Best School for IP Law in TX Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pierrestpierre

New

Best School for IP Law in TX

Post by pierrestpierre » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:48 am

Numbers are 3.6/166

I graduated from UT with a degree in engineering and I'm currently in my first year out of school working in the construction industry. IP law is always something I've had my eye on but I was never sure I wanted to go to grad school until I realized what working in industry is like.

Suppose my end goal were to end up with a position as an IP attorney in either Houston or Austin - is there a huge difference in my ability to get hired in either city between going to UH or UT?

UH is ranked higher in the field of IP according to US news but UT is the more prestigious/well-known school overall. If I were to end up aiming for UT I would probably retake the LSAT in January to see if I could wring any money out of it since 166 seems a little borderline for even getting in to UT (work stuff prevents me from being able to take again in November.)

trmckenz

Bronze

Re: Best School for IP Law in TX

Post by trmckenz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am

UT is by far the superior school, even for IP. I doubt IP students at UH struggle to find jobs, but students at UT typically get their pick of jobs, especially in large law firms in Texas. The IP-specific rankings don’t mean anything.

Your numbers are solid. I bet you can get into UT with them, assuming the rest of your application is strong. Consider applying Early Decision if you’re in-state and don’t care about scholarship money. No harm in retaking... it might make you more competitive for scholarships.

Whatever your strategy, it’s worth the extra effort to go to UT!

Source: I am a patent agent from Texas. Currently a 2L at UT. I had lots of job offers in Dallas, Austin, and Houston (many non-IP jobs too). Happy to field any questions.

QContinuum

Re: Best School for IP Law in TX

Post by QContinuum » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:03 am

pierrestpierre wrote:UH is ranked higher in the field of IP according to US news but UT is the more prestigious/well-known school overall. If I were to end up aiming for UT I would probably retake the LSAT in January to see if I could wring any money out of it since 166 seems a little borderline for even getting in to UT (work stuff prevents me from being able to take again in November.)
USNWR's specialty rankings are useless (and perhaps even worse than useless, as they can actively harm/mislead applicants into attending the wrong school). The main USNWR ranking is great; rely on that specifically. Most definitely do not choose UH over UT!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”