Does this make sense? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chess23

New

Does this make sense?

Post by Chess23 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:08 am

I am currently studying for the LSAT and after reading some of the posts on this forum I’m wondering if the plan I had in mind actually makes sense so I would love any input. I do not plan to go into BigLaw. My plan is to become self-employed and create my own business focusing on real estate law (I’m currently a broker) and maybe some estate law as well. Given my plan to be an entrepreneur rather than win the favor of large law firms, does which school I go to really matter? The current thinking is to try to get a substantial or full scholarship to a low/unranked school. My spouse will be working full time covering cost of living (within reason as that depends on the location greatly). Hoping to get a paid for law education in a relatively cheap location and then start my own practice. Is this feasible/realistic? Great full for any insights

QContinuum

Re: Does this make sense?

Post by QContinuum » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:51 am

If your plan is to hang your own shingle, no, you don't need to attend a T13/T20 or even a T1. But consider the following points, if you haven't already:
  • What's your uGPA? If you have a strong uGPA, you should try to do well on the LSAT and attend a high-ranked law school. Even if you don't have a good uGPA, you can still get into a high-ranked law school with a high-enough LSAT. The T13/T20/T1 award merit scholarships, including full scholarships. Why attend a third-tier school for free if you could attend a high-ranked school - which would give you much greater career flexibility down the road - for free?
  • Going back again to career flexibility, how committed are you to the idea of hanging your own shingle? Have you researched the challenges and difficulties involved in solo practice? Are you aware of what your likely income will be?

mmac

New

Post by mmac » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Chess23 wrote:I am currently studying for the LSAT and after reading some of the posts on this forum I’m wondering if the plan I had in mind actually makes sense so I would love any input. I do not plan to go into BigLaw. My plan is to become self-employed and create my own business focusing on real estate law (I’m currently a broker) and maybe some estate law as well. Given my plan to be an entrepreneur rather than win the favor of large law firms, does which school I go to really matter? The current thinking is to try to get a substantial or full scholarship to a low/unranked school. My spouse will be working full time covering cost of living (within reason as that depends on the location greatly). Hoping to get a paid for law education in a relatively cheap location and then start my own practice. Is this feasible/realistic? Great full for any insights
Keep in mind that clients care where you went to law school, and it's always better to get experience working somewhere else before hanging a shingle. Since you're in real estate, a better question for you is probably whether law school has a good return on investment for what you want to do. I know at least one lawyer who became a realtor and makes much more doing that than practicing law.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:08 am

mmac wrote:Keep in mind that clients care where you went to law school, and it's always better to get experience working somewhere else before hanging a shingle.
This is very true, especially the bolded. Law schools (regardless of rank) don't really prepare students to practice law straight out of the gate. A fresh law school grad hanging up their own shingle is basically going to be a malpractice machine, at least for the first few years.

denmarkwahlberg

New

Post by denmarkwahlberg » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:57 pm

no

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:52 am

I don't think your plan is realistic. The likelihood of success by going solo upon graduation is very slim. You'd have no real training and a relatively small legal network. Plus, the amount of work involved in creating your own legal business is going to be extremely high. I'd recommend you stick to your job as you'd be foregoing 3 years of income, plus repaying law school debt and potentially returning to your old job if things don't work out. Also, keep in mind that your options in terms of employment opportunities will be slimmer the lower your school is ranked, should you decide to do something else with your JD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”