Does it matter where I go? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
si95

New

Does it matter where I go?

Post by si95 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Hey everyone

So as of right now I've applied to most of the schools I plan on applying to. I've applied to 3 schools in the T-13, and pretty much blanketed the 14-30 range. I've already gotten accepted into Penn State Dickinson with a full tuition offer, so I'm holding onto that as a back up.

My career goals do not include big law, it's just not for me I don't think. I plan on doing something in international law, either working for the State Department, the UN or another organization like that. I also wouldn't reject working for a state government, although it definitely is not my first choice and that would be only if I really needed a job bad. Eventually I would like to get into being a judge or having a high position in government/the UN.

My question is does it matter where I go to school for these kind of jobs? Obviously I'm saying that I can go to an unranked school or anything like that, but is it necessary to go to a T-13 school for these kinds of jobs or should I look at the money I get from everywhere then make a decision? I don't want to go to a regional school like Wisconsin and then be stuck in the midwest working for the state government.

Thanks!

Stats: 3.6, 166

QContinuum

Re: Does it matter where I go?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 pm

si95 wrote:I plan on doing something in international law, either working for the State Department, the UN or another organization like that. I also wouldn't reject working for a state government, although it definitely is not my first choice and that would be only if I really needed a job bad. Eventually I would like to get into being a judge or having a high position in government/the UN.

My question is does it matter where I go to school for these kind of jobs?
Bad news: "International law" pretty much only exists for YLS grads. Everyone and their brother wants the types of uber-prestigious positions you want. These are positions that would be very tough to get from CCN, let alone a non-T13 school. BigLaw is vastly, vastly easier to get than the unicorn UN/State Department/etc. positions you're hoping to land.

Do you have gangbuster softs? If so, you may still have a shot at Yale. Otherwise, I recommend retaking the LSAT until you have a shot at the upper T13, at the very least. You'll need the very best school you can possibly get into.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Second QContinuum. The jobs you are talking about (U.N., State Department) are unicorn jobs and are not a realistic career goal for most students. Becoming a judge is generally something that happens after at least a decade of successful practice- you need connections within the legal community to be a successful candidate in most places.

Taking a full ride to a second-tier school can be an OK option if the full ride has no stipulations, you will truly be able to graduate debt-free (due to other sources of funding), and you are comfortable with a non-remunerative career track.

Dahl

New

Post by Dahl » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:08 pm

If you have the grades to get in to a T14, you should get full offers at some decent T1 schools. Won't help you get the jobs you're talking about, but you could still work for a federal agency on some level, since you don't seem excited about working for local government.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”