ED Northwestern? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
waystoneinnkeeper

New

ED Northwestern?

Post by waystoneinnkeeper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:56 pm

I was planning on EDing Northwestern this cycle but now that they've lowered the Ed scholarship to 120k I'm no longer certain it's the right choice.

3.65 GPA, 176 LSAT
Would like to work in Chicago or Texas. Or really anywhere other than New York/Cali
Fairly debt averse, but have no UG debt and a moderate amount in savings. Basically I just don't want to pay more than 100k in tuition

If I have a reasonable chance at getting a better scholarship at another school, or a relatively similar scholarship at a better school I'd rather not lock myself down with ED.

squappy

New

Re: ED Northwestern?

Post by squappy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:43 pm

waystoneinnkeeper wrote:I was planning on EDing Northwestern this cycle but now that they've lowered the Ed scholarship to 120k I'm no longer certain it's the right choice.

3.65 GPA, 176 LSAT
Would like to work in Chicago or Texas. Or really anywhere other than New York/Cali
Fairly debt averse, but have no UG debt and a moderate amount in savings. Basically I just don't want to pay more than 100k in tuition

If I have a reasonable chance at getting a better scholarship at another school, or a relatively similar scholarship at a better school I'd rather not lock myself down with ED.
As someone who really wanted to be in Chicago, and applied and got in ED a couple years ago when it was still 150k, I would personally skip. I am actually surprised they lowered it, if anything I was expected them to raise it seeing as they jack up tuition a couple grand each year.
At this point, that's less than a 2/3rds scholarship and you are foregoing any other offers of admissions or scholarships from peer schools. With a 176 I would think you would get that kind of money, if not more from NU.

At the very least check out myLSN and see what kind of other options you have, but geez I wonder what that 100 million dollar Pritzker donation is being used for.

waystoneinnkeeper

New

Post by waystoneinnkeeper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:24 pm

squappy wrote:
waystoneinnkeeper wrote:I was planning on EDing Northwestern this cycle but now that they've lowered the Ed scholarship to 120k I'm no longer certain it's the right choice.

3.65 GPA, 176 LSAT

As someone who really wanted to be in Chicago, and applied and got in ED a couple years ago when it was still 150k, I would personally skip. I am actually surprised they lowered it, if anything I was expected them to raise it seeing as they jack up tuition a couple grand each year.
At this point, that's less than a 2/3rds scholarship and you are foregoing any other offers of admissions or scholarships from peer schools. With a 176 I would think you would get that kind of money, if not more from NU.

At the very least check out myLSN and see what kind of other options you have, but geez I wonder what that 100 million dollar Pritzker donation is being used for.

Yea, I was kind of hoping they would increase the scholarship now that tuition has gone up a full 10k/year from when it started, definitely wasn't expecting the decrease. Thanks for the feedback, esp helpful from someone who previously decided to ED.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Applying NU ED seems like a waste of your GPA and LSAT considering the amount of the scholarship and what you give up if you get it. Apply broadly to the T14 and negotiate scholarship money accordingly.

Leviathan1

New

Post by Leviathan1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:07 pm

Don't ED Northwestern! You will get more from RD or other schools like Duke, Michigan...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mencken1

New

Post by Mencken1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Not with your stats. Sure the GPA is below median a lot of places, but you will be offered money at a number of t13s, and maybe just as much from lower t13s; at least from what I'm seeing on mylsn.

waystoneinnkeeper

New

Post by waystoneinnkeeper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Everyone seems to agree that Ed is not a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure why. Looking at mylsn it seems pretty likely that I'd get 120k at Michigan, but it seems really unlikely that I'd get a similar or better scholarship at any other school with my gpa. Given my desire to work in Chicago Northwestern seems like the best choice other than HYS (which I either wouldn't get in or would have to pay sticker) or UChi where I'd be lucky to get 60k. Am I just looking at things wrong? Is there really any advantage to Rd for me? I'm becoming more uncertain the closer I get to the app deadline.

zcush123

New

Post by zcush123 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:39 pm

3.65 GPA, 176 LSAT

I was just looking at LSN and it looks like you'll get just as much if not more from Michigan, Duke, and Virginia so I don't think ED makes sense considering you might even get more from Northwestern regular decision.

squappy

New

Post by squappy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:35 pm

waystoneinnkeeper wrote:Everyone seems to agree that Ed is not a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure why. Looking at mylsn it seems pretty likely that I'd get 120k at Michigan, but it seems really unlikely that I'd get a similar or better scholarship at any other school with my gpa. Given my desire to work in Chicago Northwestern seems like the best choice other than HYS (which I either wouldn't get in or would have to pay sticker) or UChi where I'd be lucky to get 60k. Am I just looking at things wrong? Is there really any advantage to Rd for me? I'm becoming more uncertain the closer I get to the app deadline.
I had the same logic, but my stats were overall worse than yours and the scholarship was bigger/tuition was cheaper so it made complete sense to me, especially since Chicago/ western great lakes is the only place I wanted to end up, so I think it was an obvious choice. I think its still a reasonable safe choice in your position, and NU is a great place to be when targeting Chicago. I guess it comes down to how risk adverse you are in terms of law school admissions.
Just keep in mind you are foregoing all other options and locking yourself in to 25-30k a year in tuition plus CoL payments, so it is not the same fantastic deal it was when earlier posts on this website discussed the merits of doing ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waystoneinnkeeper

New

Post by waystoneinnkeeper » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 pm

squappy wrote:
waystoneinnkeeper wrote:Everyone seems to agree that Ed is not a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure why. Looking at mylsn it seems pretty likely that I'd get 120k at Michigan, but it seems really unlikely that I'd get a similar or better scholarship at any other school with my gpa. Given my desire to work in Chicago Northwestern seems like the best choice other than HYS (which I either wouldn't get in or would have to pay sticker) or UChi where I'd be lucky to get 60k. Am I just looking at things wrong? Is there really any advantage to Rd for me? I'm becoming more uncertain the closer I get to the app deadline.
I had the same logic, but my stats were overall worse than yours and the scholarship was bigger/tuition was cheaper so it made complete sense to me, especially since Chicago/ western great lakes is the only place I wanted to end up, so I think it was an obvious choice. I think its still a reasonable safe choice in your position, and NU is a great place to be when targeting Chicago. I guess it comes down to how risk adverse you are in terms of law school admissions.
Just keep in mind you are foregoing all other options and locking yourself in to 25-30k a year in tuition plus CoL payments, so it is not the same fantastic deal it was when earlier posts on this website discussed the merits of doing ED.
I would say I'm pretty risk adverse. If only they hadn't decreased this would be an easy decision for me. It is perhaps worth noting that CoL will be covered by SO so that's not really an issue. So even at 120k with my current savings I'd end up with little or no debt, probably 30k in loans max. It just doesn't seem likely that I can do better unless mylsn is substantially less reliable than I would assume. That being said from what I understand Michigan places well in Chicago and based on mylsn I could reasonably expect around 120k there. Using that as a sort of safety I could roll the dice and hope for better offers

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm

For the record, Northwestern gives out even bigger scholarship to applicants who do not do ED. So you could potentially get a fullride if you apply on the regular timeline.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:40 am

carsondalywashere wrote:For the record, Northwestern gives out even bigger scholarship to applicants who do not do ED. So you could potentially get a fullride if you apply on the regular timeline.
This

waystoneinnkeeper

New

Post by waystoneinnkeeper » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:49 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:For the record, Northwestern gives out even bigger scholarship to applicants who do not do ED. So you could potentially get a fullride if you apply on the regular timeline.
This
Looking at mylsn for recent class years no one in my stat range has gotten more than 120k (few got that much). The LST report suggests that they're maybe more generous than mylsn suggests, but I don't see a better scholarship at nu regular decision as a likely outcome unless there's substantial anecdata contradicting what is found on mylsn.

Not trying to be combative here, and I appreciate everyone's input I'm just legitimately starting to wonder if other people are seeing something I'm not or if I'm just more risk adverse than most on here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 pm

waystoneinnkeeper wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
This
Looking at mylsn for recent class years no one in my stat range has gotten more than 120k (few got that much). The LST report suggests that they're maybe more generous than mylsn suggests, but I don't see a better scholarship at nu regular decision as a likely outcome unless there's substantial anecdata contradicting what is found on mylsn.

Not trying to be combative here, and I appreciate everyone's input I'm just legitimately starting to wonder if other people are seeing something I'm not or if I'm just more risk adverse than most on here.
dont be daft, mylsn is self-selective reporting. I'll pm you.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:39 am

thatlawlkid wrote:
waystoneinnkeeper wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
This

dont be daft, mylsn is self-selective reporting. I'll pm you.
Also law school admissions is increasingly getting less selective

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”