of and can tell you, they're pretty straight forward after a while, you just have to watch out for people trying to screw you-fortunately not many people are as smart as they think they are).

My end game goal is to get into entertainment law and statt developing my own client roster or go right into business affairs, which I do love. I want to do this as soon as possible for as little as possible so cost of tuition and speed of program definitely matter (for fiscal reasons as well as network strength-the sooner the better)

I'm considering the following schools if I hit my LSAT goal, which I really hope will happen. I'm dedicating a ton of time to it and taking a course (I know, I apologize for posting prior to that hurdle being accomplished, it's just that we all know how soon after the LSAT priority deadlines are)

Pepperdine -ideally with at least 50% scholarship
southwestern-will only consider if I get a full ride
USC-Great school but it's a 3 year program
U of A-same as USC
Boulder-they have a 2.5 year program that incorporates internships over the summers and loads up 2nd and 3rd year courses to make it faster. I'd consider, but not a fan of leaving LA due to post grad goals.
UCLA-I don't think I have a shot at this one
Northwestern-if I manage to somehow blow the LSAT out of the water. I'm probably go here even though it's a 3 year largely because I would want to take some of their biz courses as well.

Can anyone please poke holes in this or reinforce it? I really want to hash this out and get some input from people who are in my shoes (older applicants with WE) or work in entertainment or who in general have a good grasp on what people in my situatuon may be facing given my goals and background.

thanks!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”