GWU ED Scholly? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aadcsplitter

New

GWU ED Scholly?

Post by aadcsplitter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Need some advice--

I am considering PT Evening Programs in MD/DC. For a bunch of reasons I think GW is my best fit. They have a Binding Presidential Merit Scholarship (Full Tuition), but the BINDING part creeps me out.

(A) possible nightmare scenario is that I am accepted under the program and I am committed to GW but GT offers me decent $ too. I'm keeping my job so COA is only tuition/fees/books but 1/2 price at GT > free at GW in my opinion. Am I wrong? GT is probably the only school around here for whom I would be willing to borrow significantly to attend.

What are TLS's thoughts? Stats below if it matters.

-URM: AA male
-3.2 / 167 (one test, not retaking)
-10+ years w/e Federal Contracting with DOD

Thoughts from the TLS literati? Much appreciated

albanach

Gold

Re: GWU ED Scholly?

Post by albanach » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:12 pm

aadcsplitter wrote:Need some advice--

I am considering PT Evening Programs in MD/DC. For a bunch of reasons I think GW is my best fit. They have a Binding Presidential Merit Scholarship (Full Tuition), but the BINDING part creeps me out.

(A) possible nightmare scenario is that I am accepted under the program and I am committed to GW but GT offers me decent $ too. I'm keeping my job so COA is only tuition/fees/books but 1/2 price at GT > free at GW in my opinion. Am I wrong? GT is probably the only school around here for whom I would be willing to borrow significantly to attend.

What are TLS's thoughts? Stats below if it matters.

-URM: AA male
-3.2 / 167 (one test, not retaking)
-10+ years w/e Federal Contracting with DOD

Thoughts from the TLS literati? Much appreciated
Are you really set on only going to school part time? Studying for law school part time is going to be really hard. Do the schools offer employment info for graduates from their part time programs vs. full time?

Why are you unwilling to retake? I always struggle to understand this when someone hops on to say "I want to commit to four years of study and the rest of my life as a lawyer, but I'm not willing to consider another ten weeks of LSAT studies to make everything else I'm aiming for easier."

What are your long term goals as a lawyer?

Don't suppose you live in NOVA? I know you ruled out full-time but if you changed your mind that would be important with regards to UVA.

aadcsplitter

New

Re: GWU ED Scholly?

Post by aadcsplitter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes. Set on only PT. I will be doing things the hard way with a job and family. I not aware of hiring data part time vs full time. My guess is if its not required by ABA they don't track it (and certainly don't publish it). I haven't seen any splits like that on LST.

I'm not keen on retaking for a few reasons, if you PM me I'll explain. I'm interested in Public Contracts Law which is part of what interests me about GW. They have a concentration. And while I know certificates don't matter, the community definitely does. GW is the home of the ABA Public Contract Law journal and many of their graduates (if Linkedin, google, and gossip can be relied upon) do well entering this area of practice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”